Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
When someone mentions your weight loss
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 9:55 pm
I’ve been taking weight loss pills (bec I’m a baby and don’t do shots;) and after 5 months people are starting to notice. I do not feel like sharing with the world that I’m taking medication.

How do I respond when someone says oh you lost weight, what are you doing?

Einikel

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 9:56 pm
Thanks, I'm watching ☺️

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 9:59 pm
Someone asked me straight out are you doing the shots… thought it was the rudest thing ever.
Seems like if anyone loses weight now everyone assumes that’s what they’re doing - or maybe I’m paranoid?

amother
Lightblue

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 10:00 pm
Why is it a secret?
Wouldn't you want others to be able to get help just like you?

amother
Black

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 10:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
Someone asked me straight out are you doing the shots… thought it was the rudest thing ever.
Seems like if anyone loses weight now everyone assumes that’s what they’re doing - or maybe I’m paranoid?

Most people who lose lots of weight are taking something or doing the shots...and didn't you say you are? But you don't have to share just say id rather not discuss it.

fig

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 10:27 pm
What pill? Please do share?

amother
Lily

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 10:31 pm
You seem maybe a bit insecure that you’ve succumb to taking pills. Just own up to it. It’s not rude to ask or to assume when a lot of people these days are taking shots.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 10:49 pm
fig wrote:
What pill? Please do share?

The shot comes in pill form. It’s called Rybelsus

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 10:50 pm
amother Lightblue wrote:
Why is it a secret?
Wouldn't you want others to be able to get help just like you?

Everyone knows the shots exist. I don’t feel comfortable sharing that I’m taking them, is that odd?

Rappel

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 10:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
Everyone knows the shots exist. I don’t feel comfortable sharing that I’m taking them, is that odd?

It's not odd.

If you feel that your weight loss is as personal as the brands you shop, then you just say "thank you" and move on.

If someone asks more personal questions, then you can turn to them and ask "is there a practical reason you need to know? Can I help you in any way?" And see how they answer. If they really need this information, then you can give it.

But if you lie and say "oh, I've been eating healthy," then realize that most people will spot you in the lie

amother
Tulip

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 10:57 pm
You don’t owe anyone an explanation.

Have a response ready in your head so you don’t get flustered.

You can always say that you’re very careful with what you eat. That’s all. Or come up with something else you feel most comfortable saying.

Please don’t feel bad about not wanting to share. I can totally understand why you wouldn’t want to share.

I did keto/ IF for a while and the comments and hate I got from people was so overwhelming. I learned not to share. It’s not worth it. And quite frankly it’s no one’s business

amother
Cadetblue

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 11:04 pm
Someone I know lost about 100 lbs in a year and when anyone asked her she said she just did a diet. Meanwhile her husband was telling everyone in shul that she did the band.

Rappel

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 11:06 pm
amother Tulip wrote:

You can always say that you’re very careful with what you eat. That’s all.

According to halacha, if someone asks for personal information that is none of their business, then you are allowed to lie.

However, this one is a lie that every celebrity uses, and everyone knows its a lie. If you're going to go that route, you might as well just tell the other person "get lost" , and be done with it.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 11:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’ve been taking weight loss pills (bec I’m a baby and don’t do shots;) and after 5 months people are starting to notice. I do not feel like sharing with the world that I’m taking medication.

How do I respond when someone says oh you lost weight, what are you doing?

" I'm praying I dont find it again!!"

Last edited by B'Syata D'Shmya on Mon, Dec 04 2023, 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lightblue

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 11:12 pm
B'Syata D'Shmya wrote:
Praying I dont find it again!!

???

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 11:25 pm
amother Lightblue wrote:
???

I was responding to her question : "How do I respond when someone says oh you lost weight, what are you doing?"

Answering with humor... and honesty.
Just because someone asks, doesnt mean you have to spill your secret weapon....besides whats right for one is not for another. Her using medication is a medical issue which she has a right to keep to herself.
Besides a wrong answer can trigger someone.

Losing weight is an issue of burning more calories than you take in. How you do it should hopefully be safe and personal.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 11:28 pm
It's soo rude to bring up someone's weight!!

amother
Oatmeal

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 11:35 pm
Please don't lie to someone struggling with their weight.
I have dieted for years and was really struggling, I had a close friend who also struggled for years, we were on the same diet at one point losing bits here and there. All of a sudden she started losing a lot and pretty fast, when I asked her what motivates her and wow she must be doing so well, she said ya I just stay focused on the diet and don't cheat.
Some time later it slipped that she had the surgery. Meanwhile I was hating on myself for months and months, why can't I have willpower like her, why am I only losing slowly and stalling. I was asking her for tips and she gave me tips for that diet.
Our friendship has never fully recovered.
If you are blessed to take shortcuts, own up to it.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 12:52 am
For years being fat has been associated with laziness, gluttony, weakness.

Those who are skinny, for whatever reason, are more assured, accomplished, respected, successful.

It makes sense then that losing weight is a matter of pride, an accomplishment, and if you put in the effort you deserve to be complimented or rewarded.

If it wasn't about you, like if you had a surgery or took medication or shots, you're a cheater, and don't deserve any credit. See, you are lazy like we said you were when you were fat. You're the same weak glutton, just now you take a pill to hide it.

(None of this is true. Obesity is generally a medical condition, because bodies usually like to maintain weight. Losing weight by taking a pill is like lowering cholesterol by taking a pill. There should be no shame. But, in our prejudiced world, there is shame. Sorry OP, I know it's not about whether or not you're using a pill or shot, but about what that supposedly says about you. If there's a nice way to say MYOB then use that. I don't think lying is the way to go though.)

amother
Canary

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 2:45 am
Rappel wrote:
According to halacha, if someone asks for personal information that is none of their business, then you are allowed to lie.

However, this one is a lie that every celebrity uses, and everyone knows its a lie. If you're going to go that route, you might as well just tell the other person "get lost" , and be done with it.

I lost a lot of weight by watching what I eat. Full truths, no medication or surgery. Hope nobody thinks I'm lying
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise