Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Who remembers- Baltimore
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 2:07 pm
amother Dahlia wrote:
I remember Sternhills (Machzikei) before they extended. We had bnos groups in nice weather on the porch.

Rabbi Taubs shua in the small building with his house

Odelyah

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 2:08 pm
amother Wallflower wrote:
I remember all of these. This is how old I am Smile

I remember when Tov Pizza opened.
Morah Chaya Rina was my kindergarten teacher and she got married that year.
When Mrs. Oshry was Mrs. Meszler - I had her the year before she got remarried and the year after.
Rabbi Diskind and Rabbi Steinberg were both my principals.
Singing the Eurovision songs at the Banquet in the blue gowns.

Ha Eurovision songs Smile Haleluka! and the classic Naomi Shemer songs! I remember Dr. Grossman teaching us Al Kol Eleh, writing out the stanzas on the board. Someone taught us the meaning too-was it she? or maybe our morah? I remember thinking it was so beautiful and I still tear up if I hear it.
But I'm older than you Wink I had Morah Eisemann in kindergarten. I loved her. And a second married morah whose name I don't remember but she wasn't a newlywed. But I had Miss Rochel Tendler in 7th? grade and she got engaged and married during the year. And Mrs. Meszler was Mrs. Meszler the whole time and she was awesome. I was really surprised and sad for her when I heard she got divorced, she always used to talk about her scientist husband and his electron microscope and seemed to admire him. Was glad to hear later that she remarried and was doing fine!

Odelyah

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 2:12 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:

Remember Mrs. Schlossberg?

Not sure I remember her at school--was she a nurse? I remember the daughter and family.

amother
Wallflower

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 2:29 pm
Odelyah wrote:
Ha Eurovision songs Smile Haleluka! and the classic Naomi Shemer songs! I remember Dr. Grossman teaching us Al Kol Eleh, writing out the stanzas on the board. Someone taught us the meaning too-was it she? or maybe our morah? I remember thinking it was so beautiful and I still tear up if I hear it.
But I'm older than you Wink I had Morah Eisemann in kindergarten. I loved her. And a second married morah whose name I don't remember but she wasn't a newlywed. But I had Miss Rochel Tendler in 7th? grade and she got engaged and married during the year. And Mrs. Meszler was Mrs. Meszler the whole time and she was awesome. I was really surprised and sad for her when I heard she got divorced, she always used to talk about her scientist husband and his electron microscope and seemed to admire him. Was glad to hear later that she remarried and was doing fine!

Oh you are OG Baltimore! I thought I was the oldest Balti-moron on here LOL
I went to Rochel Tendler for Shabbos when I was in seminary.

amother
Dahlia

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 2:31 pm
My mother still talks about going to BY in the mansion near cilburn.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 2:39 pm
amother Lightgray wrote:
You probably knew my mom a”h who graduated in the early 80’s. I graduated in the early 2000’s.

Rabbi Hexter’s aphorisms and meter stick. “Your mind and your heart are but foot apart but at times they seem mikes apart.” I remember many of these.

Ooh, "I had the blues because I had no shoes, until I met upon the street a man who had no feet."

Does anyone remember more of these? I loved these.

Mrs. Vim did all sorts of plays with us in sixth grade. I still remember some of the lines. And her hafsaka words, I'll never forget those.

Mrs. Janney and her snow dance and her long flowy dresses.

Mrs. Frand's key ideas! Better than a cockroach!

Mrs. Lefkowitz a'h. 1066! I still think of her when we pass Christiana, Delaware on the turnpike.

The hill behind the middle school -- sledding on garbage bags. And sliding down that looong railing on the staircase to downstairs. I think several people broke bones on that...

The art "annex"! We each had our own studios. Never learned any real art, though, just spent all day "quilting"...

Mrs. Erdos and Mrs. Belsky in the elementary school were my favorite teachers then. I still remember some things I learned from then...

So many great memories!

amother
Anemone

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 4:06 pm
https://www.amazon.com/Magnifi.....16775

Rabbi Hexter's aphorisms...immortalized in a book!

amother
Birch

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 4:08 pm
Imamother dahlia, when did you graduate? I am late 90s and your memories are identical to mine.

As far as Schlossberg, are you talking about the ivrit teacher in lower high school or the Schlossberg who was a very talented musician?

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 4:16 pm
amother Aquamarine wrote:
Ooh, "I had the blues because I had no shoes, until I met upon the street a man who had no feet."

Does anyone remember more of these? I loved these.

Mrs. Vim did all sorts of plays with us in sixth grade. I still remember some of the lines. And her hafsaka words, I'll never forget those.

Mrs. Janney and her snow dance and her long flowy dresses.

Mrs. Frand's key ideas! Better than a cockroach!

Mrs. Lefkowitz a'h. 1066! I still think of her when we pass Christiana, Delaware on the turnpike.

The hill behind the middle school -- sledding on garbage bags. And sliding down that looong railing on the staircase to downstairs. I think several people broke bones on that...

The art "annex"! We each had our own studios. Never learned any real art, though, just spent all day "quilting"...

Mrs. Erdos and Mrs. Belsky in the elementary school were my favorite teachers then. I still remember some things I learned from then...

So many great memories!

I think we are from the same era! Cooking in the kitchen, home ec with Mrs Gutman AH in the annex kitchen. Mrs Juravel was my 3rd grade teacher and her potato kugel...Mrs Riedler in 4th playing the Purim Story. Recorder recital, I think we had an Israel fair in 7th grade. Mrs Felder teaches social skills(?) And her I messaged and Mrs Lapidus teaching learning skills. Still things I use today.

amother
Dahlia

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 4:29 pm
Quote:
Imamother dahlia, when did you graduate? I am late 90s and your memories are identical to mine.

upper mid 90s.

Odelyah

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 4:54 pm
amother Wallflower wrote:
Oh you are OG Baltimore! I thought I was the oldest Balti-moron on here LOL
I went to Rochel Tendler for Shabbos when I was in seminary.

Ha yeah definitely OG Wink
Yeah I saw her on Neve campus when I was in seminary--she was an eim bayit for Bnos Chava when it first opened.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 5:08 pm
amother Anemone wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Magnificent-Messages-Rabbi-Naftoli-Hexter/dp/1600916775

Rabbi Hexter's aphorisms...immortalized in a book!

Wow, thank you!! On my wish list Smile

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 5:10 pm
amother Whitesmoke wrote:
I think we are from the same era! Cooking in the kitchen, home ec with Mrs Gutman AH in the annex kitchen. Mrs Juravel was my 3rd grade teacher and her potato kugel...Mrs Riedler in 4th playing the Purim Story. Recorder recital, I think we had an Israel fair in 7th grade. Mrs Felder teaches social skills(?) And her I messaged and Mrs Lapidus teaching learning skills. Still things I use today.

Graduated in early 2000s. So interesting because I don't remember the social skills or learning skills at all. I remember them coming in and teaching them but I thought they were "pointless." Gotta love teenage girls!

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 5:20 pm
amother Dahlia wrote:
My mother still talks about going to BY in the mansion near cilburn.

So does mine!
I had Mrs. Meszler before she was divorced. And the fantastic English teacher with an H- I'm so old I'm having trouble remembering (Herstein?). But I remember her telling us that her mother told her to marry a Jewish boy bcz. they make money and don't beat their wives.
And Rabbi Steinberg, AH, asking each of us, Ms. ___ did you drink your orange juice this morning?
And Rabbi Friedman AH, and Mrs. Tendler and Mrs. Wilner and Mrs. Steinhardt and her pitgamim.
And we had a typing class!

amother
Nemesia

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 5:22 pm
Odelyah wrote:

And I had Mrs. Hess for kindergarten. And her daughter for third grade. Then we bought some cars from this daughter.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 5:26 pm
Odelyah wrote:
Oh and the musicals we performed for 4th and 9th grade plays were not Jewish. Sound of Music, Wizard of Oz, Oliver, The King and I, Mary Poppins, Annie..

My Fair Lady

Odelyah

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 6:06 pm
amother Plum wrote:
What was the Eurovision song?
The rock is still there.

"Hallelukah" was definitely a Eurovision winner, and maybe "Noladti LaShalom"? the Naomi Shemer songs I don't think were in Eurovision. They probably predated it, and Eurovision songs I think are generally more of a pop music bouncy genre anyway.

OK I just looked it up--"Noladti LaShalom" won 4th place. And I think now I remember singing the song "Chai" which was another 1st place winner apparently, sung by Ofrah Haza Smile

Yay I'm happy the rock is still there! I mean, where would it go? Dont know

amother
Cornsilk

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 6:08 pm
amother Dahlia wrote:
Mrs Janey and her snow dances.

Yes!
Just last shabbos I was telling my kids about this
And realized that the reason there hadn’t been much snow the past few years must be because she retired!

Odelyah

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 6:10 pm
amother Honeydew wrote:
My Fair Lady

Yes! I was pretty sure I remembered My Fair Lady too, but wasn't 100% sure so I left it off the list Smile
Oh and Peter Pan maybe?

my5kids

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 6:14 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:
Rabbi Diskind and Rabbi Steinberg, a"h.
The fourth grade cookbook! Yes! Mrs. Shapiro was amazing.

We still have those cookbooks! Cannot bring myself to get rid of the tattered pieces that are left!
Taking the city bus to school from Park Heights Avenue!
Baltimore was a small town!
Page 5 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating