Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Do you really think sourdough challah tastes good?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 9:46 am
The last 2 years everyone’s all into sourdough. People claim certain sourdough challahs are really good and they like it over regular challah.
I definitely understand that it’s a lot healthier. There’s no oil, yeast, eggs or sugar… of course it’s much healthier. I also believe that you can feel better if you eat sourdough over regular challah since it’s easier to digest.
But do you really like it so much?
I have eaten sourdough baked by different people. Nothing special.
I would take a slice of my rich, sweet challah anytime over a slice of sourdough (for the taste).
Why are people claiming that sourdough tastes exceptionally good? I don’t understand.

amother
Marigold

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 9:50 am
Different people different tastes. I don’t like all sourdough but I love my homemade one much more than my homemade regular challah and that’s delicious too. Very different from each other.

amother
Calendula

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 9:51 am
I also don't understand! It tastes sour to me! I want to like it, but so far the ones I've tried haven't been good except for when it's toasted and has a spread like butter avacodo cheese etc

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 9:52 am
I love sourdough during the week, but not for challah. I don't like how it goes with shabbos dips.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 9:57 am
amother Marigold wrote:
Different people different tastes. I don’t like all sourdough but I love my homemade one much more than my homemade regular challah and that’s delicious too. Very different from each other.

I just don’t get how you like it better?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 10:00 am
amother Calendula wrote:
I also don't understand! It tastes sour to me! I want to like it, but so far the ones I've tried haven't been good except for when it's toasted and has a spread like butter avacodo cheese etc

Doesn’t taste sour to me- just bland

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 10:01 am
amother Tiffanyblue wrote:
I love sourdough during the week, but not for challah. I don't like how it goes with shabbos dips.

That makes sense. It’s more like weekday bread.

amother
Mintcream

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 10:04 am
I only like 2 specific sourdough bread. All other one's I tried, are not good. I'm almost sure that commercial bakeries do use some yeast.
Since I started eating only sourdough, I feel much better and more energized.

married1234

I happen to really like it. I don’t usually go for sweet foods in general, and I actually really enjoy sourdough so I can have the benefits without feeling like I’m depriving myself. I also love the crunch when it’s crispy

amother
Gardenia

Ppl are different- I never liked challah and really enjoy sourdough

amother
Junglegreen

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 10:05 am
I love sourdough. I try to stay away from gluten and that’s one of my only (very rare) cheats. I don’t crave regular challah at all.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 10:07 am
I bake and eat it for health reasons but most people I know do not, so they must really like it.
It's rustic and harder to chew, so I can understand not everyone going for it.
And because I never make regular challah anymore, when I eat by other people I end of enjoying their challah that's sweet and soft and feeling like I miss it.
But I still really really like my sourdough.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 10:10 am
I love crusty breads- it’s a comfort food. Artisan bread, French baguettes, sourdough,- my favorite breakfasts! I loved them way before it became a trend. Paired with a hearty soup- c’est magnifique!

amother
Magnolia

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 10:10 am
Most bakeries that sell sour dough aren't making it correctly. I feel like they put some lemon juice in to dough and shape it round and they just call it sour dough.

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 10:13 am
I make braided sourdough challah so it's more similar to challah than bread. It's heaven. If you're in Lakewood, I can send you some😊

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 10:15 am
amother Bisque wrote:
I make braided sourdough challah so it's more similar to challah than bread. It's heaven. If you're in Lakewood, I can send you some😊
Do you make a brioche kind of dough using sourdough starter or is it just simple sourdough that you braid?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 10:25 am
Could be I just don’t like crusty bread so much.
Like I said before- I do understand that it’s healthier- not arguing with that.
But how amazing could flour water and salt be??

amother
Clear

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 10:27 am
amother Orchid wrote:
I love crusty breads- it’s a comfort food. Artisan bread, French baguettes, sourdough,- my favorite breakfasts! I loved them way before it became a trend. Paired with a hearty soup- c’est magnifique!

I agree. Nothing like a crusty piece of sourdough bread with a hearty soup like lentil, minestrone or chunky vegetable with flanken. On Shabbos I much prefer my regular challa. It’s not sweet because I don’t use much sugar, but the taste and texture are more Shabbos and go better with what I’m serving.

greengrapes

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 10:29 am
I love sourdough, love regular challah too but there's something delicious about a really good sourdough

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 10:32 am
I love both. I think a lot of people jjst lile something different, and I get that! I haven't got into making sourdough, but am always delighted when it shows up on someone elses Shabbos table❤️ I buy it sometimes for regular use during the week - I also keep a good seeded protein rich bread and pumpernickle for variety😊
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking