Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
How much would it cost family of 9 to Israel for sukkos

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 2:32 pm
I'm guessing around 70k- 100k between food (if buying out everything), airfare, clothing (everything matching, new with robes etc), accommodations (staying in an upscale apartment in yerushalayim), trips (camel rides etc).

If someone has a good estimate I'd love to know.

amother
Steel

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 2:35 pm
Counting people's money? Lol

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 2:39 pm
Is this meant to be in emotional health?

Don't focus on what other people spend. That's for sure bad for mental health.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 2:43 pm
Why are you asking?

amother
Lemonlime

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 2:46 pm
Why do you want to know? You come across as pretty judgemental. As if everyone that goes to Israel for yom tov, does all things you mentioned.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Sat, Sep 30 2023, 11:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm guessing around 70k- 100k between food (if buying out everything), airfare, clothing (everything matching, new with robes etc), accommodations (staying in an upscale apartment in yerushalayim), trips (camel rides etc).

You are totally under, I mean new wardrobes (top brands, great quality and expensive all the way) for men and women and children - and obviously new jewelry (diamonds of course and understated jewelry for holy sites), and watches, cufflinks and tie pins for the men. Not to mention the sheitels, with the hot weather you need a new fall for everyday, a Shabbos sheitel and a seudas shlishis sheitel. Some new tichels arent a bad idea.

Your husband needs a new Shabbos hat, and everyday hat, and cap for the touring...oh and new sunglasses.

Dont forget insurances, wifi and phone connections for Israel so you can stay in touch. Since the electricity is a different system you need phone chargers, hair dryer, shaver etc for Israel. Your laptop and other essential electric appliances too...its a good idea to bring your own coffee maker, milk frother etc.

I am assuming business class seats on ElAl are good enough, why waste money on first class...you can pick up the good liquor and wine for yuntif at duty free and save some money.

You wont need to stay in an upscale apartment, the Mamilla hotel has large suites and everything you need and great location, food, spa - pool, gym, meditation room etc. You will save money on the special deserts you would have to buy if staying in an apartment.

Minivan rental and your personal tour guide will also cost more this year, being that there are full chol hamoed days. ( not including entrance fees and tips).

Photographer is a must if you want great memories of this trip - totally worth it even for just chol hamoed although it would be nice to get those just-before-yuntif pictures.

I would recommend at least one nanny for the children and best to bring your own sheitel macher/make up artist too, who knows if you can find someone reliable in Israel. For the 2 day Yuntif, you need makeup that will last!

You can rent a front spot for Birchas Kohanim for a good price for your 9 people....not including the nanny and makeup artist and tour guide...tip- dont wear your new jewelry to the Kosel, or the shnorrers will never let you daven...

If you inform Mishpacha magazine ahead of time maybe they can deliver to your hotel room instead of your home in the US. You can save on daily newspapers by checking online the news.

You can take your fam to Israel for Sukkos, OR YOU CAN OWN YOUR OWN KOLLEL!!

essie14

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 1:13 am
B'Siyata DiShamaya wrote:
You are totally under, I mean new wardrobes (top brands, great quality and expensive all the way) for men and women and children - and obviously new jewelry (diamonds of course and understated jewelry for holy sites), and watches, cufflinks and tie pins for the men. Not to mention the sheitels, with the hot weather you need a new fall for everyday, a Shabbos sheitel and a seudas shlishis sheitel. Some new tichels arent a bad idea.

Your husband needs a new Shabbos hat, and everyday hat, and cap for the touring...oh and new sunglasses.

Dont forget insurances, wifi and phone connections for Israel so you can stay in touch. Since the electricity is a different system you need phone chargers, hair dryer, shaver etc for Israel. Your laptop and other essential electric appliances too...its a good idea to bring your own coffee maker, milk frother etc.

I am assuming business class seats on ElAl are good enough, why waste money on first class...you can pick up the good liquor and wine for yuntif at duty free and save some money.

You wont need to stay in an upscale apartment, the Mamilla hotel has large suites and everything you need and great location, food, spa - pool, gym, meditation room etc. You will save money on the special deserts you would have to buy if staying in an apartment.

Minivan rental and your personal tour guide will also cost more this year, being that there are full chol hamoed days. ( not including entrance fees and tips).

Photographer is a must if you want great memories of this trip - totally worth it even for just chol hamoed although it would be nice to get those just-before-yuntif pictures.

I would recommend at least one nanny for the children and best to bring your own sheitel macher/make up artist too, who knows if you can find someone reliable in Israel. For the 2 day Yuntif, you need makeup that will last!

You can rent a front spot for Birchas Kohanim for a good price for your 9 people....not including the nanny and makeup artist and tour guide...tip- dont wear your new jewelry to the Kosel, or the shnorrers will never let you daven...

If you inform Mishpacha magazine ahead of time maybe they can deliver to your hotel room instead of your home in the US. You can save on daily newspapers by checking online the news.

đź‘Ź đź‘Ź đź‘Ź

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 2:19 am
Omg I can't stop laughing. I hated those ads about a kollel. Invest is a asset? Ewwww that's so degrading to Torah to make it sounds like an asset.

I can just imagine rich people sitting around being like "What did you do this week?" "Ah remember the kollel I bought two weeks ago? So I sold it for double the price, such a great investment!"

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 4:15 am
amother OP wrote:

Camel rides. I knew I forgot to budget something!

amother
Lightgreen

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 9:13 pm
No idea why you’re asking, but I’m currently in Israel for Sukkos and BH we are a family of 9. We will be spending under $15k.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 9:18 pm
amother Lightgreen wrote:
No idea why you’re asking, but I’m currently in Israel for Sukkos and BH we are a family of 9. We will be spending under $15k.

How is this possible? Wouldn't tickets alone be around $10k

amother
Lightgreen

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 9:36 pm
amother Cyan wrote:
How is this possible? Wouldn't tickets alone be around $10k

We discussed this on another thread. I’m not the only one saying this was doable.

We spent $8k on tickets this year (we had/have a short domestic layover in both directions), took our change and rented a big car lol (2k) and a small but very nice apartment (approx another 2k). The apartment we rented is not in the middle of the American yerushalayim scene, but the location works amazing for us. That leaves us more than enough for all the other smaller expenses ($80 travel insurance, $100 for a data pass on both my own and my husbands phones so we have unlimited service in Israel, etc etc etc, and then food, clothing, and a few trips… which fyi we’d have had to buy food, clothing, and go on trips in America also).

We were hosted for first days so that helped, but I brought plenty of food with me from America anyway just in case. If you have kids, you don’t go down the block without a huge bag of food lol so I’m sure fellow mommies can understand Smile

I don’t want to be too specific, but we made the decision to come to do this trip for very specific reasons, rather than just splurgey american vacationers, but I will say Yom Tov is a time when it feels like Hashem says “don’t worry I have all the money in the world and I want you to enjoy”— buy new clothing, meat, wine, and yes go up to yerushalayim. I’ll bet it wasn’t a free trip when we had a Bais Hamikdash either, but people did what they did because it was Hashem’s Will.

Don’t be jealous. We all have our struggles TRUST ME LOL. Good Yom Tov to all.

amother
Camellia

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 9:49 pm
B'Siyata DiShma wrote:

Pretty good breakdown, last time I was in Israel I got bird poop in my shaitel so I had to get it washed and set there. And my husband’s hat took a direct hit. So always take double. Maybe take a couple strollers too, just in case they get dirty? Or a bird? Or you can see if a kollel wife does shaitels or has a store in her dira and then you’ll be supporting both sides. So awesome. True Yissachar Zevulon.

amother
Garnet

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 9:54 pm
My friend went too.
Family of 13
She got free ticket from some glitch on capital 1 credit card last year and she got a huge amount of points
All tickets were free and she swapped her apt and she cooked in America.
So she basically had a regular yt without spending extra (more or less )

amother
Marigold

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 10:35 pm

This makes a bit more sense, but still a bit low. I was thinking more like 20-25k. (Not that I've done it...)
Don't forget, Yom Tov costs money in the US too, so the question is how much more it would be than staying home, not how much in total.
Food, clothing, and chol hamoed outings cost money at home too.

amother
Hosta

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 10:41 pm
Where do you get apts for so cheap? I am a family of six and assumed yt in Israel would be like 25k.
I was there once years ago and we searched and searched to get an apt in under 10k. (Went with extended family then -21 ppl and yt cost 45k I think)
I assumed 10k apt. 7-8k tickets plus things to do there...

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 11:08 pm

You obviously didn't read OPs specs- she wants luxury and why not if she can afford it. Personally I imagine Olam Haba as she recounts it- and hope for the day I can be doing such a vacay!! (" (if buying out (food) everything), airfare, clothing (everything matching, new with robes etc), accommodations (staying in an upscale apartment in yerushalayim), trips (camel rides etc).

- no stopover on her camel rides.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 11:36 pm
I rented out my large (for Israel) home in RBS for $5,000 to a family coming in from America. 5 large bedrooms. I think they got a pretty good deal. A home like mine in rechavia could go for 30k for Sukkos.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics