Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Medicating a first grader?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 8:50 pm
in school he does great. Smart kid, listens and behaves, does well socially. The teachers and rebbeim are very happy with him and have always been.
At home he has two sides. He can be so sweet and kind and generous. But then something switches off in his brain and he becomes wild with a glint in his eye and acts like a wild animal. This happens most commonly after school.
In the morning his mostly plays nicely, wakes up before me but plays quietly. Eats breakfast etc.
after school he gets into this wild fit about dinner/homework/not liking any activities such as playdates or crafts that I’ve prepared… giving a hard time at bath Time and bedtime…
It’s ruining our family’s shalom bayis but it seems odd to medicate for a 3 hour time span. I’d appreciate parenting tips and we’ve been to therapy but gotten nowhere with this.

BrooklynBee

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 8:53 pm
I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone (that should be prescribing) would give you meds for that. If someone has ADHD, you would see it for more than 3 hours a day. Maybe try a different therapist?

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 8:54 pm
Kids sit at desks all day. Even first graders who might have a little recess time mostly sit at desks all day. Perhaps he just needs some exercise to get the shpilkes out? I know this is not the answer for every child but it worked for my hyperactive kid and worth trying before medicating. We got a treadmill. She runs 20 minutes when she gets home. She's a different kid. Still high energy but not bouncing off the walls making everyone nuts, and she sleeps better too.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 8:55 pm
amother Firebrick wrote:
Kids sit at desks all day. Even first graders who might have a little recess time mostly sit at desks all day. Perhaps he just needs some exercise to get the shpilkes out? I know this is not the answer for every child but it worked for my hyperactive kid and worth trying before medicating. We got a treadmill. She runs 20 minutes when she gets home. She's a different kid. Still high energy but not bouncing off the walls making everyone nuts, and she sleeps better too.

I’d love to try that but a treadmill is it in our budget right now. Also he tends to be excited about new things at first and then the excitement is gone after the first day so I think he’d try the treadmill once and then say he’s too tired 😂
He’d love a trampoline but I’m not having that achrayus- broken arms etc
Any other ways he can get out his energy?

amother
Currant

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 8:55 pm
My child acts that way after school when he comes home hungry. As soon as he eats he becomes a new person.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 8:56 pm
amother Currant wrote:
My child acts that way after school when he comes home hungry. As soon as he eats he becomes a new person.

Interesting idea. I can try to have food for him right away. He isn’t any easier after dinner though - he still is wild after he eats dinner

smss

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 8:56 pm
BrooklynBee wrote:
I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone (that should be prescribing) would give you meds for that. If someone has ADHD, you would see it for more than 3 hours a day. Maybe try a different therapist?

This.
My understanding is that the behavior has to be seen in more than one setting to merit an ADHD diagnosis.

That sounds really hard though OP! I hope you find something that helps!

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 8:57 pm
I can’t comment on your situation, but it’s not so unusual for first graders to be on ADHD medication.

amother
IndianRed

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 8:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’d love to try that but a treadmill is it in our budget right now. Also he tends to be excited about new things at first and then the excitement is gone after the first day so I think he’d try the treadmill once and then say he’s too tired 😂
He’d love a trampoline but I’m not having that achrayus- broken arms etc
Any other ways he can get out his energy?

You can get a mini trampoline. Do movement break videos on YouTube. Go for a walk around the corner. Set up a movement challenge and switch it up (I.e. 20 jumping Jack's, 20 high jumps, 20 elbow to knees etc...)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 8:59 pm
amother IndianRed wrote:
You can get a mini trampoline. Do movement break videos on YouTube. Go for a walk around the corner. Set up a movement challenge and switch it up (I.e. 20 jumping Jack's, 20 high jumps, 20 elbow to knees etc...)

Gonna have to try some of these!

scintilla

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 9:02 pm
Sounds like he's holding it in all day and then falls apart by the evening, with total sensory overload. There are definitely things you can do to preempt it, I'd try an OT who can work with you to get some ideas of things you can do right when he gets home to help him cope throughout the evening. I can give some ideas but it depends on what he needs and it's hard to know that specifically from what you wrote - also, I'm not an OT! Personally I think that would be more effective than meds which have side effects, wear off etc.

Window

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 9:04 pm
He really might just need a snack after school

amother
Stoneblue

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 9:07 pm
I would recommend a drink, a healthy snack, and spending as much time as possible outdoors as soon as he gets home.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 9:07 pm
amother Stoneblue wrote:
I would recommend a drink, a healthy snack, and spending as much time as possible outdoors as soon as he gets home.

It’s cold and dark so outdoors can only happen when and for as long as an adult can be there with him.

Any ideas for healthy snacks

amother
Hawthorn

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 9:09 pm
I bought a punching bag for my child when I was dealing with this.

amother
Mayflower

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 9:26 pm
Nutrient dense foods that don't mess with his blood sugar. Plenty of water.

Prep a sensory activity with tactile and vestibular input.

Magnesium and Epsom salt footsoak while listening to a cd, music or audiobook with headphones on.

Bundle up and take a walk or bike around the block.

Calming herbs and supplements such as gaba, l theanine, 5htp, magnesium, glutathione, lemon balm, Chinese skullcap, ashwahganda, phosphatidylserine.

Bath with natural bubble bath, essential oils and fun bath toys.

Try motrin for 3 days. If he's better, brain inflammation is at play.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 9:35 pm
My child is like this when she is given treats in school with dyes and red 40 in them. I would recommend speaking to the teacher to make sure he isn't getting these things and if he is, that it should stop ASAP.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 9:45 pm
I medicated my kid with ADHD when they were in 1st. It was clearly ADHD, we did a whole evaluation with an educational Psychologist. But they likely wouldn't diagnose ADHD or prescribe meds for after school issues alone. I would check with the school to see how you kid really is in class.

My kids all crash after school in their own ways. One needs quiet time. The other has too much energy. I bought a cheap dance mat from Amazon. It just has a weird beat but isn't actual Non Jewish music. Nothing crazy, kind of like elevator music mixed with Tetris? Really helps.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 9:46 pm
He's still a little boy. I would try a non-sugary but filling snack immediately when he gets home and then a physical activity: running around, playing ball, riding a bike or scooter...

Rappel

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 9:49 pm
Never would I ever

Your son sounds normal. He's in school from 9 am to 4 pm, and then has homework? It's the world that's crazy, not the 6 year old boy.

Last edited by Rappel on Mon, Jan 01 2024, 9:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children