Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Kollel guidance for Geirim

zyqM_23

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 8:39 am
I'm sorry if this might be the wrong forum. Long story short my husband and I are both geirim. We live in NY now and have enjoyed my husband learning full time for the past 8 months BH while I work. IYH We have a baby on the way in March 2024. My husband and I are itching to go to Eretz Israel as soon as possible. I was wondering 2 things. Does anyone know of any Israel Kollel that has a good program for a couple like us? Also, is there a process or any advice, when it comes to asking about a kollel stipend. We have no background in the etiquette when it comes to that. Thank you so much!

Edited: march 2024, sorry pregnancy brain

Last edited by zyqM_23 on Sun, Nov 05 2023, 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Dahlia

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 9:00 am
What's your hashkafa? And do you have an area you're looking to live in?

amother
Mayflower

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 9:01 am
Your date is confusing. I think you need to be accepted. You can’t just show up and ask ask for a paycheck. They decide who they are going to pay and they decide what they are paying.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 9:02 am
This is something your rav should be guiding you in. It's very important to be maintain a relationship with your rabbanim, and direct questions like these to them.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 9:04 am
Also, be aware that a kollel stipend will not be enough to support a family. It's very minimal. You would need a job that covers babysitting costs as well as contributing the majority of the household income. That's something to establish before considering a move away from your current job. Good luck!

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 10:17 am
When you interview for a kollel they will tell you what the stipend is. First find a yeshiva/ kollel that matches your hshkafa .

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 10:43 am
Why do you keep saying your baby is due in March 2020? I am so confused.

zyqM_23

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 10:45 am
We are right leaning yeshivish I would say. Our rabbi is litvish. I'm not sure what dates are confusing but if it's helpful, we moved to NY for my husband to learn April 2023. IYH we have a baby due March 2024. I think we'd like to less away from the city when it comes to Eretz Yisrael. We were looking up north. I do understand the stipend is not a lot.

Edited: march 2024! Sorry!

Last edited by zyqM_23 on Sun, Nov 05 2023, 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 10:46 am
zyqM_23 wrote:
We are right leaning yeshivish I would say. Our rabbi is litvish. I'm not sure what dates are confusing but if it's helpful, we moved to NY for my husband to learn April 2023. IYH we have a baby due March 2020. I think we'd like to less away from the city when it comes to Eretz Yisrael. We were looking up north. I do understand the stipend is not a lot.

You keep writing you are due 2020. Thats long over Smile

amother
Lightgray

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 10:46 am
zyqM_23 wrote:
We are right leaning yeshivish I would say. Our rabbi is litvish. I'm not sure what dates are confusing but if it's helpful, we moved to NY for my husband to learn April 2023. IYH we have a baby due March 2020. I think we'd like to less away from the city when it comes to Eretz Yisrael. We were looking up north. I do understand the stipend is not a lot.

March 2020 was several years ago. Please explain.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 10:48 am
I'm wondering if it's auto correct since March 2020 was covid outbreak and typed by many...

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 11:05 am
Again, this is a discussion to have with your rav.

amother
Charcoal

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 11:11 am
Step 1: find a Rav in Israel whose community you would feel comfortable in
Step 2: find somewhere to live within that community
Step 3: find a kollel

You don't ask the kollel for a stipend. They'll have an amount they give if they accept you. Acceptance tends to be quite challenging and competitive.

salt

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 1:18 am
Machon Meir in Jerusalem have conversion courses, and cater specifically for baalei teshuva and geirim.
I don't know if they have a kollel as such.
Worth looking into.

As others have said, a kollel stipend is a little extra income to help cover a few basic expenses. It's probably not instead of a job that at least one of you will have to find.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 3:16 am
As someone who made Aliyah when I got married.
Do not come unless you have a job. Start doing research now.
As well you must have an English community to join, don't expect Israelis to accept you into the community. If they do it's a bonus.
Kollel pay very little, my husband pays approx 2300nis monthly and from what I understand in my area (outskirts of Jeru) it's on the higher side. I've worked from the day after Sheva Brochas to cover rent. And when I left the toxic work place I was in things were really tight until I had no other choice to open a playgroup. Luckily I am in an area where there is a demand for it.
Of course if you have large savings or family support which I'm assuming you don't due to the circumstances life is expensive here.
There is a group I think it is called Aveira deretz yisroel that research into different areas out of Jerusalem for English speakers.

Good luck with your decisions!

Elfrida

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 7:58 am
amother Lavender wrote:

There is a group I think it is called Aveira deretz yisroel that research into different areas out of Jerusalem for English speakers.

Good luck with your decisions!

I hope it isn't called that!

אווירה דארץ ישראל, perhaps.
(Avira/air of Eretz Yisrael)

Not עבירה דארץ ישראל!
(Aveira/sin of Eretz Yisrael)

ProudMommie

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 9:09 am
Please pm me OP. I am in Ramat Bet Shemesh and will try to give you the contacts you need. Kol Hakovod for wanting to come to EY. Everything will work out if u really really want ..because Hashem will help. I will tell u more when we speak but basically no one can make this decision for you or take achrayut...You have to yearn for it and understand it's an Amazing zchut to be in the holy land!! It's not easy but what is?? Is it easy to be in NY now? Despite everything that is happening, Eretz Hakodesh is the safest place to be! We r home here with HKBH and we feel His loving embrace...Don't delay OP...

Iymnok

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 10:11 am
I know Geirim in israel. What community are you interested in being part of?
Do you have other income possibilities?
Why is your Geirus a factor?
Do you need a more BT type place?

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 1:09 pm
Contact nefesh bnefesh regarding the financial aspects of moving.
If you make aliya there are grants etc
They can also answer your questions about jobs and degree transfers.
Don’t go anywhere without a job secured for you.
Make sure to find an American community there as well, like Ramat Bet Shemesh

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 2:02 pm
amother Apple wrote:
Contact nefesh bnefesh regarding the financial aspects of moving.
If you make aliya there are grants etc
They can also answer your questions about jobs and degree transfers.
Don’t go anywhere without a job secured for you.
Make sure to find an American community there as well, like Ramat Bet Shemesh

This is very hard to do, unless ypu come with a job from where you came from.
As Ive literally been told, most companies dont want to hire people until they are actually here. Which is very fair.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions