Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
San Francisco
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 5:37 pm
Any ideas of kid friendly activities in San Francisco?

amother
Cadetblue

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 6:10 pm
My kids enjoyed Alcatraz, pier 39, and the jelly belly factory (this last one is a bit of a drive) they are 7 and 11 for reference

doctorima

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 7:16 pm
Alcatraz is a must do, but book tickets ASAP because they sell out well in advance. Riding the trolley is a fun and unique experience. Musee Mecanique at Fisherman's Wharf has really old arcade games that they'll enjoy playing. The Exploratorium is a really hands-on science museum that's great for kids.

My kids also loved the Jelly Belly tour (and free kosher samples!), but Sacramento is a bit of a drive. In the other direction, the Monterey Aquarium in San Jose is world famous and was a big hit.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 12:50 pm
Thanks so much! Any more suggestions pls

amother
Canary

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 1:18 pm
In the travel with kids a lot. And I’ve been to San Fran several times. But it’s not somewhere I’d choose to take kids; I just think the attractions are more geared older. (I would take tweens and teens) how old are your kids?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 2:56 pm
[quote="amother Canary"]In the travel with kids a lot. And I’ve been to San Fran several times. But it’s not somewhere I’d choose to take kids; I just think the attractions are more geared older. (I would take tweens and teens) how old are your kids?[/quote

Oyy I already booked tickets! Kids are ages 2 to 13

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 4:16 pm
California Academy of Sciences
Landsend hike
Muir Woods
Presidio Tunnel tops park
San Francisco or Oakland zoo
Rodeo beach hike and mammal center- https://www.marinmommies.com/f.....lands

There’s a great kids museum in Marin called Bay Area discovery center

Sales force park has a free short gondola to take up ( it’s not that exciting but if you are in the area it’s cool to see)

Yerba buena garden has a carousel, playground, children museum, bowling and I think indoor ice skating

I don’t love San Francisco but I do love Marin

amother
NeonBlue

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 4:19 pm
San Fran is a cesspool these days. Be careful. Such a shame because it was a great destination…

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 4:20 pm
I forgot to say, its fun to walk across the Golden Gate Bridge

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 4:21 pm
amother NeonBlue wrote:
San Fran is a cesspool these days. Be careful. Such a shame because it was a great destination…

What's a cesspool?

amother
NeonBlue

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 4:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
What's a cesspool?

A disgusting mess. It’s overrun by homeless drug addicts and unsavory people.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 4:26 pm
The homeless situation isn’t good but there are nicer areas of the city and less nice. There are nice things to do and lots of beautiful nature and world class museums. Kosher scene is not good but there are are some options. It’s a big city that lost a lot of its employees since Covid, so it’s going through some transitions and is not in its best time, but I think you can still have a great trip

amother
Canary

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 4:32 pm
[quote="amother OP"]
amother Canary wrote:
In the travel with kids a lot. And I’ve been to San Fran several times. But it’s not somewhere I’d choose to take kids; I just think the attractions are more geared older. (I would take tweens and teens) how old are your kids?[/quote

Oyy I already booked tickets! Kids are ages 2 to 13

Ooc what made you book the trip before researching attractions?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 2:43 pm
amother Canary wrote:
Ooc what made you book the trip before researching attractions?

Lol I don't travel alot. Before I booked our flight, I just made sure that there was a shul I could stay next to so my husband can daven and that it had kosher food. It didn't even occur to me to make sure there's children's activities.

tichellady

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 2:47 pm
amother OP wrote:
Lol I don't travel alot. Before I booked our flight, I just made sure that there was a shul I could stay next to so my husband can daven and that it had kosher food. It didn't even occur to me to make sure there's children's activities.

There are definitely children's activities in San Francisco!

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 3:11 pm
amother OP wrote:

Out of curiosity, what shul and kosher food did you come across, because we found SF to be among the hardest big cities to find Jewish amenities. When we went, there was just one restaurant in Chinatown where we had a long wait to get a table, and I remember DH having a hard time driving cross town in traffic and finding parking just to find a Chabad with a minyan. Most other cities this size were far easier.

gila-rina

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 3:21 pm
amother Orange wrote:
Out of curiosity, what shul and kosher food did you come across, because we found SF to be among the hardest big cities to find Jewish amenities. When we went, there was just one restaurant in Chinatown where we had a long wait to get a table, and I remember DH having a hard time driving cross town in traffic and finding parking just to find a Chabad with a minyan. Most other cities this size were far easier.

There is also a milchig place /bakery.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 3:29 pm
amother Orange wrote:

Chabad of Richmond and adat israel in sunset district both have minyans for shachris, mincha and maariv.

There's 2 kosher restaurants and a kosher grocery store like 25 min away.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 5:29 pm
There is sabra and hummus bodega. No bakery or Chinese restaurant anymore. Trader Joe’s have a lot of kosher products. Oakland has Oakland kosher and Berkeley has boichik bagel factory ( the bagels are kosher) and tcho kosher chocolate factory ( not that you would necessarily go to Oakland or Berkeley while going to sf but you could).

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 5:34 pm
There is plenty to do. If you are coming from somewhere with a homeless situation ( like LA) it will probably be fine for you but it may be off putting and hard if you aren’t used to that. There also is an anti Israel contingent in the Bay Area so you may see protests or signs that make you uncomfortable etc
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics