Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
No socks? Is it a new trend
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 8:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
Chumros could sometimes come from o.c.d. wearing socks in house is not a chumra by alot of people its a norm , if not pantyhose then kneesocks or bobby socks

Being the norm in some places doesn’t mean it’s not a chumra.

amother
Chicory

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 8:17 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
Rav Falk is a rav for Gateshead. There is no reason you need ti follow him if you dont live there.

There are always sensitivities around refinement and different communities have different levels of these sensitivities and what they're sensitive to.

Rabbi Falk's halochos are absolutly not just for Gateshead!

Aside from all the non gatesheaders who follow him, what about all the sem girls from worldover who learned under him and set up their own homes with his teachings?

amother
Daphne

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 8:18 pm
amother OP wrote:
Chumros could sometimes come from o.c.d. wearing socks in house is not a chumra by alot of people its a norm , if not pantyhose then kneesocks or bobby socks

Yea, lots of people keep chumras and it can even be that most people keep certain chumras. That still doesn't turn it into halacha.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 8:24 pm
amother Snapdragon wrote:
Huh? This is not new at all

I'm regular in town yeshivish and I've been wearing long skirts and shorts socks since forever. And if I'm just running out to wait at a bus stop or a corner grocery I might wear crocs without socks

The yeshivish pp I know wouldn't skip socks....

amother
Snapdragon

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 8:38 pm
amother OP wrote:

You are mixing up two things:

1. Norms
2. Halacha/chumrah

The ban on driving is a norm. Not halacha or chumrah.

You can consider wearing socks a norm. But it is not halacha or chumrah.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 8:42 pm
amother Chicory wrote:

Aside from all the non gatesheaders who follow him, what about all the sem girls from worldover who learned under him and set up their own homes with his teachings?

Anyone who learned under him in Gateshead falls under the category of from Gateshead.
His book is not meant for everyone. It is meant for people who live a certain way, follow a certain mehalach.

mango18

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 9:06 pm
Chumros come from having an extra sensitivity to things the fact that I go around my house with socks on is not a chumra ! Sorry most people I know do!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 9:07 pm
I agree

amother
Daphne

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 9:11 pm
Ma11 wrote:
Chumros come from having an extra sensitivity to things the fact that I go around my house with socks on is not a chumra ! Sorry most people I know do!

Are you op or quoting op? Bc that was already said word for word, same punctuation an everything! Scratching Head

amother
Calendula

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 9:12 pm
Op, it is against the rules of this site to post anonymously as well as under your screen name in a thread in order to agree with yourself.

amother
Sand

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 9:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
I agree

Are you agreeing with yourself? Can't Believe It

amother
Daphne

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 9:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
I agree

Of course you agree, those were your words.

amother
Snow

I was at an outdoor religious observance the other day and saw a young male with no socks. I thought that was odd, given that it was outdoors in December in a northern latitude and the temperature was plummeting by the minute. I also thought it was an overly casual look for the occasion, but who knows, maybe this young man didn't possess any dressier clothing, had come in from OOT and had forgotten to pack clean socks, came in from a warmer climate and didn't realize how cold it gets here in winter, was trying to look "cool" to annoy his mother. Whatever.

I just don't understand not wearing socks because it seems rather uncomfortable. isn't it hard to put on shoes without socks? Don't the shoes stick to the skin of the feet? Don't the feet get sweaty and damp? It's not like wearing sandals, after all.

Chayalle

amother Chicory wrote:

I once asked R' Shmuel Kaminetsky something about R' Falk's Sefer on tznius and he told me we don't necessarily pasken the same as he does in the US.

amother
Calendula

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 9:15 pm
amother Snow wrote:
I was at an outdoor religious observance the other day and saw a young male with no socks. I thought that was odd, given that it was outdoors in December in a northern latitude and the temperature was plummeting by the minute. I also thought it was an overly casual look for the occasion, but who knows, maybe this young man didn't possess any dressier clothing, had come in from OOT and had forgotten to pack clean socks, came in from a warmer climate and didn't realize how cold it gets here in winter, was trying to look "cool" to annoy his mother. Whatever.

I just don't understand not wearing socks because it seems rather uncomfortable. isn't it hard to put on shoes without socks? Don't the shoes stick to the skin of the feet? Don't the feet get sweaty and damp? It's not like wearing sandals, after all.

My feet don't get sweaty. I don't know about other people, I'm assuming some do.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 9:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
can you imagine yourself greeting moshiach w/o socks omg ...

Since they dressed that way when ascending the Har HaBayis, yes, I can imagine it actually.

(FTR I wear stockings/socks when I leave my home.)

Chayalle

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 9:16 pm
amother Calendula wrote:
My feet don't get sweaty. I don't know about other people, I'm assuming some do.

I sweat much more with stockings (especially in the summer time) than without. I wear stockings outside my home, but inside my home...I do what's most comfortable.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 9:17 pm
Evreyone should do what their mehalech is any questions call your rav please dont get offended here its all personal opinions . And we have to remember shiviim panim latorah! Your all great imas to hkbh evreyone tries their best! chazak vinischazek!

amother
Ultramarine

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 1:34 am
amother OP wrote:
Why is the questiom naivly sweet ? Im asking this for real! and no other reason I noticed it a while since the summer in my haimisha community , thaught to ask here since im new to imamother . I love to hear diverse responses

OP where do you live that you didn’t notice that woman don’t always cover their legs ? I assume you don’t live in a diverse community.

But even so, it is very strange to me that you think this look is new since fall of 2023. You never heard of people having different levels of modesty ? You must be extremely sheltered , and that’s why an above poster said it’s sweetly naive . Because it is. It’s endearing!

chestnut

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 1:39 am
amother Snow wrote:

They're probably wearing no show socks
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children