Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Roaches!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 4:11 am
I have never had this bug before and dont knkw what to do next.

Eta. After I wrote this, I see how long it is. You can skip, in summary, Im pretty sure I have roaches. If not that, then some other infestation.

Can I DIY or should I call an exterminator? They have gotten much worse in about a week. Im not a fan from cost or chemical perspective to go to exterminator but dont want to let this get any worse

If diy, what did you do? At what point to I give up?

------------orig long post you can akip

For the past few weeks, every few nights I saw these itty bitty round beetle bugs on a specific small corner of corner thar sits against the outside wall- the oven is on one side the sink on the other. I had no idea what they were, had never seen such a bug before. I killed them and hoped theyd go away. They seem attracted to the urn thats on my counter

On chol hamoed, my cleaning lady points out to me that I hsve a "cookaracha" , and shows me a large bug wiggling between where the counter meets the cabinet. I can't see it so well, but Im concerned so with her help move and clean under my stove and empty rhe cabinets in that area and clean them. The fridge is not near but I move and clean it ar well. With the contents of my cabinets around my husband asks of we mixed up holidays..... with all that we did not see another bug at that time.

However, over yom tov I see bugs every night around the urn (that I cant kill bc yt!).

Ok. Fast forward to motzai yom tov. Im seeing bigger bugs. And a bunch that night. Yikes!!! These look like roaches!

Yesterday, I see during the day once, and then last night several a variety of sizes. Still only on this counter. I berate myself for not getting roach bait yet.

Help please !

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 4:18 am
Want to add in in Lakewood in a private home.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 4:19 am
I once lived in an apt that somehow got infested. Once they create their best, it's very hard to get cuz they make the nests in inconspicuous spaces. The only thing that worked for me were the foggers. I had to do it approx once every 6 months. It is super unhealthy, but so is living with roaches.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 4:20 am
Good luck. I dealt with this for a long time and they are very difficult to get rid of. Only thing that worked for me was an exterminator coming in repeatedly.

amother
Thistle

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 4:23 am
Gel bait and Gentrol
Diatomaceous earth

They are hard to get rid of, but you can reduce their population with the things above and removing sources of food and water.

amother
Chambray

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 4:30 am
Nitro cockroach gel bait

naomi2

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 4:37 am
Get an exterminator, don't wait

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 4:55 am
Roaches don't like the smell of lavender oil. It's possible (probable) that at this point you need an exterminator but once you make progress with getting rid of them, spraying lavender oil all over your house once a week is a chemical free way of keeping them from coming back.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 5:49 am
amother DarkCyan wrote:
Good luck. I dealt with this for a long time and they are very difficult to get rid of. Only thing that worked for me was an exterminator coming in repeatedly.

Did they go right to fog or first bait?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 5:58 am
amother Chambray wrote:
Nitro cockroach gel bait

What do you do with the gel?

This is my kitchen. Where do I put things?

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 6:18 am
Definitely get an exterminator.

amother
Stonewash

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 6:31 am
Had roaches when I moved into this apt. Used this and haven’t seen one since
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....title

Syngenta 383920 Advion Cockroach Gel Bait

Edited to add: follow the instructions. We just put it down once and it did the job - BH! Hatzlacha!

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 6:36 am
amother Stonewash wrote:

I've used this too. But the real way to get them all at once is foggers. It really really works. If you want them gone, do it. And now, before you get majorly infested. They are horrible creatures to live with. Don't waste time and money with exterminators ( unless you know someone personally who used them and took care of the problem).

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 6:36 am
amother Stonewash wrote:

How did you use this. Can you tell me exactly what you did?

Also, Im seeing them in one specific corner of my kichen. Do I put bait and gel all over or just there?

Also, I haven't seen them anywhere except my counter in that corner, crowding by the urn. Do I bait on my counter?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 6:37 am
amother Blue wrote:
I've used this too. But the real way to get them all at once is foggers. It really really works. If you want them gone, do it. And now, before you get majorly infested. They are horrible creatures to live with. Don't waste time and money with exterminators ( unless you know someone personally who used them and took care of the problem).

What is the difference between foggers and exterminators? I thought exterminators fog?

Amarante

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 6:48 am
Get an exterminator - nip it in the bud.

The good thing is that most private homes in the Northeast don't have roach problems - in the South it is different. If you get rid of them you almost certainly won't have a problem because it is so rare - especially with the new pesticides which bring the poison back to the nest and prevent breeding.

The *funny* thing about the new pesticides is because of the way they eliminate roaches you don't see large numbers of dead roaches so people don't realize how effective they are.

I grew up in a private home - no roaches until my mother saw a roach in the kitchen and almost fainted. My father said it probably had hitched a ride home in a paper bag from the supermarket or it could have been an egg that hatched in the bag. It was just an isolated incident.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 7:39 am
Amarante wrote:
Get an exterminator - nip it in the bud.

The good thing is that most private homes in the Northeast don't have roach problems - in the South it is different. If you get rid of them you almost certainly won't have a problem because it is so rare - especially with the new pesticides which bring the poison back to the nest and prevent breeding.

The *funny* thing about the new pesticides is because of the way they eliminate roaches you don't see large numbers of dead roaches so people don't realize how effective they are.

I grew up in a private home - no roaches until my mother saw a roach in the kitchen and almost fainted. My father said it probably had hitched a ride home in a paper bag from the supermarket or it could have been an egg that hatched in the bag. It was just an isolated incident.

Yes. I have never seen one.

Just recognized from pictures....but only when it got big. I thought it was some wierd beetle rhe weather drove in when I first saw them tiny.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 7:47 am
We have a yearly exterminator for roaches and ants. If you hire an exterminator let him know about all insects you are seeing around, they might know how to deal with them too.

mha3484

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 7:52 am
I lived in a building with a roach problem and then I moved to a house that no issues and nothing that I was doing cleaning wise changed so I did some research and asked people and I found that they like moisture which was an issue that we constantly had due to a basement that always flooded and a roof that was falling apart. Neither of which the landlord wanted to deal with. You should get an exterminator but also look for the sources that may be attracting them to you to begin with.

amother
Brickred

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 10:36 am
I used Bugaboo in Lakewood. They got rid of roaches and guarantee it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry