Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Laundry and small apartment

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 2:41 pm
Those with living in a small apartment, how do you manage the clean laundry? I have 2 bedrooms with a few little ones. There is always clean laundry hanging or an overflowing clean basket (or 2). I don't have a laundry room, designated hanging space or even a spare bed. Any ideas?

scruffy

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 2:44 pm
I use this on the back of my bedroom door, it get in a few pieces of drying clothes. https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....;th=1

Other than that, no great ideas. Will be following for tips as well

Goody2shoes

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 2:52 pm
Thankfully my tiny apartment comes with a laundry closet so I usually store the basket of clean stuff on the washing machine and shut the door.
Hanging is more complicated, I use my shower rod and I have a rack for cloths that I keep in my dining room which I try to take don as soon as possible to make it look neater
I also try to fold and put away as soon as possible to avoid the clutter and I use my bed to fold, that way I must put away if I want to go to sleep.

Last edited by Goody2shoes on Wed, Aug 23 2023, 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 2:56 pm
Following for more ideas but I'll tell you what I do so far. IKEA has some great solutions for small apts.

I use these bins for dirty laundry - they stack and if you're really organized you can label them so that there is a whites hamper, darks hamper, delicates etc.
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/s.....5897/

Even if you don't sort them it still holds all the laundry in one place and takes up less room than multiples hampers.

I managed to find a spot in my bathroom for this rack which is great for drying white shirts:
https://www.ikea.com/my/en/p/m.....9436/

I also have a similar hanging rack to this, which holds more clothing in a smaller space -
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08V.....;th=1

When I do laundry, I almost always fold the current dry load right after I put a new load into the machine, so there is no back up of laundry waiting to be folded and put away.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 3:29 pm
I make sure we have enough clothes for a week so not constantly doing laundry. I have a big hamper in my room and a collapsible one in my kids room. We have two bedrooms and 4 kids.

My cleaning lady does my laundry thur and leaves it folded on a bed so it has to be put away before bed. Before shabbos, all the hanging stuff has to be put away.

I have two folding hanging racks. Things that go on hangers go in closets with space around so they can dry or hang on a hook, laddered, behind my door.

scintilla

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 3:37 pm
Mine is always all over the place but here are a few things I do to make it a little better:
- folding laundry baskets, so when not in use I fold it up and stick it under my bed (I also use my bed for folding so it's right there)
- one hamper in the bathroom for kid's stuff bc they usually get dressed there, another in my room bc I dress the babies there. The one in my room is a divided one so I never have to sort laundry (the bathroom one is usually colors bc that's what my kids wear)
- my washing machine is in the bathroom so towels go straight from the hooks they hang on to the machine

amother
NeonPurple

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 4:36 pm
2 kids 2 adults
I wash motzei/Sunday only. Fold thought the day Sunday and put away hanging thru Monday. I aim for before work but occasionally I finish in the evening.
I do not iron. Maybe a wool tzitzes
Occasionally I do a mixed load on Wednesday of more pants, bras or anything we got low on.
When I have a newborn, I do wash more often as there tends to be more wet and smelly stuff.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 6:06 pm
I was you 30 years ago. I had multiple drying racks and there was always laundry drying in every room. Later we moved to an apartment with a different layout and I was able to put up closet bars (tension pole curtain rods, actually) about a foot below the ceiling in various hallway niches so I could hang things on clothes hangers from those bars. I needed to go up and down a ladder all the time because I'm a midget, but it did keep the laundry from being all over in every room.

I also had chinning bars in the doorways of a couple of rooms so I could hang some stuff there for a little while. AND I used the drying racks for smaller things.

amother
Winterberry

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 10:12 pm

amother
Hydrangea

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 10:15 pm
I live tiny. 550 square feet. we hang to dry some
things on shower rod. but dry laundry gets put away right out the dryer, or the hung stuff the next day. we do laundry once a week (saturday night) fwiw. in a small space everything has a place and has to get put away immediately

amother
Rainbow

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 10:16 pm
I hang up wet clothing in the closet and keep the door open

zaq

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 10:51 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:
I hang up wet clothing in the closet and keep the door open
and this works?

amother
Rainbow

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 10:53 pm
zaq wrote:
and this works?

Yes, sometimes I need to swap it round so the other sides properly dries
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry