Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
MSW: TTI vs SS vs Other options
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 11:09 am
There are quite a few threads with similar topics but I was hoping for some updated and more in depth responses
Does anyone know the difference between the programs both logistically and practically?
In the hiring process, does the college giving the degree matter?
How is the administration in each program?
Any other programs to consider?

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 11:59 am
TTI is mainly asynchronous, and SS is live online or in person. From my research, TTI is much easier. SS is more work but a much more exciting and richer learning experience with classmate interaction.
SS is partnered with Wurtzweilwer, which is way more prestigious than Daemen- TTI is partnered with. What I was told is, For Social work, there is always a demand. If you do a good job, your reputation will speak for yourself. It doesn't matter where you get your degree.
About the administration, TTI was forthcoming and pleasant; they don't screen that much whom they accept. SS is very rigid and is difficult to deal with. Their communication is bad; they expect things from you but never tell you what. This is about administration only; their professors are excellent.

Aside from these 2, there is also Rabbi Bulka's program, partnered with Adelphi. I don't have much info, but they're supposed to be very good. And there is Touro, they started a frum track this year, I don't have much info on that either.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 12:09 pm
Thanks so much for responding! That was so helpful. I will look into the other options you mentioned. If anyone has any other info to share, please do so!

amother
DarkGray

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 12:12 pm
I don’t have any info about the programs but I could say that my therapist is from SS and she’s amazing. She’s so warm, sweet, and caring. I was a little nervous being that she is young but I heard they screen their applicants very well. Not sure how they do that though

Cressel

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 12:13 pm
Trio is a great frum program for MSW

https://trio.academy/graduate-programs/

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 12:21 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:
I don’t have any info about the programs but I could say that my therapist is from SS and she’s amazing. She’s so warm, sweet, and caring. I was a little nervous being that she is young but I heard they screen their applicants very well. Not sure how they do that though

Their training is amazing, their graduates are really well-trained. OP, are you asking about attending their program, or looking for a therapist from there? Being a student there could be a challenge. Not all students have problems, but they are extremely biased and can be very difficult to deal with. Read other threads about it.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 12:23 pm
Cressel wrote:

Does Trio have a program? When I spoke with them, they were like a referral agency. They just discussed all the options out there.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 12:37 pm
amother Yellow wrote:
Their training is amazing, their graduates are really well-trained. OP, are you asking about attending their program, or looking for a therapist from there? Being a student there could be a challenge. Not all students have problems, but they are extremely biased and can be very difficult to deal with. Read other threads about it.

I’m asking about being a student.

I saw those threads but the complaints were very vague- can someone be more specific how the administration is “difficult” and unreasonable?

Anyone have any more info on Touro? Their website is not that informative. Is their online program something new? Is it really “Jewish” including the students?

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 1:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m asking about being a student.

I saw those threads but the complaints were very vague- can someone be more specific how the administration is “difficult” and unreasonable?

Anyone have any more info on Touro? Their website is not that informative. Is their online program something new? Is it really “Jewish” including the students?

It's hard to say on a public forum specifics. Nobody wants to out themselves. I can just say I was in contact with all the above-mentioned programs. I was interviewed at SS and at others. The attitude SS portrays is just not. They are vague about their expectations, and when questioned about it, they'll say they don't know, are not in charge, or can't tell you more because it's confidential... They tweak the rules to their advantage. They are not here to work with you. I want a professional, ethical environment when I look for a college. I want full transparency, and I'm open to working and taking care of any problems. It's a learning experience. It's not grade school. This is what I felt, and I heard from many others IRL. Just to add, SS feels they have elite status. It's because they're partnered with a prestigious university, so they know they can do whatever they want, and people will come to them. If they lose their contract with Wurtzweiler, the way they deal with things, I doubt they would have many students...

I am not sure how long Touro has been doing online. Their regular program, the Jewishness, is basically that they're on a Jewish calendar, and they have women-only classes. But they can have secular women in their classes as well. They just started a frum track, with frum women only. I can try to get more info on that if you want.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 1:51 pm
I want to mention again OP, that academically, Sara Schenirer is known to be the best frum program out there. I don't want to discourage you from trying. I want you to be aware if anything comes up... Maybe you can apply to SS and to a few other places, so if you run into trouble, you have more options.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 3:10 pm
amother Yellow wrote:
It's hard to say on a public forum specifics. Nobody wants to out themselves. I can just say I was in contact with all the above-mentioned programs. I was interviewed at SS and at others. The attitude SS portrays is just not. They are vague about their expectations, and when questioned about it, they'll say they don't know, are not in charge, or can't tell you more because it's confidential... They tweak the rules to their advantage. They are not here to work with you. I want a professional, ethical environment when I look for a college. I want full transparency, and I'm open to working and taking care of any problems. It's a learning experience. It's not grade school. This is what I felt, and I heard from many others IRL. Just to add, SS feels they have elite status. It's because they're partnered with a prestigious university, so they know they can do whatever they want, and people will come to them. If they lose their contract with Wurtzweiler, the way they deal with things, I doubt they would have many students...

I am not sure how long Touro has been doing online. Their regular program, the Jewishness, is basically that they're on a Jewish calendar, and they have women-only classes. But they can have secular women in their classes as well. They just started a frum track, with frum women only. I can try to get more info on that if you want.

That’s such a generous offer to get more info about Touro. That would be so appreciated. Thank you, that would be amazing.
I’m overwhelmed by the choices and don’t really know I should do.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 3:12 pm
amother Yellow wrote:
I want to mention again OP, that academically, Sara Schenirer is known to be the best frum program out there. I don't want to discourage you from trying. I want you to be aware if anything comes up... Maybe you can apply to SS and to a few other places, so if you run into trouble, you have more options.

Thank you. I will probably apply there in addition to elsewhere.
I’m just trying to figure out what problems might arise in SS. I mean, do your work for your registered classes. What hidden “gotchas” can there can be?

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 3:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m just trying to figure out what problems might arise in SS. I mean, do your work for your registered classes. What hidden “gotchas” can there can be?

I was also wondering what could come up... Things happen. They are not here for their students, just for themselves and their name. It could be things that could be worked out or dealt with, but there is ZERO communication, so if you run into anything, you never know how they might deal with it and affect you further.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 4:50 pm
amother Yellow wrote:
Does Trio have a program? When I spoke with them, they were like a referral agency. They just discussed all the options out there.

Thats strange. They definitely are a program. Many people have gotten their degrees through them.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 5:03 pm
amother Sapphire wrote:
Thats strange. They definitely are a program. Many people have gotten their degrees through them.

Do you know what college they are partnered with? On their website, it also looks more like a referral service.

true me

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 10:32 pm
Cressel wrote:

I am interested in info on this program. Does anyone know which college they're partnered with?

Cheiny

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 10:39 pm
amother Yellow wrote:
TTI is mainly asynchronous, and SS is live online or in person. From my research, TTI is much easier. SS is more work but a much more exciting and richer learning experience with classmate interaction.
SS is partnered with Wurtzweilwer, which is way more prestigious than Daemen- TTI is partnered with. What I was told is, For Social work, there is always a demand. If you do a good job, your reputation will speak for yourself. It doesn't matter where you get your degree.
About the administration, TTI was forthcoming and pleasant; they don't screen that much whom they accept. SS is very rigid and is difficult to deal with. Their communication is bad; they expect things from you but never tell you what. This is about administration only; their professors are excellent.

Aside from these 2, there is also Rabbi Bulka's program, partnered with Adelphi. I don't have much info, but they're supposed to be very good. And there is Touro, they started a frum track this year, I don't have much info on that either.

What do you mean by, “They expect things from you?”

Cheiny

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 10:45 pm
amother OP wrote:

Have you noticed that those who are criticizing SS are very vague about what they mean? Comment after comment is not clear at all about what problems exist with the administration. That they’ve only heard these things from others?

I’d put more weight into what people who did their program have to say.

And yes, I’m familiar with these programs.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 10:42 am
Cheiny wrote:
Have you noticed that those who are criticizing SS are very vague about what they mean? Comment after comment is not clear at all about what problems exist with the administration. That they’ve only heard these things from others?

I’d put more weight into what people who did their program have to say.

And yes, I’m familiar with these programs.

I mentioned before the reason for the vagueness. Nobody wants to out themselves. I don't want to go into detail, as people in the administration might be on here, and I don't need them to recognize me. I had a horrible experience with them, a lack of professionalism, and a breach of ethics. When I discussed what happened with people in the field, I started hearing from others who had similar experiences.

Again, it is a good program academically. And I'm sure not everyone's experience is the same. But they make things unnecessarily complicated. They aren't here to work with their students.

OP asked how SS is. I'm just sharing my experience. If anyone has had an easy experience there, they can bring it up here to help OP in her decision.

true me

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 11:56 am
Does anyone know if Sara Schenirer's undergrad is the same administration as the Graduate program?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics