Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
9 yr old ADHD/ODD refuses therapy - what now?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 10:42 am
My 9 year old son who has ADHD and possible ODD is doing great at school for the most part bH, but at home he is extremely inflexible and dysregulated. I started taking him to play therapy, but in line with his inflexibility and refusal to do anything he doesn't think is exciting, he decided he doesn't want to go anymore and flat out refused to come to his last appointment. He says it's because it's boring and he doesn't like talking about things. I've taken him to a few different therapists and this one is by far the most engaging with fun activities, etc. but he says it's still boring and he won't even consider trying a different therapist. I tried incentives, but no go. We considered medication, but since he is doing ok in school, we are holding off.
What now?

mha3484

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 10:50 am
Instead of therapy or in addition, I really like the explosive child for this because it takes feeling and behavior out of the conversation. Your not discussing how did you feel when this happened or getting into a deep discussion about behavior, both of which my 9 year old really does not like. If I ask him how he thinks he can solve his own issue with X I get great responses from him.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 10:52 am
mha3484 wrote:
Instead of therapy or in addition, I really like the explosive child for this because it takes feeling and behavior out of the conversation. Your not discussing how did you feel when this happened or getting into a deep discussion about behavior, both of which my 9 year old really does not like. If I ask him how he thinks he can solve his own issue with X I get great responses from him.

Thank you. I have tried this, but he also refuses to discuss problems/solutions, and even when I do get him to discuss something and we come up with an agreed-upon solution, he doesn't stick to it. He's so impulsive that he just does whatever he wants at that moment.

amother
Mintcream

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 11:01 am
he may be brilliant and sees the therapists as repeating themselves, albeit in different words.
such a child needs a good clique of a therapist; much more than others.

Echinacea

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 11:02 am
Use rewards. What is something he really wants and have him earn points by going to the appointment and participating. The reward should be earned relatively quickly.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 11:07 am
Echinacea wrote:
Use rewards. What is something he really wants and have him earn points by going to the appointment and participating. The reward should be earned relatively quickly.

I tried this but he won't go for it unless it's something really big and he doesn't have the patience to earn something over a long period of time. He's not interested in small incentives, and I am not willing to buy him an mp3 player every week.

amother
Honey

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 11:12 am
Teach him now that you are the boss
Pick your battles. If this is important and it’s working, do whatever it takes to get him there. Like forcing a toddler to take his meds.

You know your child the best. How can you convey to this child this is non negotiable

You would never let him run into oncoming traffic. How do you enforce that?

Echinacea

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 11:21 am
Another thought is he needs more exercise. How much physical activity is he getting? Can that be added to his day.

amother
Oldlace

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 12:15 pm
I would try alternative things like craniosacral therapy, rhythmic movement, vitamins etc..

amother
Yarrow

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 12:21 pm
Why dont you go to therapy? It may have far more effect than him going at this point. He seems to have a strong part that feels he is not the problem. Even if you feel otherwise, perhaps it may be something to try! At the very least it will give you better tools to help him.

amother
Springgreen

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 2:11 pm
This was my dc. Conventional wisdom at the time was the parents need to be in therapy. So dh and I paid top dollar for a therapist who specializes in this. Yes, we became much better parents but my dc was the same until we treated dc for pandas.

mha3484

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 2:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you. I have tried this, but he also refuses to discuss problems/solutions, and even when I do get him to discuss something and we come up with an agreed-upon solution, he doesn't stick to it. He's so impulsive that he just does whatever he wants at that moment.

I have another son who was like this and honestly nothing got better until we medicated. Everything we tried to teach him was like theoretical because he could not actually implement it in the moment.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 2:20 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I have another son who was like this and honestly nothing got better until we medicated. Everything we tried to teach him was like theoretical because he could not actually implement it in the moment.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Responding specifically to this one - how do you do medication when the issues are only at home? The typical ADHD meds are stimulants and appropriate only to be taken during the day, and bH he's fine at school.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 2:22 pm
amother Springgreen wrote:
This was my dc. Conventional wisdom at the time was the parents need to be in therapy. So dh and I paid top dollar for a therapist who specializes in this. Yes, we became much better parents but my dc was the same until we treated dc for pandas.

We thought this was PANDAS at first, but after being on antibiotics (and other supplements) for 5 weeks with ups and downs and no sustainable significant improvement, I'm starting to wonder if he's just changing because he's getting older.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 2:23 pm
amother Oldlace wrote:
I would try alternative things like craniosacral therapy, rhythmic movement, vitamins etc..
This. And also homeopathy.

mha3484

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 2:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Responding specifically to this one - how do you do medication when the issues are only at home? The typical ADHD meds are stimulants and appropriate only to be taken during the day, and bH he's fine at school.

My son had issues in both places. So for us it was really necessary. My son got a lot out of taking a non stimulant for the impulse control called Intuniv. It did a lot for him to help him control himself and it doesnt wear off like a stimulant does. He also took strattera for focusing but if you have no school issues you likely dont need that part. But its really worth a conversation with an MD because the ability to self regulate as he gets older is really important.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 2:34 pm
Are you me? Lol - you sound exactly like my son. I have a therapist work with my son in the guise of woodwork/guy activities (drones, building - not sure but stuff guys like). He works with him and in the work does the therapy.

He also goes to karate - I find that physical activity with a "man figure" that is in charge is amazing.

I don't agree with showing him you are boss- that's sure to backfire. And meds did more harm than good (we tried that for a long long time)

Hugs- not easy at all.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 2:41 pm
amother Whitesmoke wrote:
Are you me? Lol - you sound exactly like my son. I have a therapist work with my son in the guise of woodwork/guy activities (drones, building - not sure but stuff guys like). He works with him and in the work does the therapy.

He also goes to karate - I find that physical activity with a "man figure" that is in charge is amazing.

I don't agree with showing him you are boss- that's sure to backfire. And meds did more harm than good (we tried that for a long long time)

Hugs- not easy at all.

Wait a sec this sounds incredible - totally up my son's alley. I'm sure we're not in the same location but how did you find a therapist like that?

And yes - showing him I'm boss completely backfires.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 2:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
Wait a sec this sounds incredible - totally up my son's alley. I'm sure we're not in the same location but how did you find a therapist like that?

And yes - showing him I'm boss completely backfires.

I'm in Lakewood area. My son is on the spectrum (very high functioning so almost invisible to the untrained eye) so I was looking for someone that had some knowledge of autism but was not at all interested in ABA (since that too would backfire with my son), someone that could form a relationship with my son - and figure him out.

I believe back in the day these kids had a diagnosis called conduct disorder. Now it's called ODD. I've heard it called pathological demand avoidance. Bottom line is this type of kid will never listen unless parent is doing what kid wants. If you don't have a kid like this you can't understand and will think traditional behavior modification or some other parenting strategy will work.

I think the guy I have that does woodworking does something of a mix between floortime, nurtured heart and just plain excellent mentor.

As an aside, did you ever do nurtured heart approach course? NOT because it will work to make your son magically listen but for yourself. I'll explain. I found that dealing with this type of kid made me into a witch- I was always so negative and angry with him (and the world for that matter Smile It's very VERY difficult to parent a kid like this - where you almost feel like you want to give him up (that's a normal feeling - I learned) Nurtured heart just helped me be the happy, loving, positive person I always was EVEN WHILE dealing with this difficult kid. It did not make my kid behave better but it made me into a happier mom (at least some of the time).

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 3:06 pm
amother Whitesmoke wrote:
I'm in Lakewood area. My son is on the spectrum (very high functioning so almost invisible to the untrained eye) so I was looking for someone that had some knowledge of autism but was not at all interested in ABA (since that too would backfire with my son), someone that could form a relationship with my son - and figure him out.

I believe back in the day these kids had a diagnosis called conduct disorder. Now it's called ODD. I've heard it called pathological demand avoidance. Bottom line is this type of kid will never listen unless parent is doing what kid wants. If you don't have a kid like this you can't understand and will think traditional behavior modification or some other parenting strategy will work.

I think the guy I have that does woodworking does something of a mix between floortime, nurtured heart and just plain excellent mentor.

As an aside, did you ever do nurtured heart approach course? NOT because it will work to make your son magically listen but for yourself. I'll explain. I found that dealing with this type of kid made me into a witch- I was always so negative and angry with him (and the world for that matter Smile It's very VERY difficult to parent a kid like this - where you almost feel like you want to give him up (that's a normal feeling - I learned) Nurtured heart just helped me be the happy, loving, positive person I always was EVEN WHILE dealing with this difficult kid. It did not make my kid behave better but it made me into a happier mom (at least some of the time).

That is incredible that you have found someone like that! YES, I did nurtured heart but a few years ago - it was very effective at that age and I really should double-down on it again; his behavior is so much more difficult to deal with at this age that I'm skeptical, but thanks for the reminder.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)