Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Spinach Artichoke Khachapuri

Amarante

Post Tue, Oct 17 2023, 4:01 pm
This was delicious and I found a video of Chani and a friend making it so it de-mystified it completely.

I did use purchased pizza dough.

Here's the video

https://www.facebook.com/reel/813973896920004

Spinach Artichoke Khachapuri

Excerpt From: Chanie Apfelbaum - Totally Kosher

Serves 8

I first tried khachapuri at a restaurant called Khachapuria in the Machane Yehuda Shuk in Jerusalem. The dish, made with a cheesy filling topped with an egg yolk, is named after the boat-shaped breads that are native to Georgia. It was one of the best foods I had ever tried, and when I returned home, I was euphoric to find that Marani, a kosher Georgian restaurant in Queens, had a meaty version that was equally delicious. This adaptation was inspired by the classic spinach artichoke dip, which pairs wonderfully with the runny egg yolk.

1 cup ricotta or whipped cottage cheese
1 cup (packed) shredded mozzarella
½ cup crumbled feta
¼ cup grated Parmesan
1 (10-ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
1 (14-ounce) can artichokes, drained and chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 recipe All-Purpose Pizza Dough (this page)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 extra-large egg yolks
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Place two sheet trays in the oven and preheat to 425°F.

In a large bowl, combine the ricotta, mozzarella, feta, and Parmesan. Mix in the spinach, artichokes, and garlic. Season with pepper.

Divide the pizza dough in half. On two lightly floured sheets of parchment paper, use a rolling pin to roll out each piece of dough into a rough oval shape (about 10 × 15 inches). Divide and spoon the cheese mixture evenly into the center of each dough, leaving a 2-inch border. Roll the edges over so that the dough wraps around the cheese to form a “boat,” twisting the ends closed.

Using oven mitts, carefully remove the sheet trays from the oven and transfer the boats by carefully lifting both sides of the parchment paper onto the trays. Brush the exposed dough with olive oil. Bake the khachapuri for 20 minutes, until the crust is golden and the cheese is melting.

Remove from the oven and use a spoon to make a well in the center of the cheese mixture. Place a yolk into the well of each khachapuri. Return to the oven and bake for 3 minutes, or until the yolks are just set around the edges but still runny. Transfer the khachapuri to a serving platter.

Dot each khachapuri with 1 tablespoon of the butter. To eat, stir the eggs and butter into the hot cheese. Tear off pieces of the dough from the edges and dip them in “into the cheese and egg mixture.

This is a picture of the process from her cookbook

challahchallah

Post Tue, Oct 17 2023, 4:06 pm
This looks delicious! Khachapuri is a staple in our house but I’ll have to try this variation.

Amarante

Post Tue, Oct 17 2023, 4:18 pm
challahchallah wrote:
This looks delicious! Khachapuri is a staple in our house but I’ll have to try this variation.

How does your recipe differ?

Is it meat filled or just slightly different variation of cheese filling?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals