Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Flying with sukkah ETA lulav

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 12:16 am
What is the most efficient way to fly with a travel pop up sukkah? The schach is too long to fit in the biggest allowed luggage size. Do I need to pay for it as an additional check in item?

ETA, what about taking along lulav? Can it be considered a personal item or its too large?

amother
Magnolia

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 12:24 am
Not sure if it’ll work for you but I ordered a few beach pop up dressing rooms(they fit 2 ppl) on Amazon to the place I was staying at and got branches for schach

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 12:26 am
amother Magnolia wrote:
Not sure if it’ll work for you but I ordered a few beach pop up dressing rooms(they fit 2 ppl) on Amazon to the place I was staying at and got branches for schach

Thank you. I already ordered a sukkah though. Hoping there's a way I could make it work to take along without having to pay an additional check in luggage amount.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 8:17 am
Bump

amother
Latte

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 8:27 am
Just want to say that not all pop up things are kosher for a sukka. I don’t know the Halacha but something to d with the shape of the walls slanting to the roof or maybe the width of the roof/hole. Ask LOR before using.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 9:04 am
We always get someone to pick up a lulav there for us. Not worth the stress. Flying normally you can take in hand luggage but the thought of someone making it pasul bumping it etc isn't worth it. If you are in yerushalayim you won't have to look far for a lulav

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 9:53 am
I came here looking for answers, too.

Does anyone have experience flying with a pop-up sukkah kit?

Most airlines allow oversized packages for an additional fee, even free if it's sports equipment etc, but I can't figure out which category this belongs to from the website info.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 10:53 am
We're only going for ch. So I'm not buying two lulavs. Which means I need to find a way to bring it along. And I'm still stuck on the pop up sukkah. To pay for oversize will cost an additional 150.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 2:30 pm
Bump

amother
Stone

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 2:31 pm
We flew many many times with lulav/esrog. Never had an issue. Pop.up sukkah never did though.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 2:40 pm
amother Stone wrote:
We flew many many times with lulav/esrog. Never had an issue. Pop.up sukkah never did though.

Thanks for your response. So you took the lulav on the plane as a personal item? Or in addition to a personal item?

egam

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 3:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for your response. So you took the lulav on the plane as a personal item? Or in addition to a personal item?

It will depend how you pack it. If it’s separate in the lulav tube, it’s a separate personal item. If you stick this tube into your back pack or tote, it’s not. Lately, I like to take a shopping tote bag as my personal item and put all smaller loose items in there, including my purse so the are not considered as separate.
I recently forgot to put my purse into the tote bag and they stopped me and told me that I had 3 items, so I just said sorry, stuck my purse into the tote bag and everything was ok from their point of view.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics