Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Since when is Rice Dream OUD???

Cheiny

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 8:07 am
I don’t understand. This was always pareve. Now suddenly it’s got an OUD, not even DE.

amother
Almond

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 8:15 am
I have seen this for a while every store is different but it is definitely only dairy equipment

singleagain

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 8:15 am
My understanding is that the OU did away with the DE a little while ago and now everything is OUD if you want to know if something is actually dairy or just DE then you should need to call them.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 8:18 am
singleagain wrote:
My understanding is that the OU did away with the DE a little while ago and now everything is OUD if you want to know if something is actually dairy or just DE then you should need to call them.

I really don’t understand why they’re wasting their own time as well as everyone else’s and causing confusion like this. What’s there to gain?

singleagain

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 8:19 am
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
I really don’t understand why they’re wasting their own time as well as everyone else’s and causing confusion like this. What’s there to gain?

🤷‍♂️

hodeez

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 8:20 am
Yes check the ingredients there's no milk there

kenz

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 9:07 am
amother DarkKhaki wrote:

There has been no OUDE for many years due to allergy concerns. People were relying on the fact that there was no dairy in a product based on the DE and there were some bad outcomes because sometimes there is just a negligible trace of something on equipment that wouldn’t make a difference to kashrus but would adversely affect someone with a real allergy. Many products have allergy notifications under the ingredients where you can see if a product actually contains dairy or not. For many people that’s enough when it’s a product that’s obviously pareve, like vegan items.

Cheiny

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 9:15 am
amother Almond wrote:
I have seen this for a while every store is different but it is definitely only dairy equipment

That’s what I thought, but then why doesn’t it say DE?

And why’d this happen all of a sudden? They were always pareve.

Cheiny

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 9:15 am
singleagain wrote:

Yes I intended to do that today.

Cheiny

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 9:16 am
hodeez wrote:
Yes check the ingredients there's no milk there

I know but just wondering why the sudden change if no ingredients changed…

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 9:19 am
OU's product search now allows you to check if it's only dairy equipment
https://oukosher.org/product-s.....false

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 10:15 am
Looks like most are pareve but 2 varieties that are from the fridge section are milchig.

Cheiny

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 10:20 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Looks like most are pareve but 2 varieties that are from the fridge section are milchig.

How did you find it? Nothing came up when I did the search… it says the refrigerated is DAIRY? Or just dairy equipment? Because I just called the OU and he said there are 2 different productions, 1 is the shelf stable which is still pareve and the refrigerated is DE, on dairy equipment but not dairy. Some of the stores don’t seem to be carrying the shelf stable one any more.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 11:42 am
Says just dairy on the product search...
I didn't use any filters (the link I shared I had clicked dairy equipment and nothing showed up) so I could see all the options. Maybe call up OU again and ask if it's DE, why doesn't it say it on the search so they can change it...

amother
Sunflower

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 11:46 am
Not a new thing

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....02196

amother
Eggplant

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 12:50 pm
I think only the shelf stable one has been pareve for at least a decade.

amother
Eggplant

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 12:53 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Says just dairy on the product search...
I didn't use any filters (the link I shared I had clicked dairy equipment and nothing showed up) so I could see all the options. Maybe call up OU again and ask if it's DE, why doesn't it say it on the search so they can change it...

The dairy equipment filter is new and doesn't include all of the items that are currently dairy equipment.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 2:02 pm
Right, so mentioning it might get it prioritized and fixed.

amother
Burntblack

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 2:09 pm
kenz wrote:
There has been no OUDE for many years due to allergy concerns. People were relying on the fact that there was no dairy in a product based on the DE and there were some bad outcomes because sometimes there is just a negligible trace of something on equipment that wouldn’t make a difference to kashrus but would adversely affect someone with a real allergy. Many products have allergy notifications under the ingredients where you can see if a product actually contains dairy or not. For many people that’s enough when it’s a product that’s obviously pareve, like vegan items.

Very interesting, thank you for sharing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics