Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
No socks? Is it a new trend
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Chayalle

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 6:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
And those days they went with long dresses so the feet werent seen

I have a great book that is an English translation of a diary written by a Meshulach from Yerushalayim who traveled to Yemen in the 1800's, about his experiences. In it he describes how the frum women there dressed. They did not wear any stockings, but they did wear long dresses to the ground, but when they walked you did see their sandaled feet. He describes that back in Yerushalayim that wouldn't be tznius standards but these were very frum tzanuah women.

I think this is a great illustration of differences in Minhag Hamakom.

BTW when going up to the Har HaBayis in the times of the Bais HaMikdash, you were not allowed to wear anything on your feet due to the Kedusha of the place. That is a Halacha. Yep, including women. Sounds like you would have dressed like the Taimani women described above (but without sandals).

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 6:43 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Read Reclaiming Dignity I cannot urge you enough.

Ordered it thanks

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 6:49 pm
We all know abov yeridas hadoros we cant compare our generation to theirs .and we will with hashems help be the dor to greet moshiach , can you imagine yourself greeting moshiach w/o socks omg ...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 6:50 pm
About sorry

amother
Blueberry

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 6:59 pm
amother OP wrote:
We all know abov yeridas hadoros we cant compare our generation to theirs .and we will with hashems help be the dor to greet moshiach , can you imagine yourself greeting moshiach w/o socks omg ...

As someone who doesn’t go out without tights, you seem to need to relearn the halachos of tznius.
Of COURSE you do not need to cover your feet in the house!! You don’t even need to cover your hair, elbows, collarbones, knees, etc in the house! Most people do, but most people do NOT cover their feet. That’s an absurd level of taking a high sensitivity and turning it into a halacha.
And guess what happens when you equate a sensitivity (I am not even calling it a chumra) with a halacha??
Then your daughters will see no difference between using a phone on shabbos and walking around the house in toes!!!!!
Now guess which one is a halacha?

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 7:13 pm
amother Blueberry wrote:
As someone who doesn’t go out without tights, you seem to need to relearn the halachos of tznius.
Of COURSE you do not need to cover your feet in the house!! You don’t even need to cover your hair, elbows, collarbones, knees, etc in the house! Most people do, but most people do NOT cover their feet. That’s an absurd level of taking a high sensitivity and turning it into a halacha.
And guess what happens when you equate a sensitivity (I am not even calling it a chumra) with a halacha??
Then your daughters will see no difference between using a phone on shabbos and walking around the house in toes!!!!!
Now guess which one is a halacha?

Anon because I have said this to sooo many people IRL. I truly believe that bedavka with this dor, but even in previous times: schools and parents should be makpid on halacha, and halacha only. If something is against halacha it's unacceptable. Otherwise, look away. You could maybe say what's preferred, so she can make a decision herself, but do not enforce it if it isn't halacha.When your daughter/student is old enough they will decide how to dress, and without it being shoved down their throat, they may just take on extras.
There was a certain halacha I did not keep for many years, because my school was extreme to the max with tznius rules (only gotten worse unfortunately) and whenever I heard something new I just dismissed it as another one of their crazy rules. I started writing examples but then I realized they're so insane that maybe they would give my school away. Thankfully I have never heard of rules like these since.

MrsDash

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 7:36 pm
I remember when the influx of Jewish families were moving to Lakewood. People who had been there a month would make comments on how some of the community members aren't as tznius as the so called "norm" in town. (This was over a score ago...)

Meanwhile, some community members who had been living in Lakewood for several generations dismissed it, some took offense.

The old Lakewood had all types of Jewish people. From the extremely modern, extreme religious, and everything in-between. Many frum members in town attended a day school, with mixed classes. One of the main boys school had kids from all backgrounds. (I'm not naming names. If you know the schools, you know.)

I'll never forget something I witnessed - A FFB lady made a rude comment to my mother because she was a B'T. My mother said, "Hon, I've been Frum well longer than you've been alive." Classic.

My point is that people forget that the planets revolve around the sun, not them. There is a world beyond your tiny bubble.

Tao

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 7:42 pm
MrsDash wrote:
I remember when the influx of Jewish families were moving to Lakewood. People who had been there a month would make comments on how some of the community members aren't as tznius as the so called "norm" in town. (This was over a score ago...)

Meanwhile, some community members who had been living in Lakewood for several generations dismissed it, some took offense.

The old Lakewood had all types of Jewish people. From the extremely modern, extreme religious, and everything in-between. Many frum members in town attended a day school, with mixed classes. One of the main boys school had kids from all backgrounds. (I'm not naming names. If you know the schools, you know.)

I'll never forget something I witnessed - A FFB lady made a rude comment to my mother because she was a B'T. My mother said, "Hon, I've been Frum well longer than you've been alive." Classic.

My point is that people forget that the planets revolve around the sun, not them. There is a world beyond your tiny bubble.

I love your mom without even knowing her! LOL

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 7:43 pm
amother OP wrote:

I can. What I can't imagine is greeting Moshiach while looking down at my fellow Jews.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 7:45 pm
amother OP wrote:

If you're referring to yeridas hadoros, why don't you take a look at the photos from a few generations ago. Then come back here and share those images.

Im awaiting.

amother
Dimgray

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 7:47 pm
amother OP wrote:

This is insulting.
For anyone whose Rav paskins they dont need to wear socks, of course they will go greet Mashiach without socks!
Asei Lecha Rav...

amother
Sand

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 7:48 pm
MrsDash wrote:

Wow I can't believe there are people in the world who would make a rude comment about being a BT. Your mother sounds amazing!

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 7:55 pm
amother OP wrote:

I absolutely can! The same way I can see myself greeting mashiach with a tichel. The same way I can see myself greeting mashiach with no makeup.

amother
Calendula

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 7:55 pm
amother OP wrote:

For many generations, women wore full length robes. A man never saw the shape of their calves. (They also didn't wear socks.. socks didn't exist, they wore sandals). They would never dream of wearing a realistic looking wig on their head. Trust me, you look very promiscuous in comparison. How do you plan to greet mashiach?

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 8:00 pm
amother Sand wrote:
Wow I can't believe there are people in the world who would make a rude comment about being a BT. Your mother sounds amazing!

Really? There are people who make rude comments about BTs and geirim. There are people who make rude comments to anyone who is different than they are, to the right or to the left.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 8:02 pm
Chumros come from having an extra sensitivity to things the fact that I go around my house with socks on is not a chumra ! Its just a
way I grew up , its a natrual, Sorry most people I know do!

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 8:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
Chumros come from having an extra sensitivity to things the fact that I go around my house with socks on is not a chumra ! Its just a

A chumra is supposed to be something that one takes upon themself. It is not something that one is supposed to impose on others, and it is certainly not supposed to be taught as or on the same level as halacha.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 8:07 pm
Chumros could sometimes come from o.c.d. wearing socks in house is not a chumra by alot of people its a norm , if not pantyhose then kneesocks or bobby socks

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 8:08 pm
amother OP wrote:

So you grew up with a chumrah and it became natural for you. How does that not make it a chumrah though?

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 8:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
Chumros could sometimes come from o.c.d. wearing socks in house is not a chumra by alot of people its a norm , if not pantyhose then kneesocks or bobby socks

I don't think you have an understanding what a chumrah is. Just because it is a norm for some people, doesn't make it less of a chumrah.
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children