Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
2 year old activities

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 3:01 pm
How can I engage more with my toddler?

We read books, color, do house chores together (kind of), play dough, play outside (getting too cold though).

I feel like I'm not giving her enough active attention in different ways. I just don't love crazy messy things.

What are developmentally appropriate activities for a 2 year old?

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 3:10 pm
I’m home with my 2 year old every day. We read a looooot of books. Color. Play dough. He loves making things with magnatiles, duplo, little people. So basically the same things you are doing! Honestly I don’t think you need to do much else if your child seems content. I try to add some “educational” conversation into our activities when I remember. Like for example when we are coloring I’ll try to mention the crayon or marker colors that we are using. Shapes when we do magnatiles. That kind of stuff. Count objects out. But I’m not like doing it all the time that it’s annoying just when I remember and like casually.

One thing he loves doing is making challah with me. Have you ever baked with yours?

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 3:12 pm
Just re-read your post and realized you mentioned you don’t feel like you’re actively engaging with your child enough. I can totally relate to that. For me it’s that since I’m home I feel like there’s so much else I need to be doing. Do you have that also? Or is it that you’re just not interested in toddler play and are bored?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 3:17 pm
amother Honey wrote:
Just re-read your post and realized you mentioned you don’t feel like you’re actively engaging with your child enough. I can totally relate to that. For me it’s that since I’m home I feel like there’s so much else I need to be doing. Do you have that also? Or is it that you’re just not interested in toddler play and are bored?

Such a thoughtful response. Thanks!

I think it's both. I'm not obsessed with this toddler stage... Definitely get bored of all the repetition. How many times can I read the same book?! LOL
At the same time, there is always something I feel needs to get done around the house.

I am not home with her all day and find it hard. You are a real trooper!

amother
Blushpink

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 3:18 pm
I have a 1.5 year old that has no idea how to play alone with his toys. He is only interested in watching me play. When anyone else is there, he can play without me. I wish there was some kind of open playroom where I can stop by and meet others while my baby plays or watches other kids play. Anyone want to open one up in Lakewood?
I make sure to have play dates at least once a week, but I can't overburden the hosts that often....

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 3:23 pm
amother Blushpink wrote:
I have a 1.5 year old that has no idea how to play alone with his toys. He is only interested in watching me play. When anyone else is there, he can play without me. I wish there was some kind of open playroom where I can stop by and meet others while my baby plays or watches other kids play. Anyone want to open one up in Lakewood?
I make sure to have play dates at least once a week, but I can't overburden the hosts that often....

I find this is the case for my daughter as well. I know it's age appropriate, but it doesn't make it easy!

An indoor play area would be amazing!

Playdates area good idea. I just find it hard to coordinate schedules.

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 3:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
Such a thoughtful response. Thanks!

I think it's both. I'm not obsessed with this toddler stage... Definitely get bored of all the repetition. How many times can I read the same book?! LOL
At the same time, there is always something I feel needs to get done around the house.

I am not home with her all day and find it hard. You are a real trooper!

Do you think she’s happy? Does she seem content? Feels loved and cared about/cared for? You obviously give her some attention and interact with her since you mentioned things you do together. If she seems fine she probably is fine. You don’t need to constantly be talking to her and doing things with her. Maybe for your own sake try to rotate the toys or books you play or read together a bit so you can be a bit more engaged and not so bored. Go to the library.
I try to be creative with our stuff. We’ll do like trucks one day with blocks and make a construction site. I’ll take painters tape and make a road on the floor and we drive the matchbox cars around on it. Play chef with the play food. Those are just examples and I’m not doing stuff like that every day just whenever I start feeling bored.

*just want to add that I’m not playing with and entertaining my 2 year old all day long. Don’t want you to get the wrong impression.

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 3:30 pm
amother Blushpink wrote:

Yeah that certainly makes it more challenging when they don’t play by themselves.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics