Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Gift for 10 year old non-Jewish boy
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 7:28 pm
My baby is in the NICU and he shares a room with another baby. Their family is Muslim. We have a good relationship with them since we see each other every day and talk and we want to make a kiddish Hashem especially with the war going on.
Their baby is being discharged on Monday and we want to get a gift for the baby and his older brother who has been very deprived of his parents while they were in the Nicu.
What kind of gift is good for a non-Jewish 10 year old boy?
(Added about them being Muslim in case it helps provide context for what sort of gift is appropriate)

Persevere

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 7:30 pm
amother OP wrote:
My baby is in the NICU and he shares a room with another baby. Their family is Muslim. We have a good relationship with them since we see each other every day and talk and we want to make a kiddish Hashem especially with the war going on.
Their baby is being discharged on Monday and we want to get a gift for the baby and his older brother who has been very deprived of his parents while they were in the Nicu.
(Added about them being Muslim in case it helps provide context for what sort of gift is appropriate)

Maybe a Lego kit?

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 7:31 pm
Came here to say Lego

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 7:32 pm
Persevere wrote:
Maybe a Lego kit?

Any specific kind? I don’t have any boy relatives in that age bracket so I’m a bit lost

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 7:35 pm
Playmobil but they’re not cheap…

amother
Calendula

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 7:38 pm
Some options

Limited-time deal: Light Up Soccer Ball - Glow in the Dark - NO 5 - Sports Gear Gifts for Boys & Girls 8-15+ Year Old - Kids, Teens Gift Ideas - Cool Boy Toys Ages 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Glowing Night Activity https://a.co/d/2nwBh2L

Limited-time deal: SOTAONE S350 Drone with Camera for Adults, Mini Drones for Kids with 1080P HD FPV Live Video, Remote Control Helicopter Toys Gifts for Boys Girls, Altitude Hold, One Key Start, 3D Flips, 2 Batteries https://a.co/d/5TvXig9

Limited-time deal: 3 Pack Airplane Launcher Toy, 12.6" Foam Glider Led Plane, 2 Flight Mode Catapult Plane for Kids Outdoor Sport Flying Toys Gifts for 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 12 Year Old Boys Girls https://a.co/d/8vAwc9a

amother
Calendula

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 7:39 pm
amother Dustypink wrote:
Playmobil but they’re not cheap…

I only thought Jews have older kids playing with Playmobil

amother
Cognac

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 7:50 pm
Bopit type of game (there also a nice Tetris type of electronic game). Kandoodle. Rc car. yo-yo

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 7:52 pm
amother Calendula wrote:
Some options

Limited-time deal: Light Up Soccer Ball - Glow in the Dark - NO 5 - Sports Gear Gifts for Boys & Girls 8-15+ Year Old - Kids, Teens Gift Ideas - Cool Boy Toys Ages 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Glowing Night Activity https://a.co/d/2nwBh2L

Limited-time deal: SOTAONE S350 Drone with Camera for Adults, Mini Drones for Kids with 1080P HD FPV Live Video, Remote Control Helicopter Toys Gifts for Boys Girls, Altitude Hold, One Key Start, 3D Flips, 2 Batteries https://a.co/d/5TvXig9

Limited-time deal: 3 Pack Airplane Launcher Toy, 12.6" Foam Glider Led Plane, 2 Flight Mode Catapult Plane for Kids Outdoor Sport Flying Toys Gifts for 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 12 Year Old Boys Girls https://a.co/d/8vAwc9a

Thank you!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 7:53 pm
amother Cognac wrote:
Bopit type of game (there also a nice Tetris type of electronic game). Kandoodle. Rc car. yo-yo

Thanks! Kandoodle sounds interesting

amother
Lemonlime

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 7:56 pm
amother OP wrote:

Just wanted to say how amazing and thoughtful that is, and an amazing kiddush Hashem! I am so inspired! May your baby have a refuha Shleima and come home healthy quickly!!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 8:18 pm
amother Lemonlime wrote:
Just wanted to say how amazing and thoughtful that is, and an amazing kiddush Hashem! I am so inspired! May your baby have a refuha Shleima and come home healthy quickly!!

Amein! Thank you!

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 8:20 pm
Whatever you get will be a huge kidush Hashem!

AllThings

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 8:27 pm
No ideas but I want to say that while my first thought is, what a nice idea, you might want to ask a shaaleh since it's not so simple to give presents to non-Jews (not saying I don't think you can in this situation, just that I know this is an iffy area).

sara1232

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 8:32 pm
AllThings wrote:
No ideas but I want to say that while my first thought is, what a nice idea, you might want to ask a shaaleh since it's not so simple to give presents to non-Jews (not saying I don't think you can in this situation, just that I know this is an iffy area).

I've never heard of this. Only time it's problematic is if you're giving it for x-mas or other religious holidays. Otherwise what's the problem?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 8:48 pm
AllThings wrote:

My rav said as long as I’m getting something out of giving a non-Jew a gift, then it’s fine. In this case it’s a) maintaining a good relationship and b) (hopefully) making a kiddish Hashem

It doesn’t have to be a very selfish reason as long as it’s somewhat selfish

amother
Dahlia

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 8:49 pm
It’s a Jewish thing for preteens to be into playmobile ?

amother
Dahlia

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 8:52 pm
sara1232 wrote:
I've never heard of this. Only time it's problematic is if you're giving it for x-mas or other religious holidays. Otherwise what's the problem?

There’s a prohibition against giving gifts to non-Jews. It’s not as literal as what I just said but there are Halachos.
Here’s a link.
https://outorah.org/p/22117/

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 8:52 pm
amother Dahlia wrote:
It’s a Jewish thing for preteens to be into playmobile ?

I think it’s just that Lego is so much more popular in the non-Jewish world. Playmobil is expensive and it doesn’t require much building which is one of the fun aspects of Lego

amother
Blushpink

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 9:02 pm
Lego. Such a beautiful thing you’re doing
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics