Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Do israelis know how to carry a tune?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 9:27 am
Disclaimer: I am beyond thankful to the IDF. We owe them EVERYTHING and more. I daven for them daily.
Not trying to make fun, but I find it interesting. I’ve watched many clips of them singing and they all seem off tune and off tone. Is it just an Israeli way of singing?
I really hope no one is offended by this!

[mod note: a point of clarity comes out during the thread, that music has unique DNA patterns and notes and music from one part of the world may sound "off" to someone who is not used to it. OP did not mean any harm by her inquiry]

amother
Amaryllis

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 9:28 am
Are you serious? My three top favorite singers are all Israeli... plus many of the others I enjoy. And I did not grow up in EY!

essie14

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 9:29 am
The people.goofing around and making funny videos are not professional singers. They're just regular people having fun.
Many many Israelis are wonderful singers.
If you want I'm happy to post.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 9:30 am
amother Amaryllis wrote:
Are you serious? My three top favorite singers are all Israeli... plus many of the others I enjoy. And I did not grow up in EY!

Maybe Americans just sing differently? Also, I wasn’t talking about top singers. I’m talking about random clips of a group of 10-15 people singing either at happy events or unfortunately sad ones.

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 9:31 am
I have a terrible voice. Should I not sing or should you base all your opinions about song in my community on my voice?

essie14

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 9:34 am

essie14

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 9:35 am
amother OP wrote:
Maybe Americans just sing differently? Also, I wasn’t talking about top singers. I’m talking about random clips of a group of 10-15 people singing either at happy events or unfortunately sad ones.

Yes, ALL Americans sing on tune and NO Israelis are capable of this.
/sarcasm

I'm sorry, but this post is ridiculous.
I've been to hundreds of events in Israel and people sing on tune.

Highstrung

I love that Israelis sing from their souls . They don’t care whether they sound good vocally . It comes from within and that is what matters.

amother
OP

amother Daisy wrote:
I have a terrible voice. Should I not sing or should you base all your opinions about song in my community on my voice?

I don’t have a beautiful voice either. I’m not talking about individuals. I’m talking about probably 20 clips of random groups singing which I’ve watched recently and found this by all. It’s off tone. I wonder if it only sounds like this to someone who didn’t grow up there and they have a different idea of tunes and tones.
Please don’t take this personally. This is under entertainment. I’m just wondering if I’m the only one noticing it? And if it’s because I’m not from Israel.

essie14

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 9:36 am
And apparently you're so embarrassed of even asking this question that you can't even post under your screen name.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 9:39 am
essie14 wrote:

So beautiful and heartfelt!

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 9:39 am
Op I think your post is lashon hora on an entire country of Jewish people. what were you hoping to accomplish with this thread?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 9:41 am
essie14 wrote:
And apparently you're so embarrassed of even asking this question that you can't even post under your screen name.

Right. I do know it’s a dumb question but still was wondering if I’m the only one feeling this way. And once again I’m talking about random clips, not professionals. Maybe it’s just a style I’m not used to.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 9:43 am
Well right now my neighbors are blasting "Bar Yochai" outdoors. In the rain. In January...

amother
Pear

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 9:43 am
amother OP wrote:

have you seen any koolalum clips? they are groups of israeli's and are incredible and definitely on tune.

I think perhaps the issue is that the clips you are watching are of israeli soldiers singing songs that we sing slightly differently in america so it sounds off tune to you. it actually isn't, it's just a slightly different version of whatever it is that you are used to. I've seen many clips like that.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 9:44 am
essie14 wrote:

I love them!!!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 9:44 am
allthingsblue wrote:
Op I think your post is lashon hora on an entire country of Jewish people. what were you hoping to accomplish with this thread?

No major intentions here. I just posted after watching a clip. While their passion made me smile, I couldn’t help noticing the tune again and was just curious. I didn’t consider it LH because it’s not something bad about anyone personally at all. I don’t mind if people talk on me that I don’t sing or dance well.

essie14

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 9:46 am
Ema of 5 wrote:
I love them!!!

Right? This song had me sobbing.
I know far too many couples in this situation.
💔

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 9:48 am
amother Pear wrote:
have you seen any koolalum clips? they are groups of israeli's and are incredible and definitely on tune.

I think perhaps the issue is that the clips you are watching are of israeli soldiers singing songs that we sing slightly differently in america so it sounds off tune to you. it actually isn't, it's just a slightly different version of whatever it is that you are used to. I've seen many clips like that.

Finally someone answering without getting all defensive. So yes, this is exactly what I meant and was wondering if I’m the only one noticing. They are singing songs that I know but slightly off tune/tone. I’ve also seen many clips like that. Hence, my question. Thanks for explaining.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 9:48 am
amother OP wrote:
Right. I do know it’s a dumb question but still was wondering if I’m the only one feeling this way. And once again I’m talking about random clips, not professionals. Maybe it’s just a style I’m not used to.

Have you seen clips of random Americans singing? Or random Europeans? Many of them can’t sing either.
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics