Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Rice Dream with OU-D??

Kumphort

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 5:02 pm
my DH just picked me up a container of Rice dream rice milk, which I have been using for a while now, I usually buy the small containers which are vacuum packed on the shelf, he got me a half gallon container from the fridge section, I looks like a carton of milk or OJ with a screw top, when I read the ingredients there doesnt seem to be anything dairy in it.

here is a link to the product pge
http://www.tastethedream.com/p.....3.php

Why would it have an OU-D, can it be that this is a different run and made on dairy equipement? and OU just puts an OU-D? that makes it very annoying when trying to avoid dairy..

On a similar note, for those of you that maintain a dairy free house, or use non dairy "milk" do you still try and limit the milk from meat meals, do you teach your kids that their milk is not really milchigs, do they get confused in school, Since stopping dairy myself, I still have issues drinking pareve milk with meat, it just doesnt feel right

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 5:09 pm
Oh,no ...........

Twizzlers

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 7:36 pm
OU has stopped using the DE designation (dairy equipment). hence, if the product was produced on dairy equipment, even if there is no dairy in it, they will write a D on it. very annoying for people with allergies and kashrus concerns.

Kumphort

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 7:42 pm
so how are you supposed to really know, especially when you sometimes get ambiguous ingredients, such as natural and artificial flavoring etc,

manhattanmom

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 7:42 pm
Twizzlers wrote:
OU has stopped using the DE designation (dairy equipment). hence, if the product was produced on dairy equipment, even if there is no dairy in it, they will write a D on it. very annoying for people with allergies and kashrus concerns.

Yup.
I've contacted the OU so many times asking about specific products marked OU-D just to make sure--I did mention I'm asking more for allergy reasons.

Fabulous

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 7:43 pm
Kumphort wrote:
so how are you supposed to really know, especially when you sometimes get ambiguous ingredients, such as natural and artificial flavoring etc,

The best way to know is contact the OU, they will tell you.

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 8:16 pm
W3e've asked them. The half gallons are produced on dairy equipment. I avoid them and use the smaller ones just in case, though.

myfriends715

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 8:40 pm
Fabulous wrote:
Kumphort wrote:

The best way to know is contact the OU, they will tell you.

another way to know.. due to the fda laws for ppl w allergies they must list if there is milk on the packaging (or can be heavily sued) so look @ the back where the ingredients are if it doesnt say milk or a byproduct (which would b bolded) or doesnt say contains milk its dairy equiptment (told to me by Rabbi Blech one of the main kasharus experts)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen