Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Who remembers- Baltimore
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

Odelyah

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:07 am
amother Dahlia wrote:
When all of Bais Yaakov was on one campus. And Baltimore only had one girl's school. Elementary had one principal ---R Friedman (Mrs Rosen was hired as I was leaving elementary).
3rd grade poetry play, 4th grade colonial play, 8th grade carnival and 9th grade play
When high school started in 7th grade!!!
Morah Neuberger was the 2nd grade teacher and Mrs Mintz (and her games and baked treats) in 6th grade. Mrs Oshry and Mrs Fishkind were icons in the high school. Mrs Janey and her snow dances. All are long retired now!

Jacks
Shapiros
Chaps
Kinder Kademy
Sno cones outside Tovs
When Mama Leah's was right past Slade and then right by Mt Wilson Lane
Leibes Delicatessen
Rambam

I remember when kosher bite opened -- we so excited to have a "kosher mc donalds".
...and when 7 mile opened!!! Now that was news! An all kosher supermarket bigger than the 2 aisle of Jacks!

Was that the Mrs. Rosen who was guidance counselor in the high school?
There were 2 principals before, or rather dean and principal. Rabbi Diskind and Rabbi Friedman z"l. But maybe for a bit after Rabbi Diskind made aliyah it was only Rabbi Friedman, before they got someone else.
In my time I'm pretty sure it was 4th grade poetry play, and we also had a 4th grade play (musical, like in 9th grade) and we also had a 4th grade cookbook! Mrs. Shapiro was really something!!

Odelyah

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:12 am
Oh and the musicals we performed for 4th and 9th grade plays were not Jewish. Sound of Music, Wizard of Oz, Oliver, The King and I, Mary Poppins, Annie..

amother
Nemesia

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:21 am
amother Plum wrote:
Still do

Wow. Really?
Sixth graders used to daven with the younger grades because they had English in the morning.

amother
Nemesia

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:22 am
Odelyah wrote:
And the first pizza shop, called the Pizza Shoppe, behind Shapiro's. We had a PIZZA SHOP. It was like moshiach had come. And it tasted like gan eden.

But Fishel's pizza. Who needed anything more?

amother
Nemesia

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:24 am
Odelyah wrote:
There were 2 principals before, or rather dean and principal. Rabbi Diskind and Rabbi Friedman z"l. But maybe for a bit after Rabbi Diskind made aliyah it was only Rabbi Friedman, before they got someone else.
In my time I'm pretty sure it was 4th grade poetry play, and we also had a 4th grade play (musical, like in 9th grade) and we also had a 4th grade cookbook! Mrs. Shapiro was really something!!

Rabbi Diskind and Rabbi Steinberg, a"h.
The fourth grade cookbook! Yes! Mrs. Shapiro was amazing.

amother
Darkblue

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:25 am
Odelyah wrote:

Leora Rosen became assistant principal. And the cutest shidduch when her daughter Yael married rabbi Friedman’s son Pesach.

Who remembers Mrs Levy in 2nd grade? We were taller than her!

Odelyah

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:33 am
amother Nemesia wrote:
Rabbi Diskind and Rabbi Steinberg, a"h.
The fourth grade cookbook! Yes! Mrs. Shapiro was amazing.

Was Rabbi Steinberg in the elementary with Rabbi Diskind? Then he probably switched to be only in the HS when Rabbi Friedman came.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:37 am
amother Darkblue wrote:
Mayor schmoke!! Oh my I remember meeting him at ft mchenry

There was a song! I only remember bits of it...

[..] Street, Mayor Schmoke,
Inner Harbor, Fort McHenry...
Land of the free! Home of the Brave! THat's Baltimore...

Got lots of music, Jazz to Zinman (?)
And even in the movies, [..] and Tinman.
A happenin' city, it just gets better, it's Bal! Ti! More!

The words "Mayor Schmoke" used to be "steamed crabs" but they koshered that up. Surprising they allowed movies and jazz in there, now that I think of it Wink

Odelyah

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:38 am
amother Nemesia wrote:
But Fishel's pizza. Who needed anything more?

Trying to remember Fishel's pizza--it was definitely after the Pizza Shoppe. Was that before he took over the JCC cafeteria? Where did he sell pizza?

amother
Nemesia

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:40 am
Odelyah wrote:
Was Rabbi Steinberg in the elementary with Rabbi Diskind? Then he probably switched to be only in the HS when Rabbi Friedman came.

Probably. Rabbi Diskind and Rabbi Steinberg weren't in elementary, they ran the school together.

Rabbi Davis's wife was niftar recently.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:43 am
How about recorder recitals
🎶

Odelyah

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:45 am
amother Nemesia wrote:
Wow. Really?
Sixth graders used to daven with the younger grades because they had English in the morning.

Interesting, was that because Mrs. Levy taught both 2nd and 6th grade? I had her in 6th grade but don't remember it being in the morning..

Odelyah

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:48 am
amother Plum wrote:
How about recorder recitals
🎶

yes! the chalil!! that was with Dr. Grossman too right? Wow I'm so old that at the time it was super interesting and unusual to have a woman (especially a frum one) with the title Dr.

Odelyah

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:55 am
Mr. Harris

Odelyah

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 12:08 pm
no uniform
short sleeves (close-ish to the elbow but didn't have to cover) until HS (7th grade)
bobby socks (also in HS)
make up, nail polish, long hair, dyed hair, huge earrings, np! Smile

(not that everyone dressed like that, most didn't, but there were no rules prohibiting it and no one said anything)

oh also slits as long as they started below the knee.

Odelyah

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 12:16 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:
Probably. Rabbi Diskind and Rabbi Steinberg weren't in elementary, they ran the school together.

Rabbi Davis's wife was niftar recently.

I think Rabbi Davis was right before my time. I know Rabbi Friedman was new when I started.

amother
Lightgray

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 12:27 pm
Odelyah wrote:
I think Rabbi Davis was right before my time. I know Rabbi Friedman was new when I started.

You probably knew my mom a”h who graduated in the early 80’s. I graduated in the early 2000’s.

Rabbi Hexter’s aphorisms and meter stick. “Your mind and your heart are but foot apart but at times they seem mikes apart.” I remember many of these.

Odelyah

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 12:32 pm
amother Lightgray wrote:
You probably knew my mom a”h who graduated in the early 80’s. I graduated in the early 2000’s.

Rabbi Hexter’s aphorisms and meter stick. “Your mind and your heart are but foot apart but at times they seem mikes apart.” I remember many of these.

I graduated in the late 80's--did she have a younger sister?

amother
Dahlia

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 1:24 pm
Forgot about 6th grade recorder
and all the singing performances (I think we sang at the dinner in 5th grade) were run by Dr. Grossman.

And we wore real pants for concert before it was called production.

and Bais Yaakov Convention--those were a blast to host.

Stanley!!!!

Kumzits's in the hall in highschool during teachers' meetings. And dancing for kallah teachers in the parking lot.

The ROCK in the back of the school!!!! I was just telling my kids about that one last week. How so many of us could squish onto the big rock and how we begged teachers to teach us outside by the rock.

We had no uniforms in elementary, but it started in high school around my time. I think they made the first make up rule (only light color pink/beigen nail polish) when I was in upper highschool.

I also remember getting late notes and absent excuse notes from Mrs Wilner. Standing on line out side her office.

Giveret Steinhardt too. Does anyone remember her "Chadashot" over the PA system all in hebrew? 90% of us had no clue what she was saying.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 1:25 pm
At Bais Yaakov-Mr Stanley with his back brace and that really cool powder that clumped up vomit. I remember watching him use it several times. Did he have a glass eye?
The family with girl and boy who lived behind elementary. Why did they live there?

Power outages and fire alarms

Elem kids getting to tour the highschool for Exhibit, all in one building, HS was on the opposite side of the lobby.

Baila the buzzard

Mrs Miller the receptionist and Mrs Tendler the nurse. Both fun to talk to!
Page 3 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating