Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
S/O Bathroom Usage - So disappointed in our teachers
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 9:57 am
I’m frankly shocked to read how many teachers
still view going to the bathroom as a privilege. Makes me want to cry.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 10:00 am
Same. Thank God I never had a teacher like that. In fact I had teachers who told me to leave and take a breather for a bit when I needed it.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 10:01 am
Agreed. I'm so upset for my kids. My dd in 7th grade came home saying the teacher said no going to the bathroom...what is wrong with this teacher? Let's say a girl gets her period in middle of class what is she supposed to do? And then I feel like the crazy mom calling and complaining. Interestingly, I don't see boys teachers making these ridiculous bathroom rules.

amother
Chestnut

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 10:02 am
I was in 12th!! Grade and I needed the bathroom and my teacher wouldn't let me. I was a good kid. I went over to the teacher after class and I said 'im old enough to get married next year and your telling me if I can use the bathroom or not??'

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 10:09 am
Yes, these teachers make me so anxious. It’s so wrong of them to do.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 10:09 am
amother Chestnut wrote:
I was in 12th!! Grade and I needed the bathroom and my teacher wouldn't let me. I was a good kid. I went over to the teacher after class and I said 'im old enough to get married next year and your telling me if I can use the bathroom or not??'

Good for you for sticking up for yourself!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 10:10 am
amother DarkYellow wrote:
Agreed. I'm so upset for my kids. My dd in 7th grade came home saying the teacher said no going to the bathroom...what is wrong with this teacher? Let's say a girl gets her period in middle of class what is she supposed to do? And then I feel like the crazy mom calling and complaining. Interestingly, I don't see boys teachers making these ridiculous bathroom rules.

Do these teachers not have any rachmanus? It’s hard to understand.

amother
Quince

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 10:12 am
I always tell my kids, if the teacher says you can't go to the bathroom and you really need to go, just get up and leave the classroom anyway. I tell them that's the only time they can ignore the teacher. and I tell them that don't worry, I, your mother, will deal with the backlash. BH my kids have listened to me on a few occasions, and the teacher never said anything when they returned to class or after that. They obviously realized that if a usually well-behaved kid is doing that, then they must really need the bathroom. end of story.
I also have had a couple of kids who have had urinary issues, so when their urologist is telling they must listen to their body and go as soon as they feel the urge, then if they are told not to go by a teacher then its an impossible situation for them.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 10:13 am
Cause unfortunately some girls use their phones in the bathroom to watch videos on you tube or tik tok.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 10:14 am
I’m not a teacher, never was, and out of school for over 20 years-BH

Isn’t it part of responsibility to take care of your personal needs before class?

I get it there are emergencies.

If 20 students need the restroom during the 90 minute lesson, how successful will classroom management be? How successful will the lesson be?

Don’t forget, when you are sitting through a school orientation and need to walk out, you do so quietly, respectfully and attempt to disturb the least. How does a nine year old walk in and out of class?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 10:15 am
amother Mauve wrote:

Isn’t it part of responsibility to take care of your personal needs before class?

If 20 students need the restroom during the 90 minute lesson, how successful will classroom management be? How successful will the lesson be?

Don’t forget, when you are sitting through a school orientation and need to walk out, you do so quietly, respectfully and attempt to disturb the least. How does a nine year old walk in and out of class?

What if your a teen and your period comes on. What if your stomach is hurting? There needs to be a safety net for kids to go to the bathroom. A kid shouldn’t sit in school suffering.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 10:17 am
My kids school has a bathroom pass system, I think it's a good idea and teaches the girls responsibility.

amother
Mintcream

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 10:20 am
amother DarkYellow wrote:

My sons Rebbi had this rule and my son would cry to me everyday . My son drinks a lot and goes to the bathroom frequently, it was very hard for him .

amother
Garnet

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 10:21 am
I think the vast majority of teachers let students go when they need, even if it’s only one or two kids out at a time if not an emergency.
I’ve been a teacher at many levels, and the teachers who don’t let students go have a reputation for it, so it’s not common.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 10:22 am
amother Mintcream wrote:
My sons Rebbi had this rule and my son would cry to me everyday . My son drinks a lot and goes to the bathroom frequently, it was very hard for him .

Did you call the Rebbi?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 10:23 am
amother Garnet wrote:
I think the vast majority of teachers let students go when they need, even if it’s only one or two kids out at a time if not an emergency.
I’ve been a teacher at many levels, and the teachers who don’t let students go have a reputation for it, so it’s not common.

That’s reassuring, but on the other thread there were too many teachers talking about points systems and not allowing students to go.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 10:32 am
My first grade son had an accident in class because of this rule. I told all my kids that if your teacher/rebbi does not let you go to the bathroom, simply pick yourself up and go, and I will take care of the repercussions.

I also called my sons Rebbi to tell him that.

amother
Skyblue

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 10:33 am
I can’t speak for other peoples schools but my HS didn’t have many bathroom stalls and the lines during recess and lunch could be a full recess length long. I really needed my break between classes so if I needed to go during class, I’d go then. I was never a time-waster. I’d do my business and go right back to class.

I did have an awful teacher in 12th grade who banned going to the bathroom in her class. I needed to go and she told me that if I go, I can’t come back. I went anyway because I really needed the bathroom. The principal saw me waiting outside in the hallway and was going to send me back to class. I explained the situation. The principal pulled my teacher out of class. No idea what was said but I was sent back in.

It was mean and embarrassing to go through that.

Lovable

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 10:35 am
amother Mauve wrote:

Seriously?? How much time is there really before class?
We used to have ten to fifteen minute break
can you imagine the bathroom lines? Whoever chose to wait wasted their whole breaktime waiting
Sometimes not even getting there before the bell rang. And then an unexcused late, which was punished with detention
my blood boils, thinking back to my 15 year old high school self containg myself all day till I got home
Insane
Is the teachers lessons more important than the human body?
I DONT care how hard you worked on the lesson
If the lessons matter more than the students, that teacher Needs to be fired Punch

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 10:38 am
amother Chestnut wrote:

Good for you!!
Page 1 of 9   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children