Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Do israelis know how to carry a tune?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

zaq

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 11:27 am
amother OP wrote:
Right. I do know it’s a dumb question but still was wondering if I’m the only one feeling this way. And once again I’m talking about random clips, not professionals. Maybe it’s just a style I’m not used to.

Apparently it's all you. Nobody else seems to have this problem.

WhatFor

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 11:30 am
Onward. Here's Sapir Saban back when she first auditioned on Israel's The Voice. (She won.) If you listen to almost 5 minutes in, she does an impromptu performance (supposedly, it's TV so who knows) with Shlomi Shabbat in Turkish.

Here she is auditioning for Eurovision a few years later. How it must feel to be able to sing like this and make it look as effortless as having a conversation.

Just beautiful.

Here she is singing Naarei shuva aylai. This is the same song that I posted Netta covering earlier. I hadn't watched this one in a while, since before October 7. So I was watching and thinking about how Margol, the judge in the yellow jacket, originally performed this years ago. And she's clearly enjoying Sapir's cover of it. Then the camera went to Netta, who was also a judge that season. And she's good friends with Sapir and clearly loving the song. And she has no idea that in two years she's going to be covering this same song to raise awareness for her drummer's brother (also a drummer) who was taken hostage. And then killed under horrific circumstances. It looks different to watch it now.

Edited to add this because how could I have left it out

Last edited by WhatFor on Thu, Jan 11 2024, 11:45 am; edited 2 times in total

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 11:31 am
I saw a few clips where I commented to DH that the soldiers are so tired and hoarse, they can't hold the tune but at least they still have the spirit. I think under regular circumstances, they would sound better!

amother
Begonia

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 11:38 am
amother OP wrote:
Love it. Mostly on tune but it does have a bit of the tone issue I’m talking about.

I see what you mean. The tune almost gets 'lazy' in the middle.

zaq

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 11:41 am
amother OP wrote:
This is a bit what I meant although with the music it’s sounding okay. The clips I’m talking about didn’t have music to cover up.

EVERYONE sounds better with background music. Everyone. It's not a coverup--it's an enhancement.

But I still challenge you: show us clips of random groups of Americans, say at a ballgame or rally, singing without background music and sounding better.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 11:44 am
amother Begonia wrote:
I see what you mean. The tune almost gets 'lazy' in the middle.

And not only here. I’ve seen it time and again. I didn’t ask this question after the first time I noticed it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 11:44 am
amother Rose wrote:
I saw a few clips where I commented to DH that the soldiers are so tired and hoarse, they can't hold the tune but at least they still have the spirit. I think under regular circumstances, they would sound better!

Makes sense.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 11:47 am
amother Dandelion wrote:
I'm sorry, I don't mean to offend OP, but that was a really....ummm...narish question. Israelis are people just like everyone else. If you took a sample of random untrained Americans or Indians or Jordanians or Ecuadorians or Ukrainians and recorded them singing, you'd get the identical results. Some people are great singers--there's no lack of great Israeli singers, some have even won in Eurovision if I'm not mistaken--and some couldn't carry a tune in a bucket. JUST LIKE EVERYONE EVERYWHERE. Israeli music is a mix of many different genres of music, both Western and Middle Eastern. As has been said, Mizrachi (Middle Eastern)music uses a different scale from the Western scale, so it may sound odd, flat, and monotonous to you, but that has nothing to do with being able or unable to carry a tune.

So I did mention “tone” along with tune from the beginning. Maybe the question was narish and first world problems, but at this point I see that many people got what I’m talking about.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 11:50 am
essie14 wrote:

This was one of the saddest songs but also strongest songs that I have ever heard. Crying Crying Crying

zaq

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 11:51 am
WhatFor wrote:
These are people cheering and chanting. They're on a battlefield and declaring a cause. Yes, I know it's a Chanukah prayer, but they're not singing in a chorus and they aren't in a position where they can relax or meditate on what they're singing.

On that point alone, lehavdil, go find a clip from the stands of an American ballgame and see if Americans there are singing that much better.

Now to add to the above: when was the last time these soldiers slept in a bed? How much sleep did they get last night? How much water do you think they're drinking while on the field to lubricate their vocal cords? How long have they been outdoors and what's the humidity/dryness out there? How long that day have they already been actively moving around? When they're in combat, do you think they're talking to each other in a normal tone or do you think maybe they need to raise their voices constantly to communicate over the shooting and explosions? How are their hormones (and therefore voices among many other things) affected by the threat of living under gunfire and witnessing some of their friends be murdered r"l?

Most Americans singing together had a normal night sleep last night, typical meals, typical water supply, maybe they worked out for an hour or two in the past forty eight hours before having a shower. If it was hot outside they were in the air conditioning, and if it was cold, they had their heat on.

I wouldn't form an opinion on anyone's capacity to sing based on how they sounded while chanting on deployment during active combat.

Brava! Brava!Brava!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 11:54 am
WhatFor wrote:
I can't leave out a Raviv Kaner appreciation post:

An audition before he was officially a singer

Heartbreaking song he wrote about friends he lost in a prior battle in Gaza Sad Unfortunately still relevant.

Beautiful cover of yerushalayim shel zahav

Just causally being able to sound this good on a phone camera recording while singing Shir lamaalot from his porch (during covid).

Taking a back seat to Ninet Tayeb

Wow! Golden Buzzer worthy audition!

zaq

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 12:01 pm
kenz wrote:
OP was bored and looking for conversation everyone, not bashing the IDF. May they be gebentched, each and every one.

Then she should have quit after "I daven for them daily" and omitted the derogatory portion of her post, which served zero purpose other than to denigrate Israelis in general, the IDF in particular, and get a lot of people hot under the collar.

Let's start over with an example of how OP could have done better:

"I am beyond thankful to the IDF. We owe them EVERYTHING and more. I daven for them daily. I'm starting this thread for people to post stories, video clips, or just their thoughts about what they admire about or wish for Tzahal."

Go to https://tehillimlechayal.org/ to get the name of an IDF soldier and a perek of Tehillim to say in his or her zechut. You can do this as many times a day as you like.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 12:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m also very sensitive to bad singing. Literally hurts my ears. No, not mizrachi. Just general clips of people singing at the kotel or unfortunately funerals, etc. I think Pear explained it best. They just have a different version of singing the same songs I grew up with so it seems off to me.

You are watching a funeral and this is what you are thinking of? Yuck.

Or clips of soldiers singing? They're not there to entertain, they're there to fight and defend the rest of us. What is wrong with you?

essie14

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 12:13 pm
Bibi Netanyahu....not a great Israeli singer LOL

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 12:23 pm
I saw a beautiful clip of a an opera singer. I appreciate opera. So it was special to me to see an Israeli soldier singing opera in Gaza.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 12:32 pm
The original post is the kind of thoughts you think in your head but don't say out loud!
I'm enjoying all the music posted though.
Yonina's new song has my heart. It's so haunting and overwhelmingly heartfelt.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 12:45 pm
essie14 wrote:
Bibi Netanyahu....not a great Israeli singer LOL

Omg! This sums it up! LOL with a PM singing like this, what can we expect from his citizens? But his partner in singing saves the day here.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 12:47 pm
asmileaday wrote:
The original post is the kind of thoughts you think in your head but don't say out loud!
I'm enjoying all the music posted though.

Yonina's new song has my heart. It's so haunting and overwhelmingly heartfelt.

Agree!

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 12:50 pm
Lol op you should have known better than to come on here and touch the Israeli pride

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 12:56 pm
amother Denim wrote:
Lol op you should have known better than to come on here and touch the Israeli pride

But I don’t blame the posters who took it to heart. For someone who’s tone sensitive like me, it was a bit “tone deaf“ to post this at such a time. I should’ve asked this question last year. And maybe ask “Do israelis sing with a different tone than Americans”. Oh well. You live and learn! I’m glad I inspired some positive entertainment on this thread too.
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics