Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Career options in Israel
1  2  Next

anon1010101

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 7:23 pm
Hi,
what are well paying jobs in israel- ones that need college or not, it doesnt matter. I'm having a hard time finding resources with the information on best careers and their salaries.
TIA

amother
DarkYellow

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 7:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
Hi,
what are well paying jobs in israel- ones that need college or not, it doesnt matter. I'm having a hard time finding resources with the information on best careers and their salaries.
TIA

High tech is the obvious answer, but it can be a hard field to break into, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a passion for it anyway.

Driving Instructors get paid a lot and can set their own hours. I'd highly recommend this if you like driving and teaching.

Academic tutors make a lot per hour, but don't usually get so many hours that it's a big montly salary. But the plus side is you can work 3 - 4 hours a day tutoring high school math/English and get the salary of someone working full time and worse hours at a low-income job. If you want money, private tutoring is better than teaching at a school!!!

Nurses can easily get 20,000₪/month IF they work mostly nights and Shabbats and take double shifts. On the other hand, nurses who only work convienient hours barely get over minimum wage.

In general, secretarial positions are poorly paid.

Doctors make way less in Israel than in the US. Don't do it for the pay.

Bus drivers are paid well, and you usually work mornings and evenings but no nights.

If you are asking for DH, a man who drives a large truck and unloads the contents (for example drives milk and unloads it at stores), gets paid well. Must be in decent shape with a good back because it is very physical.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 7:58 pm
The reason there are so many start-ups, is that generally, working for someone else is poorly paid. With NIGHT nurses and bus drivers/ large truck drivers being two exceptions I can think of.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 11:27 am
amother DarkYellow wrote:
The reason there are so many start-ups, is that generally, working for someone else is poorly paid. With NIGHT nurses and bus drivers/ large truck drivers being two exceptions I can think of.

---

amother
DarkYellow

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 1:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you for your detailed answer. I got my bachelor in science in the US. I was planning on becoming a dentist in the us then moving to israel.However, because the pay isnt so great in israel im a little concerned about paying back 400k+ in loans. Its easy to do it here in the us but since the salary is significantly lower in israel I feel like ill never b able to pay it back. I like the field but being in debt forever isnt worth it

Do you know other high paying careers in health care? and if there's an english graduate program in israel. Not such a fan on nurses hours, I can't do 12 hour shifts. I have a lot of friends in that field and they burn out so quickly.

theres no english dental school in israel, only medical.

Regarding tech- It sounds cool but it's literally the only thing I didnt study in undergard, I wld have to start at the beginning. so basically my time in undergrad would be a waste of 4 years. I feel a little dumb starting over.

I didn't understand one thing: do you have $400,000 in debt NOW, or were you planning to take it out to go to US dental school?

By the best of my knowledge, there is NOTHING that an Israeli can do to pay off $400,000. Even with a high tech job, it would be extremely difficult.

If you are not in debt yet, my advice is don't go into debt, come to Israel, figure out which career you want, you will get a free Bachelor's degree at an Israeli university after you make Aliya.

If you already have the debt, sadly, I would advise you to work in the US for a few years to pay it off and perhaps even save up a little, before making Aliya.

lovecouches

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 2:08 pm
If you're planning on making Aliya look into making your student loan income based. Foreign income doesn't count. I don't really know that much about it but I saw this american who moved to Germany talking about it on YouTube and she had Links and stuff.

Success10

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 2:11 pm
400K?? Wow, I really wanted one of my kids to be a dentist. Well, there goes that!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 2:13 pm
I didn't understand one thing: do you have $400,000 in debt NOW, or were you planning to take it out to go to US dental school?

By the best of my knowledge, there is NOTHING that an Israeli can do to pay off $400,000. Even with a high tech job, it would be extremely difficult.

If you are not in debt yet, my advice is don't go into debt, come to Israel, figure out which career you want, you will get a free Bachelor's degree at an Israeli university after you make Aliya.

If you already have the debt, sadly, I would advise you to work in the US for a few years to pay it off and perhaps even save up a little, before making Aliya.

I only have my bachelors. I didnt go to dental school yet so as of now no 400k debt

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 2:15 pm
Success10 wrote:
400K?? Wow, I really wanted one of my kids to be a dentist. Well, there goes that!

it depends which school they go to. state schools in the us are half the price. but I know dentists making 500k a year so it really not hard to pay off the debt. also theres places that if u work there for a certain amount of time they pay all ur loans. if someone is living in the usa imo the cost of schooling shouldn't deter them from going. ive never met a dentist who struggled financially.

amother
Pear

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 2:16 pm
consider opening your own business whatever it may be, instead of salaried work. Finding a good salary in Israel is very hard. Or find a good job in the US and try and stay remote in Israel.

Success10

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 2:20 pm
Did you look into idc herzeliya?

amother
Jasmine

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 2:23 pm
What about doing dental school in hebrew?
It would be free as an oleh

Or Medical school in Israel, in english

There are these program in english. You should be able to use your american BA, and use the degree to pursue a career in bio-tech or continue to dental school after spending a few years on an israeli campus and working on your hebrew
https://international.huji.ac......ences
https://international.huji.ac......ences

amother
Ultramarine

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 2:33 pm
This is so hard. Are there any careers a mother can work less than full time and be able to be the primary supporter of the family?

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 2:42 pm
amother Ultramarine wrote:
This is so hard. Are there any careers a mother can work less than full time and be able to be the primary supporter of the family?

Cleaning ladies make around 80 nis an hour in certain neighborhoods

amother
Jasmine

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 3:08 pm
amother Cyan wrote:
Cleaning ladies make around 80 nis an hour in certain neighborhoods

I put in 8 hours a day - but 3 of them in the evening on my own time.

I am making a LOT more the 80 nis an hour and I am the primary breadwinner

Most of my friends who are accountants, architects, programmers, graphic designers, have this schedule.

There are also people who are succesful slinical SW's in private practice who work very part time and make nice money (350- 650 nis an hour, depending on experience. And the OT's and Speech therapists earn a decent hourly rate, they just aren't putting in so many hours - which is why they end up with only 8- 9 k a month....

amother
DarkYellow

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 3:13 pm
amother Ultramarine wrote:

Private English Tutor or Driving Instructor if you're a good teacher and have some ability to market yourself.

I feel almost like one of the meraglim for saying this... but... if you want a decent salary you almost need to work for yourself, because if you work for someone else they will pay you as little as they can possibly get away with and it won't be enough.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 3:13 pm
I can relate.
I'm almost done OT school and will have 50k in loans. As much as I want to move to Israel already, I think I need to first work in US until I pay off my loans and then move when I'm debt free.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 3:17 pm
Private English Tutor or Driving Instructor if you're a good teacher and have some ability to market yourself.

I feel almost like one of the meraglim for saying this... but... if you want a decent salary you almost need to work for yourself, because if you work for someone else they will pay you as little as they can possibly get away with and it won't be enough.

But doing what? I mean, you have to have some sort of marketable talent otherwise its literally not worth it.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 3:23 pm
The anglo's I know that are wealthy in this country generally come from money and have assets and investments or US based businesses. No one I know is making big bucks off their israeli day job. Some are working for big US companies and are making money, some commute to the states, some are able to enjoy their israeli day job because they are sitting on a nice amount of other investments bringing in money. I know a few wealthy dentists here, one comes from big money and also has a lot of business investments and one moved here after many years of a thriving practice in NY.

amother
Alyssum

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 3:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
it depends which school they go to. state schools in the us are half the price. but I know dentists making 500k a year so it really not hard to pay off the debt. also theres places that if u work there for a certain amount of time they pay all ur loans. if someone is living in the usa imo the cost of schooling shouldn't deter them from going. ive never met a dentist who struggled financially.

My dentist who’s practicing for many years struggles financially. He also works a second job .
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics