Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
May contain. . .
1  2  3  Next

Orangehead

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 8:05 pm
For those mothers who have a kid with allergies. . .
Would you feel comfortable if my child a granola bar for snack that was made in a facility that contains an allergen that your child has?

My child was not allowed to eat his granola bar today. The package says it contains soy and gluten. It is also made in facility that contains milk, nuts, sesame. There is a child allergic to sesame so he was not allowed to eat it.

What do you think?

amother
Pansy

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 8:06 pm
It sounds like you're not familiar with allergies. For some kids this would be fine. For other kids this could be very dangerous. Does that answer your question?

amother
Brickred

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 8:08 pm
It depends on the level of allergy. If I send somewhere that's nut free or sesame free, I won't send something that's made in a factory with nuts or sesame unless I'm explicitly told it's fine. Obviously it's not allowed where you send, so why make a big deal about it?

613mitzvahgirl

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 8:12 pm
I wouldn’t. I’m very scared of allergies. I have relatives with it as well. I’m also allergic to stuff that they are. It hurts me that that this is still a question to be asked. I’m not chas vsholom knocking you, it’s just that others don’t care. And some who say it may contain and why should I. I guess I’m sensitive in this area too.

Orangehead

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 8:20 pm
amother Brickred wrote:
It depends on the level of allergy. If I send somewhere that's nut free or sesame free, I won't send something that's made in a factory with nuts or sesame unless I'm explicitly told it's fine. Obviously it's not allowed where you send, so why make a big deal about it?

Who said I made a big deal about it. I am just trying to understand

Orangehead

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 8:22 pm
613mitzvahgirl wrote:
I wouldn’t. I’m very scared of allergies. I have relatives with it as well. I’m also allergic to stuff that they are. It hurts me that that this is still a question to be asked. I’m not chas vsholom knocking you, it’s just that others don’t care. And some who say it may contain and why should I. I guess I’m sensitive in this area too.

I do not know why it hurts that I asked. How is someone supposed to know so much about allergies if bh they do not have experience with. You are welcome to offer classes to people to educate the public. Why would you think I do not care?

Last edited by Orangehead on Thu, Oct 26 2023, 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
DarkViolet

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 8:22 pm
I don't let my allergy kid eat may contains of her major allergens, but I don't worry about cross contamination of something that may be cross contaminated - I let others eat it around her

613mitzvahgirl

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 8:23 pm
I wasn’t saying you. Chas vsholom, there are many others I know who don’t care.

Orangehead

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 8:24 pm
amother DarkViolet wrote:
I don't let my allergy kid eat may contains of her major allergens, but I don't worry about cross contamination of something that may be cross contaminated - I let others eat it around her

That is what I would think. My child is sitting in his seat. It is not like he brought it in for the class. I feel like there are so many foods that are made in a facility with common allergens.

Orangehead

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 8:44 pm
I was just looking at animal crackers. It says made in a facility that contains peanuts. Everyone eats animal crackers in public. That means I can not send in animal crackers?

mommy1000

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 8:54 pm
My son has allergies but can eat anything that says "may contain traces of..". Every child and allergy is different so no one can answer that question for you

amother
Crystal

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 9:05 pm
mommy1000 wrote:
My son has allergies but can eat anything that says "may contain traces of..". Every child and allergy is different so no one can answer that question for you

Same. Maybe you can find out what level of allergen the allergy child is. For some it's dangerous, and for others it's perfectly fine.

hodeez

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 9:36 pm
My son is anaphylactic from peanuts but had no problem with may contain trace or made in the same facility

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 9:38 pm
hodeez wrote:
My son is anaphylactic from peanuts but had no problem with may contain trace or made in the same facility
No problem with him eating it or others around him eating it?

amother
Brickred

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 9:40 pm
Orangehead wrote:
I was just looking at animal crackers. It says made in a facility that contains peanuts. Everyone eats animal crackers in public. That means I can not send in animal crackers?

You need to ask the place you send you child and follow the rules.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 9:40 pm
May child has an anaphylactic allergy and has reacted (with an EpiPen needed) to "may contain...."

amother
Brickred

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 9:42 pm
Orangehead wrote:
Who said I made a big deal about it. I am just trying to understand

It sounds like you're challenging/qiestioning the allergy rules where you send your child. Not making a big deal would just be following the rules or asking the place for clarification. They have rules for a reason, to keep other children safe.

lucky14

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 9:42 pm
amother Amethyst wrote:
May child has an anaphylactic allergy and has reacted (with an EpiPen needed) to "may contain...."

When he was eating it or when someone near him was eating it?

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 9:43 pm
lucky14 wrote:
When he was eating it or when someone near him was eating it?

When he was eating it.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 9:43 pm
amother DarkViolet wrote:

Same.
My kid is allergic to sesame, nuts, dairy and a few other things. I don't give him any "may contain". But I do bring these foods in the house, with the exception of PB, and my other kids will eat it near him.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics