Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
How can I limit my time here?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 10:01 pm
I'm spending way to much time on my phone lately Can't Believe It and realize I must cut back. At first I was thinking to get a kosher smartphone and only allowing spefic apps on.... But I see it's not so simple ( I have apps for work and etc and it will be annoying to go through a filter company every time I need to make a change....and what if not all get approved and etc...).

I also realized the main problem for me is this site. I spend way to much time on here. Without this site my time on my phone would probably cut down a lot automatically. Is there a way to set a timer for that? I tried setting one using digital well-being but it was silly - I was easily just able to change it to more time when time was up.....
Is there something else I can use?

(I don't want to totally leave this site - I've gotten a lot of good from here as well, just want to limit it more)

singleagain

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 10:15 pm
I don't use any personally, but search the play store, or Google for apps. Check out the reviews and see if any sounds good

Happy247

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 10:17 pm
Following...

amother
Starflower

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 10:18 pm
Do you have an iPhone? You can setup screen time to put a max. Have someone else control the password so you can’t override.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 10:19 pm
amother Starflower wrote:
Do you have an iPhone? You can setup screen time to put a max. Have someone else control the password so you can’t override.

Thanks something like that could work but I have an Android...

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 10:20 pm
singleagain wrote:
I don't use any personally, but search the play store, or Google for apps. Check out the reviews and see if any sounds good

Thanks. I get nervous downloading things unless I know it's legit and that others are happy with it.... I guess I can try to do a lot of research, but figured I'd ask here first

Happy247

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 10:29 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks something like that could work but I have an Android...

Still looking for a better solution but for now I set the time limit for an hour less than my goal, and I'm strict with myself that I can't press "no time limit for today" or whatever it says when the time is over, so the max I could press is 1 hour and then it's done.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 10:37 pm
Happy247 wrote:
Still looking for a better solution but for now I set the time limit for an hour less than my goal, and I'm strict with myself that I can't press "no time limit for today" or whatever it says when the time is over, so the max I could press is 1 hour and then it's done.

That's great! I would love to have such self-control. If I was really determined, maybe it would work for a bit, but I could see myself slowly overriding that after a few weeks and letting the time creep up again....

NechaMom

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 11:06 pm
Maybe block a lot of forums so you have less threads to scroll... especially forums that pull you in.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 11:26 pm
NechaMom wrote:
Maybe block a lot of forums so you have less threads to scroll... especially forums that pull you in.

I did this, but it got too annoying that I couldn't search anymore. (Search results won't show blocked forums.)

I changed my password for Imamother to something long and convoluted and saved it on the computer, not on the phone. That helps a little.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 12:16 am
I have a program called focusme which I find helpful. You do have to pay for it but it's not that much. I set myself time limits on the sites I find distracting. My husband knows the code so if I want to override it for a day, he can do it... just have to make sure to reset it.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 12:21 am
If you have the gentech filter on your phone there's an option to have your internet on your device shut off certain times of day. I find that extremely helpful.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 10:21 pm
there is a app called stayed focused. In order to be able to turn off the button which lets you use less than the time that you want though , you will have to pay extra
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics