Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
One spouse not knowing the finances (s/o Ami story thread)
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 7:24 am
It's not abusive or controlling if only one spouse is interested in the household finances and the other just doesn't want to bother. However, it is very much inadvisable. Things happen. If chas v'shalom the spouse who's in charge of finances is incapacitated, it's even worse for the other spouse to be financially lost on top of that. And two heads are better than one. Couples working together can manage their finances better than one person alone.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 7:25 am
amother OP wrote:
It's not abusive or controlling if only one spouse is interested in the household finances and the other just doesn't want to bother. However, it is very much inadvisable. Things happen. If chas v'shalom the spouse who's in charge of finances is incapacitated, it's even worse for the other spouse to be financially lost on top of that. And two heads are better than one. Couples working together can manage their finances better than one person alone.

My husband managing the finances on his own is much better than me getting involved.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 7:31 am
amother Aquamarine wrote:
My husband managing the finances on his own is much better than me getting involved.

There are different kinds of involvement.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 7:43 am
amother OP wrote:
There are different kinds of involvement.

Im not involved. At all. He tells me when we are tight or when I can splurge. Not at all controlling. Just the way it is. Numbers and balancing isn’t my thing AT ALL. This works wonderfully for us. Maybe it doesn’t for others.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 7:51 am

Same. I earn, and spend more or less as I please so it's not a problem. I'll just get stressed if I'm involved. My dh will tell me when I need to be more careful, or if he gets a bonus etc.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 7:52 am
Im not involved. At all. He tells me when we are tight or when I can splurge. Not at all controlling. Just the way it is. Numbers and balancing isn’t my thing AT ALL. This works wonderfully for us. Maybe it doesn’t for others.

Yep, same

happy chick

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 7:55 am

Same. I always think that if c"v something were to happen to him, I wouldn't be able to pick up the pieces. I would be completely lost. I agree it's not good, but there's so much going on with so many cc's and so many bank accounts and transfers, etc. I take care of the house, he takes care of the finances.

ETA - otoh, if something were c"v to happen to me, my husband would be just as lost as I would. In terms of the kids/house/school/schedules.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 7:57 am
happy chick wrote:
Same. I always think that if c"v something were to happen to him, I wouldn't be able to pick up the pieces. I would be completely lost. I agree it's not good, but there's so much going on with so many cc's and so many bank accounts and transfers, etc. I take care of the house, he takes care of the finances.

Exactly. It would probably be a disaster if c”v something happened, but I know he has friends and family who would step up to help me out.
And I agree with your edit as well.

happy chick

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 7:57 am
Exactly. It would probably be a disaster if c”v something happened, but I know he has friends and family who would step up to help me out.
And I agree with your edit as well.

Of course. Mi k'amcha yisroel Smile

zaq

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 8:10 am
There's lack of active involvement, and then there's complete ignorance. The first in fine if both partners agree; the second is inexcusable and a recipe for disaster.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 8:16 am
zaq wrote:
There's lack of active involvement, and then there's complete ignorance. The first in fine if both partners agree; the second is inexcusable and a recipe for disaster.

If complete ignorance works, and the other spouse is not being controlled and/or abused, then it’s not inexcusable. Every couple has to do what works for them.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 8:17 am
I manage our finances, but my husband has full access and passwords to everything.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 8:22 am
For all of you who are not involved at all, what if chas veshalom something happened to your husband and you had to take charge? Or something happened and you had to leave your husband? Yes, I know, not very happy thoughts, but realistic. What would you do? You would have no idea about finances and that is a very scary and not good place to be at a time when that is something that you should not have to be worried about. Just a thought.

amother
Bone

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 8:27 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
For all of you who are not involved at all, what if chas veshalom something happened to your husband and you had to take charge? Or something happened and you had to leave your husband? Yes, I know, not very happy thoughts, but realistic. What would you do? You would have no idea about finances and that is a very scary and not good place to be at a time when that is something that you should not have to be worried about. Just a thought.

I manage the finances, and I'm going to say that if chas vsholom something happens to me they will be in deep, deep trouble. I just hope that my husband will have good friends who will help him. Or better, hopefully we'll all be healthy until 120.

amother
Lily

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 8:28 am
I am in charge of finances. My husband isn't very responsible and the bills probably wouldn't be paid on time ..... sad, but that's life. He is good at other things BH.
That being said, I do think it's important ... When my brother was suddenly jailed (long term, unfortunately), my sister in law had to learn fast things she never delt with before....

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 8:34 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

Like I said before….it should never ever happen, but if god forbid something were to happen, we have friends and family who would step up to help me out.
And as someone else pointed out, he would be just as lost if something happened to me. He is not really involved in school, doctors appointments, services that our kids receive….

Iymnok

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 8:39 am
I am aware, but totally don’t get the workings of it. DH keeps his books extremely organized, so I’m sure someone could decipher what I’d need to know in an emergency.
Our shalom bayis is worth more than me being involved.

honey36

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 8:44 am
I also have no idea what's going on with our finances.

But I assume if C"V something happened to DH, our accountants basically have all our financial records and can give me a basic walk through of what my situation is. We also have a financial planner. Isn't this part of their job?

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 10:13 am
You don’t need to be involved but your should know what assets you have and which institutions they are held at.

Your accountant only has knowledge of your income bearing assets.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 10:21 am
I take care of the finances that in no way means I control all the money though.

It's not the same thing.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics