Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Almost two yr old won’t call me ‘mummy’
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 3:00 pm
He says ‘tatty’ about a million times a day.
He is progressing nicely with his vocabulary. He says plenty basic words like car, toys, more, Bamba, bye bye…. However he never addresses me as ‘mummy’ . We got him to say mama a few times by prompting him and even so there are times when he will refuse to say it even when prompted.
I know he loves me because he randomly comes up to kiss me when I play with him and loves to be stroked and strokes be back.
He is not the oldest and definitely hears me being called mummy. So why won’t he say it? wondering

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 3:01 pm
It might be a game to him.

Anyone remember a show Dinosaurs, where they had mommy and not the mommy?

Little bird

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 3:12 pm
A game that’s been going on since he started talking?

amother
Hunter

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 3:14 pm
At his age he doesn’t yet have a clear sense of what differentiates you from him. You’re part of him like his feet, his hands, and the blankie he carries around everywhere. If he wants a drink he has to say cup because his cup tends to disappear or people put it out of reach. If he wants a cookie he needs to say cookie because cookies are sometimes available but sometimes not. You’re his constant. He knows you’re always there for him.

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 3:14 pm
My kid didn't say it until she was 2 or so either. I tried to let her hear it more but I did not prompt her. I believe in waiting until kids are ready instead of trying to get them to do things.

tillyost

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 3:15 pm
So funny. My 2 year old does the same. But he doesn’t talk at all. He says taty for months and just started this week saying mama…
Don’t worry soon he’ll say mommy so often that you’ll want him to be quiet already Very Happy

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 3:17 pm
My baby thought it was hysterical to call me daddy.
Me: say mama
Baby: Dada
Me: say mama
Baby: Dada
Me: say Dada
Baby: (smiled and remained silent)

Eventually she did!

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 3:19 pm
I was Daddy for a while too. Internally I was like "Come on" but we just took her meaning as it was and went on modeling. She didn't think it was that funny.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 3:19 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
My kid didn't say it until she was 2 or so either. I tried to let her hear it more but I did not prompt her. I believe in waiting until kids are ready instead of trying to get them to do things.

It’s interesting to hear someone that had the same thing, haven’t found anyone till now!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 3:22 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
I was Daddy for a while too. Internally I was like "Come on" but we just took her meaning as it was and went on modeling. She didn't think it was that funny.

When I said he says ‘tatty’ I meant he addresses my Dh (happily and loudly) He doesn’t use ANY word to address me

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 3:23 pm
amother OP wrote:
When I said he says ‘tatty’ I meant he addresses my Dh (happily and loudly) He doesn’t use ANY word to address me

Yeah we had that until it was Daddy...and sometimes Bubby which is closer because /b/ is a bilabial sound...and then finally Mommy.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 3:47 pm
My first didn’t say mommy for the longest time. Daddy, sure, but no mommy. I always just figured she had no reason because I was always around.

Lemonade 2323

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 3:56 pm
The 'M' sound is hard for many babies.
The D & B are harder to fomulate. I've had this with a couple of my kids.

They say Daddy & Bottle way before Mommy.
I've heard this from other mothers as well.

Lemonade 2323

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 4:00 pm
A friend once told me this.
1st child says Tatty or mommy as his first word.
2nd uses survival words first, me, more & mine.
3rd child, sour stick!

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 4:41 pm
Sometimes they just don’t like saying certain words…my 20 month old says plenty of words, but won’t say his older sister’s name, who is probably his favorite person in the world. He says everyone else, Mommy, Tatty, Bubby, Zaidy, and a lot of other people he sees a lot less often. It’s not a difficult name, he just doesn’t want to.

Shoshana Rose

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 4:47 pm
Lemonade 2323 wrote:
A friend once told me this.
1st child says Tatty or mommy as his first word.
2nd uses survival words first, me, more & mine.
3rd child, sour stick!
LOL LOL LOL

amother
Cyclamen

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 7:17 pm
My grandson, who I think has a good sense of humor, called the garbage can "Dada" today. He rarely if ever calls my dd "Mommy" but clearly knows the terms for each of his parents because he will turn to them when mentioned. Give your ds a chance and I think he'll figure it out. He may also just bypass that and call you by your first name!

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 7:24 pm
He’s doing it on purpose. He knows how desperate you are so he’s showing you his autonomy . Babies are a lot smarter then many people realize .

My son at one years old said mama, tata, baba (my mom) then at 16 months he decided we’re all mama .

My mom: say baba

My son: mama

My husband: say Tata

My son: mama

Over and over again with a huge smirk on his face . When they stopped giving it attention after a month or so he switched back.

amother
Nemesia

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 7:16 am
It's normal for babies to say other abmes before mama, because they see you as an extension of themselves.
Your home.
Your not 'other'..

I think the reasoning is adorable and I was happy to be his 'home' and that he didn't say my name.

Jalapeño

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 8:11 am
I had this with my child also when she was around 18m.
she was saying Abba and thought it was hilarious to never say Ima. she called me all sorts of names for close to 7 months before she tired of the joke.
bH no problems and she calls for ima allll the time.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics