Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Anyone gives Chomesh and saw Bracha?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 1:11 am
Read about this in the Ami Living.
I am tempted to do this but its soooo hard. Give away more than we're required to...

amother
Eggshell

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 1:21 am
I know this isn’t your question, but can you afford to that? We are comfortable, but we give 10% because we have our kids quite a bit as well. I wouldn’t say we are super wealthy. But we definitely saw. Bracha after giving the full 10%. We even opened a separate bank account so we could transfer the money immediately into that account. It’s very easy to forget about it or spend it so that definitely brought us blessing. I know it’s not the 20% but we took our. Masser much more seriously.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 1:23 am
amother Eggshell wrote:
I know this isn’t your question, but can you afford to that? We are comfortable, but we give 10% because we have our kids quite a bit as well. I wouldn’t say we are super wealthy. But we definitely saw. Bracha after giving the full 10%. We even opened a separate bank account so we could transfer the money immediately into that account. It’s very easy to forget about it or spend it so that definitely brought us blessing. I know it’s not the 20% but we took our. Masser much more seriously.

Would be very hard for us.
I don't know if you read the story but the protagonist claimed they were deeply in debt. And giving chomesh pulled them out of it.

Another question, can tuition be paid with maaser?

amother
Tulip

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 1:59 am
I also read the article and was inspired. I took it upon myself to give chomesh just for this month. The next day, dh was offered a great paying job we were desperately in need of. Thank you Hashem!!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 2:02 am
amother Tulip wrote:
I also read the article and was inspired. I took it upon myself to give chomesh just for this month. The next day, dh was offered a great paying job we were desperately in need of. Thank you Hashem!!

That's so smart to take it on slowly or for a time period.
It's a big commitment.
Are you planning on continuing?

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 2:05 am
We do and yes we definitely see the bracha b"h. It's not my bread and butter but could definitely use the money to spend on some extras however in my current financial situation wouldn't consider not giving it.

amother
Tulip

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 2:06 am
amother OP wrote:
That's so smart to take it on slowly or for a time period.
It's a big commitment.
Are you planning on continuing?

That's a good question. For now I think I'll take it month by month. Hopefully Hashrm will give us so much money to always be able to give much much more!!!!!

amother
DarkOrange

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 2:39 am
amother Tulip wrote:

Did he already interview for the job or it came out of the blue?

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 3:36 am
I have thought about it, but we're just making it with giving maaser. In kollel, no support or stipend, DH works a few hours here and there but I am the main breadwinner.

Honestly, I don't see a way bederech hateva that we can earn more - my salary is maxed out for my job and I don't want a different job, DH works as much as he wants to for the hourly rate he wants to, we don't have other places for money to come from. So if we gave chomesh, I don't understand how it would work out for us... I'd love to hear more inspirational stories...

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 3:36 am
We give chomesh, because it's the right thing to do..

No surprising yeshuot in the money department, but hey - maybe it could be worse.

amother
Currant

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 3:53 am
The Torah says one gets rich when giving 10%

To understand how it works see Tzedak To Riches
https://godtorahisrael.com/tzedaka-to-riches/

amother
Vanilla

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 3:57 am
I gave a chomesh in my single years - I figured I was spending so much money at least let me know that I will gain from some of it (I did save plenty as well). A few months after taking it on I got a raise, nothing significant but it was nice. I also lost on investments so no, I didn't see bracha in this world. My husband doesn't want me to continue so I stopped, haven't even given maaser since we're married as he finds it too hard and financially we're doing pretty similar - I work less hours now but we are getting some support.
I was inspired by my friend who did it, she actaully paid it all upfront based on the salary she was getting then and was soon after offered a much better paying job. I was seeing so little money being saved as I was spending a lot at the time so it wasn't so hard for me and I knew its for long term gain and hopefully I'll get to benefit in this world too.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 8:41 am
We never made an outright decision, but we've been giving that for years and although I haven't seen any specific 'aha story', bh our income keeps climbing to the point where it's almost 7 figures.

amother
Tulip

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 6:22 pm
amother DarkOrange wrote:
Did he already interview for the job or it came out of the blue?

It kind of came out of the blue. He is in the education field and was waiting for a few cases to come through the past few weeks. Then suddenly this popped up and he interviewed and was accepted within 1 day which was so unusual! These things usually take weeks.
Also, a p3 case I was waiting for was just approved and I got the go ahead to start providing services today. I'm amazed!!

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 6:28 pm
amother Vanilla wrote:
I gave a chomesh in my single years - I figured I was spending so much money at least let me know that I will gain from some of it (I did save plenty as well). A few months after taking it on I got a raise, nothing significant but it was nice. I also lost on investments so no, I didn't see bracha in this world. My husband doesn't want me to continue so I stopped, haven't even given maaser since we're married as he finds it too hard and financially we're doing pretty similar - I work less hours now but we are getting some support.
I was inspired by my friend who did it, she actaully paid it all upfront based on the salary she was getting then and was soon after offered a much better paying job. I was seeing so little money being saved as I was spending a lot at the time so it wasn't so hard for me and I knew its for long term gain and hopefully I'll get to benefit in this world too.

One may not pay maaser in advance.
Maaser is supposed to be SEPARATED from your earnings. If you haven’t yet earned, you can’t separate.

You can give extra tzedaka though.
Any money you give BEFORE earnings would be tzedaka, not maaser/Chomesh.

happy7

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 6:30 pm
There are two mitzvos in the Torah.
One is tzedaka and one is maaser.
Yidden are obligated to give tzedaka BEYOND maaser.
So even people who don’t have the chiyuv of maaser (bec they don’t earn enough) still have the obligation of tzedaka.
While maaser/Chumrah have a limit, there is actually no limit on tzedaka.

amother
Sunflower

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 6:47 pm
I'm not telling you if you should or shouldn't give chomesh, but please don't make any life decisions based on what you read in Ami Living.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 6:51 pm
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
We give chomesh, because it's the right thing to do..

No surprising yeshuot in the money department, but hey - maybe it could be worse.

Same here. I used to give maaser and then when I got married my husband insisted on chomesh. I work so I bring in a salary, but he's the one responsible for any shortcoming at the end of the month.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 7:18 pm
Is chomesh 20%?
We arent even giving maaser now since we are so in debt and owe money to a few people. Slowly making our way out of it. Rav told us to "give" maaser to the relative we owe so I do that but we are always in the negative at the end of the month.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 7:49 pm
amother Tiffanyblue wrote:
One may not pay maaser in advance.
Maaser is supposed to be SEPARATED from your earnings. If you haven’t yet earned, you can’t separate.

You can give extra tzedaka though.
Any money you give BEFORE earnings would be tzedaka, not maaser/Chomesh.

Are you sure about this?
https://asktherav.com/2208-can.....usly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics