Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Att: PT's, OT's -Is This a Concern?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 21 2023, 3:14 pm
My 4 Month old is a big chunky baby. I was told at her checkup that she's very strong. She flipped from her belly to back at a couple of weeks old, holds her head nicely, does well on tummy time, and kicks a ton in the bath. She grabs toys, plays with her hands makes eye contact and babbles a lot, etc..., However, does not want to stand or bear any weight to the legs while being held. She just either pulls up her feet, or just lets them hang loosely.

I made an appointment to the doctor for a checkup, however it's in 4 weeks, and I'm wondering if I need to be worried at all. As far as I'm concerned, babies bear weight to the legs from when they're really small. Is this a common thing? Do some babies just get the hang of it later on, or will we be needing physical therapy?

amother
Clematis

Post Mon, Aug 21 2023, 3:29 pm
It sounds more like an unintegrated reflex. I would try to see someone who does reflex integration. You can probably even do it yourself if you look up exercises online. Or see a craniosacral therapist who is experienced with babies.

amother
RosePink

Post Mon, Aug 21 2023, 3:34 pm
She's 4 months old. I don't think it's expected to bear weight on her legs at this age. It sounds like she's hitting all her milestones. Is this your first baby OP?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 21 2023, 3:37 pm
No, it's not my first baby.

But don't babies usually stand on your lap when you hold them once they're out of the swaddles? I can't remember what my other kids did. Perhaps because she's the size of a 9 month old, I'm expecting more of her. That's possible.

amother
Honey

Post Mon, Aug 21 2023, 4:09 pm
My baby was 12m and didn't bear weight on her feet it took me till then to get her evaluated, she is now 18m and just started walking after 6 months of PT. By 6m and she still cant bear weight I would get her evaluated for EI and if you live in NYC its free.

mushkamothers

Post Mon, Aug 21 2023, 4:33 pm
Very strong is usually tight fascia which causes lip or tongue ties. Craniosacral and tie release for that

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 22 2023, 11:16 am
mushkamothers wrote:
Very strong is usually tight fascia which causes lip or tongue ties. Craniosacral and tie release for that

Interesting that you're saying this, because she had severe tongue and lip ties which we released as a newborn. I made an appointment for Craniosacral therapy, we'll see how it will work out.

amother
Oleander

Post Tue, Aug 22 2023, 7:53 pm
Im an OT and it NOT a concern. When they first bear weight it's a reflex. Then the reflex becomes integrated so babies don't do it anymore and they start again as a strength thing.
as a side note my baby started to bear weight at 12 months and started walking independently at 18 months without PT.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Aug 22 2023, 8:01 pm
My child crawled and walked really late BECAUSE she did NOT bear weight on her legs. She army crawled bec she did not have strength in her legs and therefore needed intervention to teach her how to crawl and walk. I would have her evaluated it definitely can't hurt

mushkamothers

Post Tue, Aug 22 2023, 8:17 pm
amother OP wrote:
Interesting that you're saying this, because she had severe tongue and lip ties which we released as a newborn. I made an appointment for Craniosacral therapy, we'll see how it will work out.

So just releasing ties is only one part. Then you have to teach the body to redirect itself which cst does
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics