Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Who remembers- Baltimore
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Nemesia

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:39 pm
amother Cherry wrote:
Who remembers Mrs. Zlotowitz from middle school? She taught geography and used to pass around different things she had collected on her travels for lots of the countries we learned about. She had a beautiful cursive handwriting

Ms. McCarty taught Spanish in high school. We each picked a Spanish name and that was our name for the year. She taught us lots of songs in Spanish…I remember one love song

Mrs. Kleiner taught Historia…1656! 2448!

Mrs. Shar’s giant candy jar- full of Hershey kisses and other candy that she would give out as prizes

We watched movies as rewards in the auditorium…we watched Charlie and the Chocolate factory in fifth grade.

Mrs. Riddlespurger for Spanish.
And Mrs. Painter for history, and Rabbi Steinberg for historia.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:40 pm
Was anyone in Mrs. Steinberg's fourth grade class? I was in 1996. She read us a story about a boy named aryeh who dreams of being a famous thief and accidentally almost kills his father in a heist...I'd love to know what that story was!!

Otherwise....who remembers Mrs. Oshry and her story about Rabbi Steinberg z"l walking in on her 9th grade biology class?
Or Mrs. Janney and all of her outfits? Her hatred for Phoebe from friends?
Any one remember the short period of time that the pikes were kosher?
Who remembers dancing the macarena in gym class?

amother
Nemesia

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:43 pm
amother Apricot wrote:
Was anyone in Mrs. Steinberg's fourth grade class? I was in 1996. She read us a story about a boy named aryeh who dreams of being a famous thief and accidentally almost kills his father in a heist...I'd love to know what that story was!!

Otherwise....who remembers Mrs. Oshry and her story about Rabbi Steinberg z"l walking in on her 9th grade biology class?
Or Mrs. Janney and all of her outfits? Her hatred for Phoebe from friends?
Any one remember the short period of time that the pikes were kosher?
Who remembers dancing the macarena in gym class?

No macarena but yes hustle.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:46 pm
Who had Mrs. Herb? What did she used to say? "Sit upon your sinapon"? Is that even a word, or am I remembering wrong?

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:47 pm
amother Mustard wrote:
Krispy kreme is still kosher

Remember olan mills???

There was a store that sold shiny tape and possibly other crafting materials, a lil girls dream. Can anyone provide more info???

Krispy Kreme is not kosher.
Olan mills was a national chain, everyone went to them.
Amazing savings had the rolls of shiny tape. I wish we still had amazing savings!

amother
Tomato

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:48 pm
I'm not from Baltimore.

In winter of 1989, my class was hosted by 7th grade girls families for a Shabbos in Baltimore. The girl where I stayed was RM.
I think girls from Silver Spring were also invited. That was the first time I ate Dunkin Donuts.

I was visiting Baltimore in the summer of 2004. One of the chesed organazations had a fundraiser. They sold chocolate "cicadas" with neon orange eyes.

amother
Birch

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 12:01 am
amother Latte wrote:
I had the same teachers in 3rd and 4th grade!
Remember Mrs Reidler would bake challah in the shape of lechem hapanim every year by that parsha and go around to every classroom in the school to show them?

I remember when uniforms were finally introduced in elementary school. The year before the options were on display in the showcase in the lobby so all the parents could see them and vote for them. Then the next year we didn’t have to wear them until after succos, don’t remember why

Mrs willner standing at the door every morning in high school checking out tznius buttons

Rabbi Zweig’s knas, and clapping his hands by mincha break- “mincha, mincha”

I don’t know who else had Mrs belsky in 3rd grade and she invited us to her beach house at the end of the year and we swam in the ocean/lake/whatever it was. Maybe Chesapeake Bay

Remember Mrs Rosen’s morning announcements every day and she went through everyone’s birthdays in her Israeli accent

And my absolute worst memories of all and the thing that makes me bless not living in Baltimore for the past many years is… THE CICADAS!!!

I had Mrs. Belsky and I remember visiting her beach house. I believe it was in Middle River, MD.

phoebe12

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 12:06 am
amother Honeydew wrote:
So does mine!
I had Mrs. Meszler before she was divorced. And the fantastic English teacher with an H- I'm so old I'm having trouble remembering (Herstein?). But I remember her telling us that her mother told her to marry a Jewish boy bcz. they make money and don't beat their wives.
And Rabbi Steinberg, AH, asking each of us, Ms. ___ did you drink your orange juice this morning?
And Rabbi Friedman AH, and Mrs. Tendler and Mrs. Wilner and Mrs. Steinhardt and her pitgamim.
And we had a typing class!

It’s Mrs. Herstein! I had her at BT after she had taught at BY. We are friends now on Facebook.

amother
Calendula

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 12:06 am
I love how the Baltimore memories turned into a BY Memories thread lol.

Here's some more! (I graduated more recently).

- The uniform options on display the year they were chosen.
- Going door to door selling chocolate ($1 for OU-D or $1.25 for CY)
- Pillow books & Fat Cats in 4th grade.
- I Pledge Allegiance/ Betsy Ross lived on Arch Street & 2nd/G-d bless America!/Oh say can you see...
- Painting a piece of the mural that went into the new BYHS.
- we would do assemblies and video into these chassidish boys schools saying Tehillim with their havara
- Exercise machines in middle school
- waiting on line after the final bell rang, for some delicious extra soup that Mrs. Guttman would make for the teachers each day. Sooo yum!
- Convention, exhibit, production
- there's a school we all love well, loud and long its praise will tell, when you hear us say BY, that's the school we'll praise and well go, riding on it's footsteps light, underneath it's colors bright, school of high heels slipping on banana peels, that's the school for you, not me!
- aphorisms: I had the blue because I had no shoes...
make a kiddush or the non jews will make havdalah.

Sooo much memories, I can go on and on!!

phoebe12

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 12:11 am
There was also a bakery where Mama Leah’s used to be, where Yogalada is. Maybe Adler’s? They sold peanut butter topped cookies. I miss those.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 12:28 am
phoebe12 wrote:
There was also a bakery where Mama Leah’s used to be, where Yogalada is. Maybe Adler’s? They sold peanut butter topped cookies. I miss those.

His slogan was “ never trust a skinny baker!”

Odelyah

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 12:39 am
phoebe12 wrote:
It’s Mrs. Herstein! I had her at BT after she had taught at BY. We are friends now on Facebook.

One of my brothers went to BT and he is friends with her on Facebook!!

Speaking of Beth Tfiloh, how many of you got married there? I did, and so did my parents!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 3:57 am
amother Whitesmoke wrote:
I think we are from the same era! Cooking in the kitchen, home ec with Mrs Gutman AH in the annex kitchen. Mrs Juravel was my 3rd grade teacher and her potato kugel...Mrs Riedler in 4th playing the Purim Story. Recorder recital, I think we had an Israel fair in 7th grade. Mrs Felder teaches social skills(?) And her I messaged and Mrs Lapidus teaching learning skills. Still things I use today.

I was also there around the same time you were. I remember almost all of the things you have mentioned.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 4:09 am
Anyone else graduate in ‘04? Many of your memories posted are the same as mine. So I know some of you must have graduated around then.

I don’t think anyone has mentioned Owings Mills Mall yet btw…

amother
Wallflower

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 4:26 am
amother Periwinkle wrote:
Anyone else graduate in ‘04? Many of your memories posted are the same as mine. So I know some of you must have graduated around then.

I don’t think anyone has mentioned Owings Mills Mall yet btw…

It was mentioned above. There was a Saks there.
I loved that mall.
I remember when the Metro was opened!
Our parents would drive us to the Reisterstown Rd station and we could go to Owings Mills mall by ourselves, before we turned 16. That was awesome.

amother
Nemesia

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 7:19 am
phoebe12 wrote:

Merchant of Venice.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 7:31 am
Mrs Horowitz mincha cakes

amother
Latte

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 8:50 am
amother Mustard wrote:
Mrs Horowitz mincha cakes

I never won and I davened every single day!

amother
Birch

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 8:52 am
Anyone from my tekufa will remember Senora Gourlay- "lift up thine eyes".
Actually, even better was: "if you don't have common sense, PRETEND." I still use that line!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 9:50 am
amother Cherry wrote:
Who remembers Mrs. Zlotowitz from middle school? She taught geography and used to pass around different things she had collected on her travels for lots of the countries we learned about. She had a beautiful cursive handwriting

Ms. McCarty taught Spanish in high school. We each picked a Spanish name and that was our name for the year. She taught us lots of songs in Spanish…I remember one love song

Mrs. Kleiner taught Historia…1656! 2448!

Mrs. Shar’s giant candy jar- full of Hershey kisses and other candy that she would give out as prizes

We watched movies as rewards in the auditorium…we watched Charlie and the Chocolate factory in fifth grade.

Yes to Mrs. Zlotowitz (I still remember her jade elephants) and Mrs. Shar (who was going to "penalize" us -- which we decided meant "hang us by our toenails"! Two great teachers.

I remember watching "The Wave" in middle school. What a powerful movie. I think they fast-forwarded some parts.

Remember CAP -- after school activities? They had cake decorating, basketball, gymnastics, all sorts of things.

Those windows in the middle school that only opened from the top.

Late notes were such a big deal then. Different colors every year.

How about some of the songs from high school? "Carry me inspired/ever higher, let me fly/Free to soar, to leave the world behind/No chains to bind/I'll become something one of a kind/Lift me high, show me how to fly...On the wings of a mitzvah, I fly, I strive(?)/ Ever higher, ever closer, every moment comes alive/See what I can be, soaring proud, fly with me/Torah, wings that set me free..."

Anyone remember any others?
Page 8 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating