Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What happens to cc debt when someone dies?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 10:04 am
Who is responsible to pay it off? Can the creditors go after the house?

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 10:16 am
I have the same question.

I also wonder what happens with all the other kids of debt.

My fil is older and has tremendous debt due to being extremely financially irresponsible over the years. Dh is the oldest son. I’m really nervous.

I know that Halacha differs here from the law but I’m not sure how.

Anyone with insight?

Iymnok

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 10:19 am
It might be forgiven. There are certain death benefits.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 10:32 am
When my husband was niftar I "inheritted" his cc debts. But the company was willing to negotiate and I ended up paying about 10%.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 10:34 am
I would imagine it would be paid by the estate somewhat? Like if a house were sold, they could put a lien on the house? Not sure though.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 10:37 am
Could you inherit debt from a parent? My in laws are drowning in debt Sad

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 10:44 am
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
Could you inherit debt from a parent? My in laws are drowning in debt Sad

The heir to the estate inherits the debt. If one of your inlaws is niftar most likely the spouse inherits the estate and any debts. If there is no spouse it likely divided among the children. Basically whoever inherits the estate inherits any debts.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 10:46 am
I’ve heard that you don’t have to pay your parents debts although credit card companies pretend you do have to. If you start paying, the debt becomes your responsibility.

If anyone ends up in this situation, please please do good research.

amother
Pear

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 10:52 am
You don't have to pay it. When my mother A"H passed she only had one cc with a few thousand dollar balance left. Everything else was paid off. My father called them up, told them she passed & hed like to pay it, and the rep actually told him, you are not responsible to pay it off, legally we can't go after you at all. He ended up paying it because he said 'mommy would want me to do that' but just letting u know.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 11:02 am
It depends on so many things.

Someone I know passed in a freak accident, he left a young wife who was a sahm with many little children. They did not own anthing
within an hour of his passing, a relative came over, took all his ccs that were not joint accounts and maxed it out. And the amount he used, he put for credit at the grocery and butcher.
It was crimimally smart. But still wonder if that was legally or halachikly ok.

singleagain

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 11:04 am
amother Red wrote:

Someone I know passed in a freak accident, he left a young wife who was a sahm with many little children. They did not own anthing
within an hour of his passing, a relative came over, took all his ccs that were not joint accounts and maxed it out. And the amount he used, he put for credit at the grocery and butcher.

How can it be okay? It's credit card fraud!

amother
Electricblue

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 11:05 am
I think its state by state, and depends on different kinds of debt (cc, federal loans)

In general, debt needs to be payed by the state( like a house or other assets) and only then can the people named in the will get the money. There is also a time frame which the creditors are allowed to go after debt, after which they can't get it (I think NJ is 9 months).

If its a spouse's debt and you are joint owners you will need to pay of the debt or they will go of the spouses part of the house.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 11:30 am
amother Pear wrote:
You don't have to pay it. When my mother A"H passed she only had one cc with a few thousand dollar balance left. Everything else was paid off. My father called them up, told them she passed & hed like to pay it, and the rep actually told him, you are not responsible to pay it off, legally we can't go after you at all. He ended up paying it because he said 'mommy would want me to do that' but just letting u know.

May her neshama have an aliya. She must have been very special to have someone like your father pay off her card. Were they still married?

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 11:33 am
amother Red wrote:

Only Hashem knows, I wouldnt judge.
Besides its only a temporary releif for the widow.

amother
Pear

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 11:44 am
B'Syata D'Shmya wrote:
May her neshama have an aliya. She must have been very special to have someone like your father pay off her card. Were they still married?

Amen. Her yartzeit is actually next week. Yes! they were married for over 50 years! And knowing my mother that is absolutely what she wd hv wanted. No debt to anyone. At shiva we noticed a bag w a label on it, it said: this rain bonnet belongs to my sister, pls return to her.
Who wd hv remembered about a small little rain bonnet?! That was so typical her though.

Sorry for going off topic here. I'll mk my exit now.

Itsallfromhim

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 12:02 pm
amother Pear wrote:
Amen. Her yartzeit is actually next week. Yes! they were married for over 50 years! And knowing my mother that is absolutely what she wd hv wanted. No debt to anyone. At shiva we noticed a bag w a label on it, it said: this rain bonnet belongs to my sister, pls return to her.
Who wd hv remembered about a small little rain bonnet?! That was so typical her though.

Sorry for going off topic here. I'll mk my exit now.

May her neshama have an aliyah.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 12:14 pm
G-d l want that for myself
when I pass I and dh should be completely and totally debt free
thanks for posting

CPenzias

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 1:03 pm
amother Pear wrote:

My fil passed in September and owed a little bit. My mil tried to pay it and they wouldn't let

leah233

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 2:03 pm
amother Red wrote:

It was flat out theft. He had no permission to use the deceased's credit cards after the person's death. Not from the deceased and not from the credit card issuer.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 2:08 pm
leah233 wrote:
It was flat out theft. He had no permission to use the deceased's credit cards after the person's death. Not from the deceased and not from the credit card issuer.

Can we please stop passing judgement?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics