Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Audiobooks - what’s the limit?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 3:38 pm
A few months ago my 9yo started listening to the Harry Potter audiobooks. I made the mistake of not insisting he read them first.

Well he quickly got used to listening to stories and I noticed that he stopped reading. He used to read a lot.

Over the summer when we were away and didn’t have Alexa readily available we were able to kick the habit somewhat and since we got back I don’t allow him to listen in bed (which he used to). So he’s taken up reading again.

Now a couple of weeks in he’s upset because he wants to listen to Harry Potter in bed but after school he gets distracted with playing etc and then of course at bedtime I only let him read.

I’m starting to second guess myself. Obviously reading takes more effort and he wants to relax in bed. Am I being too strict?

amother
Crocus

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 3:41 pm
I listen to audiobooks all the time. Love the voices and the accents. I agree Harry Potter is better as an audiobook.

Amarante

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 3:52 pm
You should limit audio reading just as you would screen time.

When you are reading you are processing things different - especially important for a child who is still picking up verbal and written skills.

I listened to audiobooks when I had a long commute - no shame in it

In terms of your son, if he wants to listen to tapes to relax, then let him listen for 15 minutes in bed.

amother
Crocus

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 4:00 pm
Audiobooks help kids learn how to pronounce unfamiliar words and how to read with intonation and pacing - valuable skills.

bakingmom

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 5:27 pm
Have a couple of set times a week that he can listen for 30 minutes, so he can still enjoy the audio books but will keep reading at other times. It could even be a couple of nights he listens in bed, the other nights he reads in bed but the important thing is that it is at limited fixed times.

amother
Glitter

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 7:24 pm
I vote for practicing old fashioned reading is still important at that age. Limit audio books just like you’d limit screen time, with more relaxed limits than for screen time.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 7:29 pm
Audiobooks are for bedtime or long car rides here. Otherwise it's real books.

It's definitely not comparable to screentime though- no flashing lights and still need to use brain for comprehension.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 11:21 pm
Yes, I think you are being too strict. Some kids just dont like to read. You cant force it.
One of my children does not read. We used to try forcing. It was terrible. We stopped forcing.
Reading is not something that should be forced, in my opinion.
And listening to a book is better than nothing at all, again, in my opinion.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 11:33 pm
Happen to think bed is the best time for an audiobook. You can turn off the light and this will promote sleepiness rather than having a light on or straining eyes to read. Insist on his being in bed on time in order to listen, and set a timer or limit it to one chapter or track. Let him read before dark.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children