Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Should I move to baltimore?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Fern

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 8:21 pm
amother Lightblue wrote:
Where would one move to fit in if you are not super yeshivish and not into NY/NJ styles or latest fashion? Low key/low maintenance type. My baby wears carter's, bigger kids wear children's place/target...

I couldn't answer the OP, but I can answer you.

Many, many people in Baltimore are like you. I live in the Pickwick area, and fit in just fine. You can also try Indian Village, Taney/Strathmore area...really most areas that aren't Beazer or maybe Ranchleigh (for the styles) or Yeshiva Lane (where you wouldn't move anyway).

Also, "not super yeshivish" might not mean the same thing as what you're used to. I'd say that in most places in town, yeshivish and MO and everything in between live right next to each other and we're all friends. Maybe not extreme MO or extreme yeshivish, we're a bit more watered down here than in the tri-state area.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 8:36 pm
amother Lightblue wrote:
Where would one move to fit in if you are not super yeshivish and not into NY/NJ styles or latest fashion? Low key/low maintenance type. My baby wears carter's, bigger kids wear children's place/target...
Baltimore must be in a different universe than New York and New Jersey. You are describing most of frum Jewish Baltimore. You will fit in anywhere. There is no super-trendy neighborhood here although Beazer, Stevenson, Summit Park, Bancroft, and Westbrook/Fallstaff are more expensive.

And despite the the number of tear-downs turning into mansions going up in Ranchleigh, most of the homes there — and most of the homeowners — are more simple. I'm just finishing a kitchen remodel in a Ranchleigh home that stays within the footprint of the house. It's a functional and beautiful kosher kitchen in a small space.

amother
Darkblue

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 8:43 pm
I will add that I live in an area where the houses sell for over 600 for a basic house, not redone, and many people dress their kids in carters and target and Marshall’s. When they get older is when you start spending more money.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 8:50 pm
Baltimore is a growing community and it has always been a very diverse community, lots of shuls, lots of flavors. It will definitely feel like OOT coming from in town. I live in the 5T now and grew up in Baltimore. Housing is going up. The traditionally nice area is Fallstaff/Labyrinth closer to Greenspring/Smith side of town. There is more than one Fallstaff and Labyrinth because they stop and the Park Heights side is not as nice. The houses there are 5T style uniquely designed custom houses. There are also newer modern style houses in Beazer and then there are people knocking down and building houses all over.

amother
Lightblue

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 8:53 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Baltimore must be in a different universe than New York and New Jersey. You are describing most of frum Jewish Baltimore. You will fit in anywhere. There is no super-trendy neighborhood here although Beazer, Stevenson, Summit Park, Bancroft, and Westbrook/Fallstaff are more expensive.

And despite the the number of tear-downs turning into mansions going up in Ranchleigh, most of the homes there — and most of the homeowners — are more simple. I'm just finishing a kitchen remodel in a Ranchleigh home that stays within the footprint of the house. It's a functional and beautiful kosher kitchen in a small space.

Thanks. Not from NY/NJ but spent enough time there to know that crowd. I live in another major community that is getting more and more expensive and more "trendy". Gemachs for name brand clothing only type. I don't fit in. But may be moving to Baltimore for a few reasons...
Looking on zillow, where should I zone in on? We want a 3-4 BR home, not condo, but want to try to keep costs down if possible.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 9:50 pm
Just wondering… where do these “super yeshivish” people who are into the name brands live???

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 9:58 pm
amother Lightblue wrote:
...Looking on zillow, where should I zone in on? We want a 3-4 BR home, not condo, but want to try to keep costs down if possible.
In the City...Key/Simmonds/Bland; Taney and streets off of Taney on both sides of Cross Country; near Glen, Menlo, and around the Agudah of Park Heights. In the County... Indian Village and near Wellwood. But I am not a real estate agent and those areas are just my impressions.

I live in Cheswolde. A very pretty neighborhood with many young families. Any home that is (relatively) reasonably priced around here will need a lot of work. There's a house for sale around the corner from me on Strathmore. By owner with a phone number on the sign. Nice lot. I'm sure they're asking $$$$. And also near me, a tiny house needing a major expansion on Woodcrest near Hanson — but I don't see a listing for it.

Consider finding a real estate agent who knows the area well.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 10:18 pm
No

amother
Tanzanite

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 10:27 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
In the City...Key/Simmonds/Bland; Taney and streets off of Taney on both sides of Cross Country; near Glen, Menlo, and around the Agudah of Park Heights. In the County... Indian Village and near Wellwood. But I am not a real estate agent and those areas are just my impressions.

I live in Cheswolde. A very pretty neighborhood with many young families. Any home that is (relatively) reasonably priced around here will need a lot of work. There's a house for sale around the corner from me on Strathmore. By owner with a phone number on the sign. Nice lot. I'm sure they're asking $$$$. And also near me, a tiny house needing a major expansion on Woodcrest near Hanson — but I don't see a listing for it.

Consider finding a real estate agent who knows the area well.

The house on woodcrest sold.

amother
Snow

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 10:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
Just wondering… where do these “super yeshivish” people who are into the name brands live???

I don't know any super yeshivish people into brand names. The "super yeshivish" people I know live pretty simply. Then again, I live in the upper park heights area where BH people generally live simply.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 10:33 pm
Baltimore is OOT. You should visit before you move. It doesn’t sound anything like what I read on the other threads and honestly I sure hope it stays that way (in regards to expectations and gifts and kids needing certain brands of insanely expensive clothing, etc etc)….

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 10:40 pm
amother DarkViolet wrote:
Just want to mention that you should also take into account though that Baltimore is not such a safe city. There is a lot of poverty and crime.

This is a major understatement

OP , I would seriously look into Silver Springs

Last edited by naturalmom5 on Mon, Jul 31 2023, 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Whitewash

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 10:41 pm
Nobody mentioned summit park! Younger people, less yeshivish overall. Mix between smaller homes and some high end ones that are much larger. OP depending on your age you may like it a lot there. Definitely mostly younger families.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 10:48 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:
Nobody mentioned summit park! Younger people, less yeshivish overall. Mix between smaller homes and some high end ones that are much larger. OP depending on your age you may like it a lot there. Definitely mostly younger families.

No. Please don’t be encouraging people who want to live a more expensive rich flaunting lifestyle to move here. Please save our Baltimore feel. I love it being OOT and strongly discourage anyone coming who wants it to be otherwise.

amother
Darkblue

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 11:32 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
This is a major statement

Silver spring (no s at the end!!) is more out of town. Not as yeshivish, no school choices, everything is more expensive, and isn’t as safe as it once was. Also has fewer restaurants. Houses are more expensive, tuition is higher.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 11:36 pm
amother Snow wrote:
I don't know any super yeshivish people into brand names. The "super yeshivish" people I know live pretty simply. Then again, I live in the upper park heights area where BH people generally live simply.

same. I have lived here for approx two decades. Have not come across any super yesihvish families at all who are into brand names and are fancy. I am not sure there are many poeple like that in baltimore. and im on the yeshivish spectrum.

amother
Opal

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 11:41 pm
I’m just coming from a wedding where one side was from Baltimore. Looked pretty simple out of towny

amother
Topaz

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 12:24 am
amother Iris wrote:
Yes, there are nicer areas. People are knocking down homes and rebuilding all over. It’s not the Baltimore of 20 years ago. They’re are lots of people who are living in ways the clearly point to a higher parnassah- clothing, Sheitels, vacations, cars ect

Unfortunately

The best thing about Baltimore is the low key, low pressure, simple lifestyle.
Wish we could keep it this way

amother
Topaz

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 12:29 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
This is a major statement

Do you live in Baltimore?
Cuz we feel very safe majority of the time.
Even when living near the JCC, we didn’t experience any significant crime.
Now on the other side of town and you wouldn’t know we are living in a city with sky high crime rate
(Since majority of crime is drug/gang related in specific far away neighborhoods)

amother
Darkblue

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 1:28 am
amother Topaz wrote:
Do you live in Baltimore?
Cuz we feel very safe majority of the time.
Even when living near the JCC, we didn’t experience any significant crime.
Now on the other side of town and you wouldn’t know we are living in a city with sky high crime rate
(Since majority of crime is drug/gang related in specific far away neighborhoods)

Totally agree.
We hear more Hatzalah sirens than any others. Yes, every siren sounds different.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating