Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How to clean garbage can

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 6:35 pm
see title

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 6:43 pm
We pour some ajax in, then some water from the sink. Let the soapy water sit for a while. Pour it out. Thats it.

Rappel

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 6:45 pm
Bleach and done, like shabbatiscoming

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 6:49 pm
can I just put bleach and hot water and let sit without using manpower to take away the dried dirt/mold?

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 7:04 pm
I put the can in to the bathtub, spray with bleach & let it sit for a while. Then hose it down with hot water.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 7:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
can I just put bleach and hot water and let sit without using manpower to take away the dried dirt/mold?

If it doesn't dissolve, you'll need to scrub it off.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 7:08 pm
thanks. trying now with soft scrub oxi- is it gonna work, cuz dont have bleach now...

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 8:33 pm
Except in the case of certain materials that can be damaged by water (like paper, wood, some paints and metals that rust), soaking in water with or without soap to loosen dried-on, ah...residue...is always a work-smarter-not-harder proposition. Not everything will float away, but whatever doesn't do so will at least be softened to the point that it can be dislodged with minimal effort with a small brush or nylon scrubbie. I wouldn't worry about stains on the inside of a trash can, but if you're finicky you can try scouring powder or bleach after you've removed all solid residue. Rinse well, air dry in the sun if you can, or dry off with an old shmatte towel, sprinkle some baking soda for odor control in the bottom, insert a new liner and you're good to go. I use two liners just in case one springs a leak, and change the outer one every so often.

If mold is actually growing on your trash can, you may not be able to remove the stains entirely because mold grows INTO the material and doesn't just sit on the surface. OTOH, it's not a wedding dress or fine china; it's a trash can. People don't need to be able to eat out of it. It just shouldn't look so grungy that it makes people question the safety of the food on the table.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 9:25 pm
for future- once heard a great idea-
Line the can with a paper bag to catch drips. I use my Trader Joe’s bags or when we e extra chucks (bed underpads/liners)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry