Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
PSA for teachers giving midterms

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 12:56 pm
And eventually finals.

If you teach more than one section of the same class, it is on you to determine how much each class has learned and test them accordingly. If one section got cancelled more than others for reasons outside the students' (or your) control, it is not right to give the two classes the same test. It's also not right to motor through the last two classes at a pace that is impossible for many students, to make up the material and then give the same test. Even if the kids were all required to do reading that covered it, some of them covered entire units in class too and some didn't. And they are all being graded the same.

Yes, it's a royal pain and you already don't get paid enough for all the work you do outside school- I understand. And I know you may have been trying to get the school to cancel less of your classes, or not to schedule one of the sections in that slot. But it's still necessary to make separate tests- the students shouldn't pay for it.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 12:57 pm
As a teacher that makes sense.
Keeping the classes on par is usually a priority for teachers. If anything I’d try to somehow slow down the other class so they can be at the same place (I do more enrichment) but sometimes there are curriculum pressures.
But your point is fair.

TravelHearter

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 1:04 pm
My teachers never tested us on things we didn’t cover..sometimes they told us to cross of a question or two.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics