Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Mesivta and gifted son

mha3484

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 12:46 pm
If you have a boy that was significantly ahead of his class and spent most of p1a-8th very bored did you find that mesivta was a better experience or did the boredom follow?

amother
Broom

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 12:54 pm
Absolutely

mha3484

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 12:57 pm
My son is only in 7th but I want some hope that he can have a better experience in the next chapter. Where did you send your son that really pushed him? I dont want to burn him out but I want him to learn on his level and feel good.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 1:00 pm
So much better, as long as it's the right mesivta.
My son was not challenged nearly enough in elementary school. He has ADHD and is very bright but was not motivated enough to be an active participant in most grades, especially in secular studies. We live in Lakewood where the secular studies are extremely subpar, and basically nonexistent in high school, so we made the decision to send him to an out-of-town mesivta with an excellent program for both kodesh and chol studies, and he is absolutely thriving there a few years in BH BH. It was a long road!

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 1:36 pm
mha3484 wrote:
My son is only in 7th but I want some hope that he can have a better experience in the next chapter. Where did you send your son that really pushed him? I dont want to burn him out but I want him to learn on his level and feel good.

If I recall, you live in Chicago. Look into Yeshiva Eitz Chaim there (5 years old). Should be what you're looking for.

mha3484

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 1:41 pm
Thanks! After last year where there were a lot of boys left without a place locally I want to know all the options. But all 3 local options are definitely on the table. There aren't a lot of places I can ask these questions to so thank you all! Most people I know are looking for the opposite type of yeshiva.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 5:03 pm
My oot gifted nephews went to Rav Shlangers in Baltimore. It has a dorm.

One spent 8th grade learning in a shul all day because he was so done w elementary. They did fabulous in mesivta.

I assume you would have the same experience in any similar place.

Yeshivish Mesivtas are a different world than elementary. You can really perform on your level if you have the right crowd.You want to send to ones with a good concentration of mitzuyanim that he can be chavrusas with.
My sons arent genuises, but very bright, and they enjoyed mesivta much more than elementary. Im in Lakewood and there are several places here but I dont think they have a dorm.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 6:56 pm
It depends. My son is in his first year of mesivta. While he is definitely being challenged more overall, there is still a pretty slow pace in shiur, and boys asking somewhat repetitive questions, both of which he doesn't have much patience for. I think it's just par for the course anywhere though. BH he's happy for the most part.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 7:32 pm
Keep in mind, a lot of the top notch yeshivas have subpar limudei chol. But there are a few that excel in both.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 8:24 pm
It was still a challenge. Lots of boredom. Life brightened in beis medrash and self study college level programs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)