Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Do you really think sourdough challah tastes good?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 10:32 am
amother OP wrote:
Could be I just don’t like crusty bread so much.
Like I said before- I do understand that it’s healthier- not arguing with that.
But how amazing could flour water and salt be??
That's why traditionally these country loaves that are trending were reserved for weekday, they are heartier and coarser and last longer, and even when sourdough was the only method of leavening, shabbos challah evolved to more of a brioche or enriched dough with eggs, oil and sweetener added. It was considered more refined and upscale and elegant, not to mention expensive. But rustic is in style today, so people can still go for it.

amother
DarkGray

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 10:34 am
How many times have you eaten it? I didn't like it at first but now I really do. It might be an acquired taste and it definitely varies by baker.

Amarante

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 10:35 am
I don't think sour dough bread is particularly healthy.

I do think whole wheat bread is a lot healthier than any bread made from white flour and sour dough bread is generally made from white flour.

Traditional challah has a very distinctive texture and flavor - it's delicious - and so is sour dough and so it whole wheat.

So yes I think sour dough bread is delicious but I also think that traditional challah is delicious and the taste is more of a treat - I could actually enjoy eating it plain like a simple cake because it has a subtle sweet taste and wonderful texture.

I think it really depends on what you are eating as a pastrami sandwich on challah would be weird - at least to me.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 10:40 am
amother DarkGray wrote:
How many times have you eaten it? I didn't like it at first but now I really do. It might be an acquired taste and it definitely varies by baker.

I didn’t have to acquire a taste for my regular challah! I loved it after the first bite!

Elilove

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 10:41 am
Don’t particularly love the taste, but the crust is super crisp and I feel better when I eat it over regular challah. I still like regular challah better though. I eat both.
And not all sourdough tastes sour some more than others. I can’t eat the ones that are sour.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 10:43 am
Amarante wrote:
I don't think sour dough bread is particularly healthy.

I do think whole wheat bread is a lot healthier than any bread made from white flour and sour dough bread is generally made from white flour.

Traditional challah has a very distinctive texture and flavor - it's delicious - and so is sour dough and so it whole wheat.

So yes I think sour dough bread is delicious but I also think that traditional challah is delicious and the taste is more of a treat - I could actually enjoy eating it plain like a simple cake because it has a subtle sweet taste and wonderful texture.

I think it really depends on what you are eating as a pastrami sandwich on challah would be weird - at least to me.

I think people make whole wheat sourdough - even spelt

Amarante

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 10:46 am
amother OP wrote:
I think people make whole wheat sourdough - even spelt

But it isn't the sour dough that makes it "healthy" - it is because the grains are whole grains and not processed.

I happen to like whole grain bread a lot but I also like white flour challah a lot.

For every day I use whole wheat bread for sandwiches unless it is pastrami and then it is rye bread LOL

It isn't that whole wheat isn't delicious - I do find it delicious but just that I pair different breads with different foods.

I like the combination of gefilte fish and white challah for example.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 10:52 am
Amarante wrote:
But it isn't the sour dough that makes it "healthy" - it is because the grains are whole grains and not processed.

I happen to like whole grain bread a lot but I also like white flour challah a lot.

For every day I use whole wheat bread for sandwiches unless it is pastrami and then it is rye bread LOL

It isn't that whole wheat isn't delicious - I do find it delicious but just that I pair different breads with different foods.

I like the combination of gefilte fish and white challah for example.
The fermenting process makes grains easier on the gut and body. It breaks down a lot of the phytic acid which is essentially an anti-nutrient that grains are high in. It makes grains lower glycemic. It breaks down gluten which is an extremely hard to digest and inflammatory protein for a lot of people. It's full of gut friendly microbes though how many of those survive the baking process is questionable. Among other health benefits.

tichellady

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 11:14 am
I like both!

amother
Aster

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 11:15 am
Nah my family won't touch it. When people gift it to us I give it away.

amother
DarkGray

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 11:19 am
amother OP wrote:
I didn’t have to acquire a taste for my regular challah! I loved it after the first bite!

Neither does a chocolate chip cookie need acquired taste. Would you have that for lunch?

How it that a marker of things that are delicious?
I can assure you that wine is bitter, sushi is fishy, and steak is umami ish.
I can assure you that a 5yr old will pick a cookie over all of the above.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 11:30 am
amother OP wrote:
I just don’t get how you like it better?

There are actually people who don't like sweet things. Most challah is quite sweet, relatively speaking.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 11:31 am
amother DarkGray wrote:
Neither does a chocolate chip cookie need acquired taste. Would you have that for lunch?

How it that a marker of things that are delicious?
I can assure you that wine is bitter, sushi is fishy, and steak is umami ish.
I can assure you that a 5yr old will pick a cookie over all of the above.

Not my kids. Some people do not like sweet things.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 11:32 am
It's an aquired taste. I love a toasted thick slice for an open faced sandwich like an avocado toast with a runny egg, but I do prefer regular challah.

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 11:37 am
amother Ivory wrote:
Do you make a brioche kind of dough using sourdough starter or is it just simple sourdough that you braid?

I make a different recipe. It's sweetened.

writinggirl

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 12:35 pm
I enjoy it when it’s warm. I buy it often.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 12:51 pm
I love crusty breads, especially sourdough. And with the dips on shabbos, they're the best! I also enjoy challah.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 12:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
The last 2 years everyone’s all into sourdough. People claim certain sourdough challahs are really good and they like it over regular challah.
I definitely understand that it’s a lot healthier. There’s no oil, yeast, eggs or sugar… of course it’s much healthier. I also believe that you can feel better if you eat sourdough over regular challah since it’s easier to digest.
But do you really like it so much?
I have eaten sourdough baked by different people. Nothing special.
I would take a slice of my rich, sweet challah anytime over a slice of sourdough (for the taste).
Why are people claiming that sourdough tastes exceptionally good? I don’t understand.

This was my reaction the first or second time I ate it. Now I would rather eat it than my homemade one!

amother
Lightgreen

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 12:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
The last 2 years everyone’s all into sourdough. People claim certain sourdough challahs are really good and they like it over regular challah.
I definitely understand that it’s a lot healthier. There’s no oil, yeast, eggs or sugar… of course it’s much healthier. I also believe that you can feel better if you eat sourdough over regular challah since it’s easier to digest.
But do you really like it so much?
I have eaten sourdough baked by different people. Nothing special.
I would take a slice of my rich, sweet challah anytime over a slice of sourdough (for the taste).
Why are people claiming that sourdough tastes exceptionally good? I don’t understand.

Good Sourdough is good Sourdough!

Some people think their challah is amazing and it isn't, I'm sure you know what I mean, same thing with sour dough.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 1:49 pm
amother Lightgreen wrote:
Good Sourdough is good Sourdough!

Some people think their challah is amazing and it isn't, I'm sure you know what I mean, same thing with sour dough.

What makes it a good sourdough?
How good could flour and water taste?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking