Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Homework this week?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 8:57 pm
Dear teachers on here, do you give homework this week & now between yomim tovim?
My daughter has a ton of English homework now between yomim tovim, she even had homework for yesterday! Her homework tonight took at least 20 minutes and she needed my help. I don't understand this giving homework erev yom tov.
Is it a normal thing or do I have wrong expectations?
My other kids do not have homework. Only this one kid does.

bsy

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 9:05 pm
My pre1a son has his usual sheet of alef bais. Even over yom kippur.

GrowingUp

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 9:10 pm
I’m not a teacher, but as a parent I agree with you!

My younger elementary daughter has no homework.
My younger elementary son doesn’t have official homework, but the Rebbi recommended five minutes of kriah practice.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 9:15 pm
Kriah I understand. But math and spelling? Why? My older & younger kids don't have any homework. Just this 1 kid, who happens to hate math and did her homework in tears till I told her to stop. 20-25 minutes of homework erev yom tov is not ok, in my opinion. They had math homework for last night, motzei yom kippur! I wrote a note to the teacher that it's too of a busy timing for homework. Doesn't look like she got the message.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 9:18 pm
I understand not having homework over Wednesday night, but what’s different about tonight? It’s just a regular day.
For many teachers these days here and there between yom tov are a chance to get the kids used to the expectations for the class,
It happens to be I have had parents complain that I am not giving homework so you really can’t please everyone.

amother
Clover

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 9:22 pm
My kids had hw tonight.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 9:25 pm
Very grateful my daughter didn't have homework tonight. Ight 2 days of school this week. Give us all a break. Start sukkos it's going to be one long winter season of school. What's 2 nights of homework at such a busy time of year. Besides that I'm still physically recovering from the fast.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 9:27 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
I understand not having homework over Wednesday night, but what’s different about tonight? It’s just a regular day.
For many teachers these days here and there between yom tov are a chance to get the kids used to the expectations for the class,
It happens to be I have had parents complain that I am not giving homework so you really can’t please everyone.

It's not a regular day today. It's a day after a fast and erev yom tov. Not really the right time to give 20 minutes of math and spelling homework. I think it's just thoughtless, especially coming from a young newlywed teacher that's most probably not making yom tov.

theoneandonly

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 9:28 pm
Agreed, there shouldn't be HW this week.
(I think there's too much hw altogether but that's a separate discussion).

amother
Moccasin

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 9:33 pm
I see the homework but guess what too bad! I wrote a note on the homework sheet that it won’t get done and my child should not be punished. I also wrote I spoke to the menahel about it and they agreed so if my child does get punished for no homework I will b having the menahel talk to them. There’s no reason this week for the 2/3 days the kids have school that the extras like math, reading, science .. needs to get done. The only thing I can think of is the chazara of Gemara, Mishnayos, and Kriah. Otherwise everything else can wait until after the yomim tovim

amother
Firethorn

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 9:33 pm
notshanarishona wrote:

Many parents are busy cooking for yom tov, shopping, building the sukkah etc and don't have time to supervise hw. And we know that as much as teachers claim that kids should do hw independently, the reality is that most kids need at least some level of supervision and parental input. Parents have enough on their plate this week and teachers should not add more

MiriW

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 9:52 pm
Is it possible that your child was assigned hw on Thursday of last week that would be due today or tomorrow? I assigned math hw on Thursday and told my students it was due today. Happens to be I couldn't go today, so I sent a message with the substitute that I would collect the hw sheet tomorrow. However the students could have finished the sheet Thursday night and handed it in on Friday.

Is it possible that your child simply procrastinated and the teacher is not to blame?

As an aside - even if I had been able to go to work today, I wouldn't have assigned hw.

mha3484

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 10:13 pm
Three boys in 1st-7th no homework tonight. I assume they will come home tomorrow with sukkos learning packets. No English homework until after sukkos. There is 1.5 days of school this week why would there be any?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 10:15 pm
MiriW wrote:
Is it possible that your child was assigned hw on Thursday of last week that would be due today or tomorrow? I assigned math hw on Thursday and told my students it was due today. Happens to be I couldn't go today, so I sent a message with the substitute that I would collect the hw sheet tomorrow. However the students could have finished the sheet Thursday night and handed it in on Friday.

Is it possible that your child simply procrastinated and the teacher is not to blame?

As an aside - even if I had been able to go to work today, I wouldn't have assigned hw.

No, it was assigned on Thursday to be taken back to school by today. It had to be done between yom kippur. They got new homework for today that has to be done for tomorrow.

amother
Azalea

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 10:29 pm
amother OP wrote:
No, it was assigned on Thursday to be taken back to school by today. It had to be done between yom kippur. They got new homework for today that has to be done for tomorrow.

Sounds very wrong to get h.w. for motzei the fast
Are you sure that's the full picture? How was English h.w. assigned for motzei the fast? I don't understand how it was given without them having prior more appropriate opportunities to do it

MiriW

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 11:12 pm
amother OP wrote:

To be fair, the teacher gave them Thursday night to do it. You might not love that hw is being given so consistently and without break for your schedule, but the teacher is allowed to give hw Thursday night to he handed in on Tuesday.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 11:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
Kriah I understand. But math and spelling? Why? My older & younger kids don't have any homework. Just this 1 kid, who happens to hate math and did her homework in tears till I told her to stop. 20-25 minutes of homework erev yom tov is not ok, in my opinion. They had math homework for last night, motzei yom kippur! I wrote a note to the teacher that it's too of a busy timing for homework. Doesn't look like she got the message.

My daughter had the opposite- English and spelling, but no kriah!

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 11:29 pm
notshanarishona wrote:

Except it’s not just a regular day. I felt like cr@p today, thanks to the fast yesterday, but I still had to do everything like it was a regular day. By the time my daughter came home at 4:30, I had nothing left in me. Not for homework, not for dinner, not for showers….and don’t forget cooking and shopping for succos. That’s not part of my regular day to day. There are 2 or 3 days of school this week, can’t we get a break?

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 11:33 pm
amother OP wrote:

So technically it could have been done on Friday or Sunday, but neither were ideal for spending 20-25 minutes on homework!! I dislike the concept of homework in general, but this just seems like an unfair expectation either way.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 11:45 pm
MiriW wrote:
To be fair, the teacher gave them Thursday night to do it. You might not love that hw is being given so consistently and without break for your schedule, but the teacher is allowed to give hw Thursday night to he handed in on Tuesday.
l
Fair and right are not the same thing. It would be fair to give homework Thursday night to be brought back after succos, but that doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics