Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How much tummy time

ftm1234

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 11:09 am
My baby is 3 months old. She sleeps on her stomach most of the time, but I also want to do tummy time when she’s awake. How often and for how long should I do it?

amother
Sand

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 11:11 am
I kept my son on his tummy as long as he was happy, probably around 5-10 minutes at a time.

amother
Offwhite

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 11:15 am
I wouldn't worry too much about tummy time for a baby that sleeps on his tummy. It's for babies who are on their back all the time. I would do it as long as he's happy.

ftm1234

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 11:15 am
amother Sand wrote:
I kept my son on his tummy as long as he was happy, probably around 5-10 minutes at a time.

Thanks!

cupcake123

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 11:20 am
Till they get sad. Might be 2 min for a week and then 3 min... and then before you know it they're happy just to be on their tummy.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 11:46 am
My baby's almost 2 months, and the biggest lesson I learned is to do it when she's in a good mood, such as after a feeding. We usually keep her on until she gets fussy, about 2 minutes at this point.

Going to try to do it after each feeding because I don't think it's enough.

michimochi

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 11:59 am
My baby hates tummy time and we almost never do it. Brought up concern to Dr - said the important thing at thus age is just ti be able to lift the head and body while on stomach. Uf baby sleeps on tummy, as ling as she has those lifting skills there is technically no need for more tummy time.

gr82no

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 12:07 pm
amother Denim wrote:
My baby's almost 2 months, and the biggest lesson I learned is to do it when she's in a good mood, such as after a feeding. We usually keep her on until she gets fussy, about 2 minutes at this point.

Going to try to do it after each feeding because I don't think it's enough.

Your baby doesnt spit up if you put her on her stomach right after a feeding?

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 12:09 pm
gr82no wrote:
Your baby doesnt spit up if you put her on her stomach right after a feeding?

It's not usually immediately after, but in between the time when she's done to when she gets sleepy.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 12:25 pm
Your baby should always be on their tummy unless they are eating or sleeping

YounginBP

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 12:48 pm
If your having a hard time you can lay on your bed and put your baby on top of you. It's always fun to see Mommy's face!

amother
Catmint

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 12:59 pm
amother Babyblue wrote:

This, and I will add- obviously don't leave her there if she's crying. But the goal is to be on her stomach as long as she's tolerating it.

amother
Clear

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 1:28 pm
amother Babyblue wrote:

Absolutely not. Just like babies. Need tummy time. They need back time too. The more positions they're in, the more muscles they build.

mushkamothers

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 1:35 pm
amother Clear wrote:
Absolutely not. Just like babies. Need tummy time. They need back time too. The more positions they're in, the more muscles they build.

Belly down, toes out is optimal position for brain development and will help baby meet milestones sooner

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 1:42 pm
My babies are constantly in Tummy time. Five minutes in the official tummy time rolling in and rolling out on both sides. But otherwise they nurse on their stomach, baby carrier, lounging across my lap on their stomachs.

amother
Poppy

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 1:45 pm
amother Offwhite wrote:
I wouldn't worry too much about tummy time for a baby that sleeps on his tummy. It's for babies who are on their back all the time. I would do it as long as he's happy.

I don't know if this is so accurate. The reason many do tummy time is to develop the muscles in their back and neck. If they are sleeping, their head is resting on the floor the entire time. I wouldn't call that tummy time.

I would di it a few times a day and just for as long as baby is happy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics