Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Vision problems-any way to improve it?

cbs880

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 9:11 am
2 years ago I took my dc for a vision checkup. The optometrist said dc has slight vision problems but since it was so little (0.25) (0.50) and dc didnt want glasses, he said we should just retest if dc starts complaining. A little while ago DC was complaining about not seeing the board in school. I took dc to the optometrist, this time they did some testing and it turns out that one eye has near perfect vision and the other has 3.00! the explanation I was give to this discrepancy is that the 3.00 eye is because the brain is using the good eye to see, and this eye got lazy and the eye muscles are now weaker.

I have a consultation with an optometrist for the following, however if anyone has any personal experience with this, I would love to hear it:
1) is there any way to reverse the vision loss by doing some muscle exercises?
2) would a patch over the good eye be helpful in forcing the brain to look out of the weaker eye? (dc is over bar/bas mitzvah. is that passed the age of a patch being helpful?
3) Has anyone had success with improved vision using pinhole glasses? (see pic)
https://m.media-amazon.com/ima....._.jpg
4) I am not against getting DC the glasses. I just want to reverse or at least prevent additional loss of vision to the weaker eye

Thanks!

oneofakind

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 9:19 am
Certain eye drops in the good eye work the same as a patch. What does doctor suggest?

cbs880

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 9:24 am
oneofakind wrote:
Certain eye drops in the good eye work the same as a patch. What does doctor suggest?

the doctor we went to gave a prescription for glasses. The only question I thought to ask at the time was about a patch, and she said its only useful for kids up till age 8. As I mentioned, my child is passed bar/bas mitzvah...
The other doctor I want to speak to and get a second opinion from, I dont have an appointment with until another 2 weeks...

amother
Bone

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 9:25 am
See a developmental optometrist with fcovd certification. They can prescribe glasses that won’t only act as a bandaid, they will force the weaker eye to work harder. If they recommend vision therapy that can be very helpful, those are essentially eye exercises. I’ve also heard of feldenkrais type therapy working to improve vision. Vit a in the form of retinol (can only be found from animal sources, cod liver oil is great) can help with vision as well. Lowering nervous system inflammation is another route to pursue, very often these issues are caused by optic nerve inflammation.

amother
Chicory

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 2:08 pm
oneofakind wrote:
Which eyedrops ?

oneofakind

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 2:59 pm
Doctor will prescribe the eye drops

amother
Pear

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 4:24 pm
It sounds like you already have an appointment for a second opinion, that’s great. I’d work to find a “top top” eye doctor for this case. You can start another thread asking for recommendations

Eta rereading now it looks like both are optometrists, you should try to find a pediatric ophthalmologist

amother
Hydrangea

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 4:39 pm
Dd has been seeing dr press for a few years now. Bh BH her weaker eye has gotten so much stronger.

Another dd has strabismus as well as astigmatism but the issues started when she was born. She worked with a few different ophthalmologists and BH her eyes are also stronger.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 6:38 pm
My friend had similar but a much much greater discrepancy and it was caught very late. Bh her child did regain vision in the weaker eye. The brain is very adaptable and can learn!
If you post your location people may be able to recommend practitioners

smarty skirt

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 9:34 pm
It is the experience of many parents that the opthamologists and optomotrists are not experienced in eye muscle related issues that affect things like: eye tracking , inconvergence, etc....there are children who have attention or behavior issues due to undiscovered eye problems. To them it is normal so they don't complain but as a parent u may notice the following: fumbling, bumping, headaches, attention deficit, problems with long multiplication and division, skipping of lines, phonics delays, incoordination with ping pong, ball catching to name a few. It is imperative to take care of vision before getting misdiagnosed with ADHD, ODD, etc.... and for these children to have seits and setts workers to help them in class. Problem is is that some centers are not good enough. There are those that have learned the hard way: Best in NY is suny college vision therapy in Manhattan or ODA w Dr. Warchovsky in Brooklyn. Also any child that says they do not like to read should also go get tested!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dr. Warchovsky at the vision center at ODA is the director and he taught for 34 years at Suny college. Ezra medical center could work for a year but they do not have the diagnostic skills that Dr. Warchovsky has etc. If you want the best I recommend ODA vision center with him. Autistic children can really benefit from the improved connects to the world through better vision. Don't delay please, anyone, insurance is covered there also, if you are on medicaid, you can set up transportation even if u never did if you need.....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics