Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Buying now on sale for next year
1  2  Next

Are you buying now on sale for next year winter
yes (explain why)  
 44%  [ 34 ]
no (explain why)  
 55%  [ 42 ]
Total Votes : 76

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 1:25 am
So I really want to buy now my kid's wardrobe for next yr winter since I am paying half the money and it is easier to have things in the closet ready. Thing is though that husband claims we don't have the money for it now, I explained him that we will most likely not have more money next yr and this is how I only spend half of the money, he says hashem will send us then the money we will need. OTOH it will cost literally double. What you doing and why?

realtalk

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 1:42 am
I wouldn't make it a shalom bayis issue.

However I do buy a few things. I don't buy the entire wardrobe because I doing have the patience and don't buu exclusively from Jewish stores but I will look for things that work and spend a little bit to spread out the expenses

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 2:43 am
I do a little because I like European brands but not the price. However from experience I found that it’s not always money saving. Most of the nice, well priced, well fitting things are sold out.
You can get a $200 dress for $60 but if you shop kidichic or lil legs beginning of the season you can find nice fresh clothes for cheaper than that.

Brit in Israel

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 2:44 am
I don't advance buy, I would love to but DH doesn't.
I am so glad I didn't.
One of my kid went up nearly 2 sizes, the other didn't even grow one size. Most of his clothes last year still fit.
Majority of times there are sales at all times of year and you can get decent prices by shopping around, if you are not going for brands and expensive makes. Which I hope you are not if you can't even afford it when on sale.

The only things I would buy in advance if it's a good price would be pants, & t-shirt tops which are good for between season, summer with sleeves folded and winter with a vest under.

DH always points out how many things my sister trys to sell because she bought in advance and it either doesn't fit or the style has changed. (slightly grateful she did coz I got good freebies / great price from her)

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 2:53 am
No, no money
Also, I often get hand me downs.

Sometimes no money means exactly that. But you can go through the numbers with your husband to see if there is any wiggle room. But sometimes there just isn't.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 4:08 am
You never know what size your kids will be in a year

amother
Outerspace

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 4:22 am
I used to try and buy more in the sales. And then I found I wasn't using a lot of the clothing as the kids grew at different rates, and it didn't fit. So I stopped buying so much.

dankbar

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 4:32 am
I used to but doesn't always work out with sizes. Especially when you want to match, and one ends up fitting and one not.

Now when I look for sales at end of winter, I would rather look for clothes that can be worn for in between season like for Pesach or all yr round. It's easier to know sizing.

So I wouldn't buy furry, suede, velvet, velour, corduroy, heavy wool now if I have enough for the winter now, but rather cotton lined sweat tops, thinner fabrics, knits, or the color not so heavy wintery so I it can be used for Pesach or Spring.

Busybee5

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 5:03 am
A few , really not a lot at all. But I don't spend tons on my kids clothing to begin with unless they're older , and in suits. My big boys cost a fortune. My one daughter can still wear adorable dresses from next. I don't shop much in Jewish shops, if at all.

We also don't have the money now, it's vacation time! And I've only just finished buying all my kids winter wardrobes for the year so I don't go crazy with sales.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 5:06 am
I buy on sale but generally not for a whole season ahead. I get another outfit for now as generally it’s needed. Another one for spring in between weather and if something pulls and the price is right I’ll risk it for next year. Worst comes to worst if it won’t fit next year it’s cheap enough and I have enough friends who would appreciate it.

teachkids

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 5:33 am
My kids tend to outgrow their size mid winter so I buy now for what they'll need in January and then that fits them for the first half of wintwr next year. I used to buy everything ahead, but then we started getting hand me downs and had doubles so I stopped.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 7:07 am
I used to. But I stopped when the clothes I bought for DS were sitting in the closet for YEARS because they still didn't fit him. He was a fat toddler and then really slimmed down.

I learned my lesson mostly.

There were good sales last winter, but I didn't stock up for this reason. I don't regret it. My toddler who was very slight has filled in more. I wouldn't have guessed she'd be wearing a 3T.

amother
Heather

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 7:22 am
I don't. I find that the clothes ends up sitting. I tend to buy in the cheaper Jewish stores but in the beginning of the season. The only thing I am going to get now is some new white shirts for ds and if I see anything really nice that can work for the others as I have a few simchas coming up in next two months. I am also expecting and maybe maybe will buy a couple baby stretchies if I see in sale. (I have baby at home so need some stuff right away)

amother
Topaz

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 7:28 am
Which sites have sales now?

amother
Springgreen

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 7:42 am
I'm not buying now because I don't have the money for it now.

amother
Electricblue

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 7:53 am
I do not buy before. I usually get hand me downs. And I don't need dh to tell me we have no money. We often have a negative bank account and can't even buy diapers.

TravelHearter

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 8:41 am
I do.
Kollel couple, generally tight-ish.
For whatever reason last year I didn’t really buy for this year and by sukkos, when I had to pay full price for everything, it really made us tight.
When I buy in advance, I stick to clothes that can be worn regardless of exact size. Like I won’t buy pants or skirts, but definitely buy shabbos sweaters and weekday and shabbos dresses. Things that aren’t a style that is going out, as Jewish styles tend to last more than one season and beyond that I don’t care.

amother
Quince

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 8:43 am
Yes! I love you match my two boys who wear the same size so I always buy one size up for next yearm then in neg of season I fill in with cheaper like Primark, target, Ali. This allows me to get nicer clothing Jewish brands at a fraction of the price.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 9:44 am
I buy shabbos dresses at rock bottom prices if I think I can sell them off if they don't work out. Usually the prices I pay are appealing to others 😉

And if not, and I end up with a dress that was $10 and 2 that don't work for me and I can't sell off, I still only paid $30 for 1 Jewish dress...

Weekday clothing I don't bother buying ahead. Between Target for shirts and pants, and places like tottini for skirts, I find I can get decent pricing in the here and now...

amother
Catmint

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 9:59 am
amother Denim wrote:
I used to. But I stopped when the clothes I bought for DS were sitting in the closet for YEARS because they still didn't fit him. He was a fat toddler and then really slimmed down.

I learned my lesson mostly.

There were good sales last winter, but I didn't stock up for this reason. I don't regret it. My toddler who was very slight has filled in more. I wouldn't have guessed she'd be wearing a 3T.

Likewise. I learned my lesson early on. If you don't end up using a some of the sale items, you don't really save any money. If you calculate the amount spent against the actual clothing used you usually don't come ahead.

After learning that lesson, I limited sale shopping to current needs or to basics that don't need an exact fit. For example, if I knew my kids need a new winter jacket, that is something I'd buy now. I usually try to shlep their old jackets till the sales, and then but them now. A good basic all year round sweater, or an all year round outfit is something I would also consider.

In order to save money, I pass down clothing (I know, the horror!. I'm ruining my kids for life because the don't match every day, and they don't get everything new.) Considering the prices today in the stores, that's a lot of money saved!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics