Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Ikea billy shelves and doors

New2Lakewood

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 12:43 pm
anyone turn the ikea billy into a china closet (with wooden shelves)? what doors work and are you happy with it? TIA!

naturelover

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 12:45 pm
I did. I have doors that are half glass half covered. They also make doors that are all glass or all covered.

Einikel

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 12:46 pm
naturelover wrote:
I did. I have doors that are half glass half covered. They also make doors that are all glass or all covered.

Same here. It looks really nice.

New2Lakewood

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 12:48 pm
wow amazing! How do you know which ones to buy? do they help in the showroom, or do you have to figure it out yourself? if you bought online, how did you know if it was the right one?

And a sincere thank you for your help!

Einikel

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 12:49 pm
New2Lakewood wrote:
wow amazing! How do you know which ones to buy? do they help in the showroom, or do you have to figure it out yourself? if you bought online, how did you know if it was the right one?

You'll see in the store. It's in the same section as the Billy bookshelf I think.
Or I'm sure one of the reps can help.

Einikel

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 12:50 pm
I think it's this
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/o.....ntent

asmileaday

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 12:52 pm
I found it easier to look online beforehand, see what my options are and go to the store with a printed list of which parts I will need.
I have quite a few of the Billy bookcases. Love them.
I have a few of the single ones, with no doors, for books.
I have the double ones with full glass doors and an extension for more height that I use as a seforim shrank.
It can be used as a China Closet but it's not airtight so your silver can get a little tarnished.
I'm still searching for an airtight one. Seems like you can only get that at the Jewish stores and I'm not spending those prices.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 1:30 pm
asmileaday wrote:
I found it easier to look online beforehand, see what my options are and go to the store with a printed list of which parts I will need.
I have quite a few of the Billy bookcases. Love them.
I have a few of the single ones, with no doors, for books.
I have the double ones with full glass doors and an extension for more height that I use as a seforim shrank.
It can be used as a China Closet but it's not airtight so your silver can get a little tarnished.
I'm still searching for an airtight one. Seems like you can only get that at the Jewish stores and I'm not spending those prices.

Also owner of Billy bookcases for my books, mine are with doors. I can see myself buying another as a china closet if needed Smile In that case I would buy the deeper bookcase of 40 cm, not the standard 30 cm.
That's what I like about Billy, multi-purpose and functional.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 1:35 pm
New2Lakewood wrote:

Measure space at home before shopping. I always check *everything* online before buying. The more you plan at home they easier when you shop.

Olive

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 1:37 pm
Ikea also had several collections, not Billy, that are solid wood. A bit more pricey yet still ridiculously cheap for what you are getting & will serve you better over the years.

My Billy bookcase lasted nicely- 7 years maybe but then it collapsed in a heap, I didn't even need to disassemble for the trash!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars