Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Frugality Olympics!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 10:56 pm
...And GO!

I'm so frugal that my kids wear hand-me-down underwear.

amother
Begonia

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 11:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
...And GO!

I'm so frugal that my kids wear hand-me-down underwear.

My kids actually do wear hand me down underwear. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I guess you've got competition for that medal.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 12:02 am
What is the point of this post? To mock people when times are hard? I'm sure many of us don't enjoy forcing our kids to wear hand-me-downs but don't have other options.

giftedmom

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 12:11 am
amother Goldenrod wrote:
What is the point of this post? To mock people when times are hard? I'm sure many of us don't enjoy forcing our kids to wear hand-me-downs but don't have other options.

But many do enjoy lecturing others for not being frugal enough

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 12:14 am
No, that was just one example. My kids actually do wear hand-me-down underwear, socks, tights, and shoes (clothes and coats too obviously).

But here it seems that there's a lot of competition to be the most frugal, so I offered that as a more pareve and true first post.

Here's one I don't do but might win me the medal if I start:

I'm so frugal we flush the toilet only once a day!

amother
Bergamot

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 12:15 am
I cut chicken on the bone up. I use the chicken as pargiyot and the bones for soup. This is chicken I get from the food pantry.

giftedmom

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 12:17 am
amother Bergamot wrote:
I cut chicken on the bone up. I use the chicken as pargiyot and the bones for soup. This is chicken I get from the food pantry.

You should fry the skins! A true Hungarian delicacy. Our ancestors definitely knew how to use every part of the animal.

Happydance

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 12:22 am
BH I have stepped out of frugal living as my life circumstances have changed, but when I was in school and husband in kollel, I lived in a tiny apt in someone’s basement, one bedroom with two kids, didnt buy paper goods, budgeted for $50 of groceries a week, drove a 20 year old car, got only handmedowns or gmach clothing, rationed garbage bags, only had handmedown furniture. BH it was the life!

dena613

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 12:22 am
amother Begonia wrote:
My kids actually do wear hand me down underwear. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I guess you've got competition for that medal.

So do mine.
Not from other people.
From other siblings.

dena613

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 12:24 am
amother OP wrote:
No, that was just one example. My kids actually do wear hand-me-down underwear, socks, tights, and shoes (clothes and coats too obviously).

But here it seems that there's a lot of competition to be the most frugal, so I offered that as a more pareve and true first post.

LOL Can't Believe It
I know someone who told me her rule is

Puke
When it’s yellow let it mellow
When it’s brown flush it down
Puke Hypnotized Rolling Eyes

amother
Bergamot

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 1:14 am
giftedmom wrote:
You should fry the skins! A true Hungarian delicacy. Our ancestors definitely knew how to use every part of the animal.

I put them in the soup too TMI

But wow that's something id love to learn

Elfrida

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 1:25 am
giftedmom wrote:

Our ancestors were also less aware of the risks of cholesterol...

Elfrida

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 1:27 am
amother Bergamot wrote:
I put them in the soup too TMI

But wow that's something id love to learn

Maybe I shouldn't say this after my previous post, but it's very simple. You put them in a frying pan with a pinch of salt over a medium heat. Stir every so often until the fat is melted out and they turn crispy.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 1:36 am
amother OP wrote:

I actually know that family. Its less for frugality and more for idealism for global concerns.
Who remembers Ed Koch's "If its yellow let it mellow, it ifs brown flush it down" (I probably should give context- Ed Koch was a Mayor of NY during a water shortage in the 80s.

Sorry I just read Dena613 beat me to it, Im leaving it for the context.
Gotta learn to read ALL the posts before I jump to post..... Banging head Is there an AL Chet for that?

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 1:40 am
Happydance wrote:
BH I have stepped out of frugal living as my life circumstances have changed, but when I was in school and husband in kollel, I lived in a tiny apt in someone’s basement, one bedroom with two kids, didnt buy paper goods, budgeted for $50 of groceries a week, drove a 20 year old car, got only handmedowns or gmach clothing, rationed garbage bags, only had handmedown furniture. BH it was the life!

Would you go back??

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 1:45 am
amother Bergamot wrote:

I do that too for Halachic reasons. Since the bones are considered muktza....I find it makes an amazing soup and it takes me 5 mins per chicken to debone it (when I started it took muuuuuuch longer).

amother
Peachpuff

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 2:22 am
I use about 1/8 of a piece of fabric softener sheet per load; it helps with the static as much as a full piece!

amother
NeonOrange

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 2:46 am
I used to tear the Huggies baby wipes in half.

amother
Pistachio

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 3:50 am
I moved to one of the cheapest places in Israel! (Fon't want to out myself by saying where)

SG18

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 4:51 am
amother Pistachio wrote:
I moved to one of the cheapest places in Israel! (Fon't want to out myself by saying where)

Me too! We happen to love it here, but would have spent a year in Jerusalem after Aliyah if it had been affordable.

I always save chicken bones and beef fat for soups. Delish!

Hack- take as many vegetable bags from the supermarket, to wrap dirty diapers in, or vegetable peels and rinds (so you can work over the counter, instead of the garbage).
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics