Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Why’s five classes considered full course load?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Banana

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 5:38 pm
As a young mother who is also an engineering student that also works part-time FOUR classes is VERY full-time. I have a ton of HW/exams/projects. Drives me nuts when people think being in school is easier than working(I worked full-time the whole summer it was way easier). Also drives me nuts when people question why it's taking me so long to complete my engineering degree (there is absolutely no way to fast track engineering)

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 5:56 pm
amother Banana wrote:
As a young mother who is also an engineering student that also works part-time FOUR classes is VERY full-time. I have a ton of HW/exams/projects. Drives me nuts when people think being in school is easier than working(I worked full-time the whole summer it was way easier). Also drives me nuts when people question why it's taking me so long to complete my engineering degree (there is absolutely no way to fast track engineering)

Good for you! I hope all your hard work pays off.

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 6:17 pm
"Research suggests that students should spend approximately 2-3 hours, per credit hour, studying in order to be successful in their courses."

My college classes were 4 credits each. I've heard of some that are 3, and labs that are 2.

So yeah 5 classes is a lot. Just because religious day school students take more classes than other people doesn't mean they have more or even as much work.

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 9:31 pm
amother OP wrote:
Are five college courses harder than a typical double load HS education our girls get?
Why do college students need to take only five classes a week (even if the classes are not taken as 3 hours in a shot, split into 2 2.5 classes)?
What do they do all day?

Absolutely. For each of the 15 hours you spend in class each week, you will be doing between 4-5 hours of outside work. At a minimum! If you have labs, a one credit class will be 3 hours of class time and umpteen hours outside of class. If you are a fine arts major, you can spend hundreds of hours each semester on your paintings (I know this first hand from my daughter.) There are group projects that are difficult to coordinate. Research papers are much more intense and time consuming. There is often a lot more time commuting to those classes. During covid, when my daughter's college had classes only online ( no commuting, and no hanging out with friends etc..) my dd took 20 credits each semester and she barely had time to eat and sleep the bare minimum of hours. In addition, if you are at a non Jewish college, you have to make up for all the classes missed for Y"T.
In a "real college program" there is absolutely no comparison between high school and college.

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 9:34 pm
amother Snapdragon wrote:
The first is Touro in Manhattan which I believe is a real college. The second is not a Jewish college at all and is known to be rigorous.

Touro in Manhattan gives umpteen credits for seminary and other classes like that.
Regarding the rigorous college you mention - I simply don't believe you. Why not tell us the name?

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 9:37 pm
amother Crystal wrote:
I majored in English. I typically took three lit classes per semester + three classes of core classes/classes for my minor. My English classes definitely took the most time; I had to read a book a week + write a short paper (3-5 pages) and one long paper (10 pages) per semester. And that was all per class, so multiply all that by 3.

There are books and there are books. And a lot of lit classes in "real colleges" don't read "books". They read scholarly papers. My dd is majoring in English in a good college and very few our her lit classes are on books. Books are a h*ll of a lot easier than what she has to read.

amother
Midnight

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 9:38 pm
amother Navyblue wrote:
Touro in Manhattan gives umpteen credits for seminary and other classes like that.
Regarding the rigorous college you mention - I simply don't believe you. Why not tell us the name?

I'm not this poster, but the fact that they give credits for seminary classes is not in any way related to how challenging their own courses are. I attended a Touro branch and as part of my bachelor's, I took pre reqs for a health science field. I entered an extremely competitive graduate school (master's) program with an excellent foundation in all subject areas. Definitely on par with my graduate classmates who attended city colleges and private colleges.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 9:40 pm
I’ll add that even the so called easy colleges still require work. if your busy with life and a job
It’s going to be a lot

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 9:43 pm
amother Midnight wrote:
I'm not this poster, but the fact that they give credits for seminary classes is not in any way related to how challenging their own courses are. I attended a Touro branch and as part of my bachelor's, I took pre reqs for a health science field. I entered an extremely competitive graduate school (master's) program with an excellent foundation in all subject areas. Definitely on par with my graduate classmates who attended city colleges and private colleges.

I didn't say it was. I was explaining how someone could get a BA at Touro in only 18 months. If you come in with 60+ credits from seminary, it is very doable.

amother
Midnight

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 9:44 pm
amother Navyblue wrote:
I didn't say it was. I was explaining how someone could get a BA at Touro in only 18 months. If you come in with 60+ credits from seminary, it is very doable.

Oh sorry, I didn't realize that what you were referring to.

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 10:16 pm
amother Midnight wrote:
Oh sorry, I didn't realize that what you were referring to.

No problem Smile
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics