Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Cleaning Toys

amother

Post Tue, Dec 06 2005, 12:13 pm
How do you clean plastic toys such as "kitchen" toys, manipulatives, legos... I've heard of putting them in a lingerie bag and washing them in the dishwasher. Has anyone ever tried throwing them all loose into a washing machine? Would that work?

nicole81

Post Tue, Dec 06 2005, 12:20 pm
pampers makes a nontoxic spray to clean children's toys with. I routinely scrub down dd's toys with it.

red sea

Post Tue, Dec 06 2005, 12:26 pm
I've thrown lego in the washing machine with some towels. They come out nice and clean. And from experience with little boys pockets so do coins, dollar bills, knex, mancala peices, empty snack bags, the only thing that didn't wash so well was that blue tacky stuff that teachers use in school ( boy was that a mess!)

proudmama

Post Tue, Dec 06 2005, 3:00 pm
red sea, do you know if you can wash just the toys alone? do you have to put it in with something else?

SMG

Post Tue, Dec 06 2005, 3:06 pm
I've put plastic toys in the dishwasher many, many times. Just make sure you don't have a lot of really yucky food dishes or something with tomato based sauce in there at the same time. That can stain your toys. Otherwise, the dishwasher is fast, easy and thorough.

elisecohen

Post Tue, Dec 06 2005, 3:09 pm
I've washed lego and other hard plastic in the washing machine many times (especially for Pesach), but always with some laundry or stuffed animals or something like that. Can't you just throw it all in with your next laundry load?

red sea

Post Tue, Dec 06 2005, 3:29 pm
I always do it with towels or undershirts to make it less noisy - otherwise I have no idea.

chen

Post Thu, Dec 08 2005, 11:14 am
proudmama wrote:
red sea, do you know if you can wash just the toys alone? do you have to put it in with something else?

I wouldn't try that unless they were all soft toys like fabric animals. All that hard plastic crashing around inside the basket can chip the enamel, to say nothing of making an awful racket. Adding a few towels provides some cushioning and sound deadening.

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Sun, Dec 18 2005, 9:57 pm
You know those mesh potato sacks that 5 and 10 pounds of potatoes are sold in? They're great for tossing Lego bricks, plastic grocery food, and play dishes, etc. into for cleaning in an automatic dishwasher! I personally thread a long piece of twine through the top creating a drawstring, then knot it closed...but a twisty-tie might work, as well! Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry