Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Canva appropriate for 10 year old?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 5:52 am
Dd wants me to sign her up on Canva. Her friends have it. Do I have to be concerned about inappropriate content? Like same-gender kissing or women in bikinis or anything else not appropriate for a 10 year old girl?

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 6:27 am
Canva itself is pareve. It's a layout program, think Publisher.

But it has templates (which are probably fine for the most part) and an integrated image search... which is fine depending on what you're searching for.

I let my 12 year old use it for school reasons, but only with conditions.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 7:23 am
I’ve used it for years and have never seen anything that can be problematic. Why don’t you check it out?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 7:24 am
I haven't found anything bad on it, but I also haven't looked for anything bad on it.
I've been able to create very professional designs on it.

bigsis144

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 7:32 am
You’ll definitely see otherwise completely kosher wedding invitation templates with the names of same-gender couples (ex. Stephanie & Layla).

I did a quick check of keywords like “summer” and “swimsuit” and yes, there are many stock photos of women in bikinis. “Pride” and “drag” will give you lots of flamboyant colors, “loud and proud”/“love is love” slogans and a few photos of men in makeup and people with rainbow hair etc., but imho it’s not salaciously s-xual, if you know what I mean?

So it’s up to you to know how/why your daughter will be using Canva, and what you feel comfortable with in terms of exposure.

amother
Whitewash

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 7:55 am
My 13 yr old daughter has been using this for the past year. My computer is heavily filtered and when I requested permission to access the website, the filter company allowed it.

tryinghard

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 9:18 am
amother Whitewash wrote:
My 13 yr old daughter has been using this for the past year. My computer is heavily filtered and when I requested permission to access the website, the filter company allowed it.

FYI:

Apparently, through Canva, you can access YouTube and it bypasses filters. We had to block Canva because of this.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 9:49 am
Thank you all!

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 9:53 am
I let dd use it with me sitting right next to her ... I don't let my kids use anything on the internet without supervision
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children