Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Tummy time

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 7:53 pm
Is it just as important if baby sleeps on his stomach?

amother
Blueberry

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 7:57 pm
Tummy time only ‘counts’ if the baby is awake.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 7:59 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is it just as important if baby sleeps on his stomach?

I’m not an expert by any means, but I think the focus is head posture. They’re not really doing much when they sleep, ya know?

https://safesleepacademy.org/tummy-time/

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 8:00 pm
amother Blueberry wrote:
Tummy time only ‘counts’ if the baby is awake.

Thanks. I thought they only instituted tummy time when they said backs to sleep?

amother
Daylily

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 8:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks. I thought they only instituted tummy time when they said backs to sleep?

You’re right. No reputable source will say it because the party line is all back to sleep all the time. Babies who sleep on their stomachs naturally turn their heads back and forth and raise them up and down while falling asleep and when they wake up. Sometimes in their sleep.

That being said, you don’t want to risk your baby’s future to an anonymous amother so you might as well do some awake tummy time anyway. But don’t worry, babies who sleep on their stomachs don’t resist tummy time, it shouldn’t be a battle.

amother
Blueberry

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 8:18 pm
amother OP wrote:

Right. So if your baby is awake in the crib, on his stomach, your fine.

mushkamothers

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 8:32 pm
Its still important but also, sleeping on stomach does count as tummy time. (So does babywearing)

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 5:13 am
Do as much as you can! My second baby only sleeps on his stomach. I did tummy time every wake window from birth. He started crawling at 5 months, and is almost walking at 8.5 months. The more exercise the better, it really makes a difference!

amother
Lightpink

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 7:25 am
My 6 week old is asleep a lot during the day. There's almost no time for tummy time Sad

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 8:59 am
My kids who slept on their stomach did their own tummy time when they woke up and I didn't pick them up right away. However, once they're older than a couple of months, they should also be doing tummy time during their play time. Important visual skills develop from looking at and reaching for toys and other objects both close by and at a distance, in all positions- stomach, back, and both sides. TBH most of tummy time with my very young infants happens when I'm lying down and holding them tummy to tummy on me. Only once they're older and able to engage with toys do I make a point of putting them into tummy time on a mat on the floor.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 10:20 am
Yes it counts as tummy time but I'd also do the awake two minute tummy time with a newborn. It's excellent time to connect, get some eye contact and watch the miracle of your baby's development.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics