Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Walking a mile… in my house
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 1:38 pm
I NEED to exercise or at least go walking. I need this for my weight and my health.
This month I told myself that no matter what I will go walking at least 3x a week. Problem is half the month passed and I only walked 2x. Bottom line, I do not like being outdoors. The wind bothers me or the cold weather now. In the spring and summer it’s the hot weather that bothers me. Or the rain… always some excuse and walking just never happens. I also like being in comfortable clothing, not anything I feel okay wearing outside and I like my slippers too. My outdoor comfortable shoes never feel good and my feet hurt (I’ve tried many pairs). So walking just doesn’t work out.
The other day I decided to “walk” in my house. I have a long hallway that goes to the kitchen which connects to the living room, then dining room and then back to the hallway… so I walked.. and walked for around 15 minutes. App on my phone shows that I walked 1 mile. If I do this a few times a week is it worth anything? I know that there are benefits to the outdoor air and sunshine but it just doesn’t work for me. Can I “walk” in my house and get the same health benefits? (I’m talking about weight and blood pressure issues.)

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 1:40 pm
Absolutely

balance

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 1:41 pm
Why on earth not? It's no different than using a treadmill at the gym.

listenhere

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 1:41 pm
Of course it will help, I don’t see why not. Every minute of movement makes a difference. The fact that for some people being outdoors is good for their emotional wellbeing doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t do as much as you can of whatever works for you.

There is also this machine called a treadmill that might work for you…

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 1:43 pm
listenhere wrote:
Of course it will help, I don’t see why not. Every minute of movement makes a difference. The fact that for some people being outdoors is good for their emotional wellbeing doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t do as much as you can of whatever works for you.

There is also this machine called a treadmill that might work for you…

lol! Yes.. I’ve heard of this machine!
I have people living under me so I’m not so sure they would appreciate it…

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 1:44 pm
balance wrote:
Why on earth not? It's no different than using a treadmill at the gym.

Thank you! I feel encouraged!

amother
Raspberry

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 1:54 pm
Only question is don’t you get dizzy from walking and turning? I could see myself bumping into walls at some point…

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 2:00 pm
amother Raspberry wrote:
Only question is don’t you get dizzy from walking and turning? I could see myself bumping into walls at some point…

No, this doesn’t happen to me. I feel so much better just being indoors than outside.
The only time I felt a little dizzy was when I looked down at my phone and tried to read the screen for a while. Otherwise I was fine.

happy7

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 2:00 pm
You can get many benefits just from walking in your house, but it doesn’t get your heart rate up like walking on a treadmill or outdoors

amother
DarkGreen

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 2:03 pm
https://www.youtube.com/@Lesli.....tHome
She has loads of videos for walking at home. 1, 3, 5 miles. Its great.

tweety1

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 2:05 pm
amother Raspberry wrote:

Lol. So true. I tried it. I gave up very fast. Lasted maybe 5 min. The next day I decided to take a different route and that lasted 3 min.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 2:09 pm
Reading through thread I knew my response. can't believe last post beat me to recommending Leslie Sampson. Yup in house walking can be awesome. Step it up add some kicks and squats etc. Enjoy

amother
Lightblue

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 2:11 pm
R u only interested in walking? Just curious if you wanted some variation, you could go up & down even 1 or 2 stairs, or buy a "step" to include stepping up & down.
Or even put on music & dance to if it's movement you're trying to incorporate more of.
"If it aint broken don't fix it" so if you enjoy just walking then that's wonderful. just adding my thoughts, I exercise at home too but need variety as I get bored easily.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 2:15 pm
Put in some earbuds with a 20min podcast or a 20min playlist. Go until it stops. Try to add some variation.

essie14

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 2:40 pm
amother DarkGreen wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/@LeslieSansonesWalkatHome

I second this. She's terrific!

amother
Poinsettia

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 2:53 pm
Ok so I've been counting my daily steps and trying to increase them as much as possible, at same time as exercise and dieting.
An idea I came up with and have been doing for months now - I walk a huge circuit in my house whilst davening. If my davening takes 20 minutes, for example, I can usually get in approximately 2000 steps. I won't do it if DH or DC are around, because it's super irritating for someone else to watch me walk past them again, and again, and again ...
I was dizzy first day or two, but by now it's the most normal thing for me, and I believe any movement is beneficial.
It doesn't detract from my davening because I'm mindlessly walking the circuit whilst focusing on my davening. It's my downstairs, so I know the layout, it's a circular route and I can get all those steps in.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 3:01 pm
When I had a similar issue I turned on music videos and danced. Was able to work up a sweat in a very small space.

ilovestrollers

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 3:02 pm
Leslie Sansone is great!

amother DarkGreen wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/@LeslieSansonesWalkatHome

UQT

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 3:11 pm
Another Leslie fan! I call it my old lady workout.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 3:56 pm
Thank you for all these good ideas! I’m happy I started this thread!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise