Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Do you need to remind your boss to pay you?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 7:51 pm
I'm an only employee in a small business. I hate that I need to remind my boss to pay me every single week! When times are tight, I literally need to beg to get paid and remind him multiple times.

Is this normal for small businesses?

teachkids

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 7:52 pm
No. It's his responsibility to pay you. If he's Jewish it's actually a halacha. If you want, I think you can schedule a reoccurring email on Gmail to remind him. I would do something super blunt like "here's your scheduled reminder that it's Friday and you need to write paychecks. Thanks"

amother
Alyssum

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 7:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm an only employee in a small business. I hate that I need to remind my boss to pay me every single week! When times are tight, I literally need to beg to get paid and remind him multiple times.

Is this normal for small businesses?

It isn't normal that this happens but yours isn't the only place that has this problem. I did a thread on how embarrassing it is to ask for my check.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 7:57 pm
amother Alyssum wrote:
It isn't normal that this happens but yours isn't the only place that has this problem. I did a thread on how embarrassing it is to ask for my check.

I remember that. Did things get better?

amother
Alyssum

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 7:59 pm
amother Poinsettia wrote:
I remember that. Did things get better?

Nope. I think he likes the power play, I need to ask for my check.
What can I do though? My husband keeps asking if he should get involved but that's so not professional. Maybe I'll need to get a Rav involved.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 8:02 pm
So if it would be only a reminder I would let it go. The entire attitude is like he's doing me a huge favor and each time is a big deal from where he's going to take the money etc. (And sometimes he's behind with several weeks.)

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 8:02 pm
amother Alyssum wrote:
What can I do though? My husband keeps asking if he should get involved but that's so not professional. Maybe I'll need to get a Rav involved.

Can you ask him tondo direct deposit?
Did you try doing the auto email as above poster suggested?

That's horrible your still dealing with it

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 8:03 pm
amother Alyssum wrote:

Do you get it right away without issues after asking? Is there cash flow issues in the business?

amother
Poinsettia

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 8:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
So if it would be only a reminder I would let it go. The entire attitude is like he's doing me a huge favor and each time is a big deal from where he's going to take the money etc. (And sometimes he's behind with several weeks.)

He can’t afford you. Move on.

justforfun87

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 8:05 pm
Why do you still work for him??

amother
Alyssum

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 8:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
Do you get it right away without issues after asking? Is there cash flow issues in the business?

Thanks for being so good about me stealing your thread.
There's no cash flow issues as far as I'm aware. He just never pays me on time, it's like he wants me to ask and then he'll give it to me. The first time I asked he had this smirk on his face and was all "you think I don't want to pay you?" I have no clue what that's supposed to mean.
Ive asked him about direct deposits 2 times, nothing happened.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 8:11 pm
amother Poinsettia wrote:
He can’t afford you. Move on.

Your right but what bothers me is why does he have the funds when he decides to do a new project that costs thousands? I'm just not his priority.

And I'm not just a by the way worker. I am a huge asset to the business and he would never let me go.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 8:28 pm
justforfun87 wrote:
Why do you still work for him??

I have pretty good benefits and anxiety about starting a new job. I am at the verge of leaving but wondering if this is something that happens in some workplaces.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 8:29 pm
I’d find another job with similar wages

amother
Cognac

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 8:37 pm
When I had issues somewhat similar but not as bad I looked for a new job and left.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 8:38 pm
This is not common or normal. You shouldn't have to beg for your pay. Be happy you aren't married to him he sounds like a control freak. Look for a different job and leave.

amother
Clematis

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 8:39 pm
I think it's not uncommon in tiny businesses. Wrong, but not uncommon. In general, I find that the smaller the business is, the less professional they are.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 8:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
Your right but what bothers me is why does he have the funds when he decides to do a new project that costs thousands? I'm just not his priority.

And I'm not just a by the way worker. I am a huge asset to the business and he would never let me go.

Why would he your great and you don't require timely payment. Halacha is on your side. Sounds like he needs a refresher.

1ofbillions

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 8:48 pm
That’s against Halacha and against the law.

Find a new job and leave. And tell your boss the reason for you leaving on your way out so that he hopefully won’t do this to the next naive employee he hires.

amother
IndianRed

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 9:06 pm
Do we work together lol?
I also have to beg to get paid until one point he told me don't ask for a paycheck when its ready its ready
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics